The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Not sure where all this Higgins does not produce points come from. He is 5th in scoring on our team.

Having said that I still want to Baertschi on the second line in place of Higgins. His speed, skills and vision is exciting even with such small sample size.

I think Matthias should get a shot on the 2nd because of his ability to keep the puck and dish it off.

Sven B might do well there but that is likely next year. Matthias has produced 18 goals this year. Back

to my thesis that these playoffs are about making decisions about next year. I think Higgins will be gone but the jury might be out on Matthias. I want a look at what he can do.

His 18 goals are due to an unsustainable shooting %. Someone's also going to likely offer him something like $3.5m-$4m X 4 years for his career year that we won't be able to match. The only way we retain him is if he REALLY likes it here and signs for ~$2.5m.

I'd rather keep Higgins in a checking/PK/leadership role (all of which he's superior to Matthias at) at $2.5m than pay Matthias anywhere near $3.5m (and for less points). That said, frankly, I think they're both likely gone next year.

Edited by J.R.

kenins was great all game until the final shift of the game when they got caught in their end for 50 seconds and he was completely gassed and failed to make a play at the point to get it out and change. basing his entire game on a single shift is ludacris. the horvat line was basically in the other teams zone all game long up until that point. OrrFour is so out to lunch on this, he's out to dinner

49d3bdd19b64e.jpg

But yeah, I don't think Baertschi will be a saviour of any kind for us, especially when you consider the Bonino line was one of if not our worst last night. Adding Baertschi to the mix isn't going to have the Bennett-like effect you're all hoping for.

I wouldn't mind seeing him up to see more of what he can do (and I agree that Matthias had some issues with his overall game last night and will likely be replaced by Baertschi next year) but he'll do well with the experience of leading the Comets through the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

But yeah, I don't think Baertschi will be a saviour of any kind for us, especially when you consider the Bonino line was one of if not our worst last night. Adding Baertschi to the mix isn't going to have the Bennett-like effect you're all hoping for.

As I said, I'm doubtful it happens. It's not a WD move. If we're at a point where he's considering it, we're in BIG trouble.

Frankly it's more likely Kassian swaps in (*crosses fingers*). Though I doubt he'd be in game shape to play 1st line with the twins where he could have the biggest impact (moves Burrows to the second, Higgins to the third). He'd likely start out on that third line anyway, moving Dorsett to Horvat's line and Kenins to the press box.

to be fair, Cheezer has played in 69 NHL games now, and he has always shown more than vey has. I'm not discrediting vey here, but Cheezer is a far superior player.

Baertschi NHL totals: 69GP 10G 20A 30Pts 26PIM

Vey NHL totals: 93GP 10G 19A 29Pts 18PIM

That speaks volumes, and it includes all the misused and mismanaged confidence-killing time on the Flames.

And includes the codling and 1st unit PP vey got

• Upvote 3

49d3bdd19b64e.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing him up to see more of what he can do (and I agree that Matthias had some issues with his overall game last night and will likely be replaced by Baertschi next year) but he'll do well with the experience of leading the Comets through the playoffs.

stupid autocorrect.

• Upvote 3

I think Beartschi and Kassian could turn this series around if they were both in the lineup.

I didn't like Kenins' game last night. Aside from him hit in the 1st, he was shooting into feet, getting shots blocked and din't use him teammates all that well.

Higgins is probably the most frustrating player to watch right now. He just doesn't do anything "well". I know you guys think that Baerstchi would be a saviour, but he would be better than whatever Higgins' bringing on the 2nd line. That 2nd line can't keep up with the face paced Calgary lineup.

I wish we knew more about the Kassian injury, because I really feel like he could be a game changer for this series. He could be a difference maker in a series that lacks a player like him.

Daniel Henrik Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Burrows Richardson Matthias

Drosett Horvat Hansen

That lineup won't happen because of business and politics though, but I think that would give us the best chance to win this series (obviously barring Kass' health).

I think Matthias should get a shot on the 2nd because of his ability to keep the puck and dish it off.

Sven B might do well there but that is likely next year. Matthias has produced 18 goals this year. Back

to my thesis that these playoffs are about making decisions about next year. I think Higgins will be gone but the jury might be out on Matthias. I want a look at what he can do.

YESS!!! He can protect the puck and get it to Vrbata for a shot. Bonino and Higgins can't do that.

Albeit against lesser competition, he certainly got the second line going the past two games they played together -- most dangerous that line's looked in months.

I think Beartschi is pretty solid. Hes going to get all the opportunity he can hope for. Really its up to him and I think he will be fine. In regards to his two goal evening. Some of the credit has to go to it being " Get the kids goals night ". Vrbata looked on a mission to just get him the puck ASAP, every single time. He didnt look weak or small which really bodes well for him.

I'm a big Kenins fan but he really struggled in the offensive zone despite good work by hansen and horvat.

If he's not hitting he's a real liabliltiy but when he does he's a major asset.

I hope he's able to get more hits tmrw.

I'm not a fan of mattias but I don't think desjardins will bench him.

If mattias is going to the net he's a major asset. Hope he does tmrw.

Daniel -Henrik -Burrows

Baertschi -Bonino -Vrbata

Higgins-Richardson -Dorsett

Kenins or Mattias -Horvat -Hansen

• Upvote 1

I'm a big Kenins fan but he really struggled in the offensive zone despite good work by hansen and horvat.

If he's not hitting he's a real liabliltiy but when he does he's a major asset.

I hope he's able to get more hits tmrw.

I'm not a fan of mattias but I don't think desjardins will bench him.

If mattias is going to the net he's a major asset. Hope he does tmrw.

Daniel -Henrik -Burrows

Baertschi -Bonino -Vrbata

Higgins-Richardson -Dorsett

Kenins or Mattias -Horvat -Hansen

I would move Matthias to 2LW and Higgins to 3LW. Sven B is not likely to be called. The 2nd line is a

big ???? Richardson turns the 3rd line around whenever he is in. Yes, Matthias could finish checks a lot more but then so could Bonino who seems to get a bye on that topic. Higgins finishes checks usually. I often think there are to many nice guys on the Canucks to actually win playoffs. Physical play is not a option in CUP games.

The funny thing about all the "Higgins isn't a 2nd liner" talk is that Chris Higgins probably agrees with most of it.

Chris's brother posts from time-to-time on HFBoards and he actually mentioned this issue recently. In a nutshell, he said that Higgins would very much prefer to play a 3rd line role and feels that he's playing a little "above his pay grade" when he's tasked with a scoring role in the Canucks' top-six (sorry I can't link the post right now, but it was from the last 1-2 months--and the Mods on HFBoards claim to have checked and confirmed the ID of Higgins' brother's account).

It's just interesting because it seems like, at times (especially when Chris gets into one of his inevitable scoring slumps), people get on Higgins for not performing up to their expectations of "top-six" scoring. But he's really not even playing a role he wants on this team or where he feels truly comfortable or effective. Higgins is just being a good pro and doing whatever the coaches ask of him (as he's always done throughout his career).

It's on the coaches and management. The coaches pick the lines and the deployment/usage. Management supplies the personnel (or lack thereof).

A player is asked to perform to the best of his abilities (which Higgins does every game--there's no questioning his work ethic IMO). It's up to coaching and management to put a player in the position where he fits and can best succeed.

And I'm sure they know how Chris feels about his role.

I would imagine that Willie just doesn't believe that he has a better option (in the immediate sense) than Higgins for the #2LW spot on this season's team. And he's probably right about that on most nights.

As for Benning, his acquisition of Baertschi and his draft choices (Virtanen) seem to suggest he trying to upgrade the winger options for the top-six. He's already done well on the right side with adding Vrbata. And hopefully we'll see things come to fruition on the left side soon.

I agree with most posters on here that the natural fit for Baertschi next season is at #2LW. Hopefully he proves he's ready. And hopefully that allows Higgins to slide back to #3LW (assuming he's still a Canuck) and play the kind of role he's clearly best suited for.

But until then, you won't ever hear me dogging on Chris Higgins. Desjardins and/or Benning, on the other hand... ;)

Makes total sense. In the off season it will be how many vets do you keep on a roster which will have more youth knocking on the door. If Sven B makes the club will it be as Horvat's LW or Bonino's? Hate to say it but my hand would go up on Horvat's name. (meaning player preference). Does SB-Bonino-Vrbata

make sense? I still think Matthias gets a look at 2LW if he is re-signed. When you look at the size of all the real playoff contenders they are huge. Hard to walk away from Matthias if his game can be re-

fined.