The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

For all of you that miss Sven's goals, here's a quick clip of them all. They are in the first 40secs@720p:

Blashill sounds like he's mimicking Babcock's speech pattern and voice.

It's kind of weird tbh

He coaches the same system as Babcock as well.

Sven is going to be great next year! I just wish willie played him more in the playoffs as we might have beat calgary if he did, but willie had to bury him with like only 10 mins of ice time.

Yeah because no one ever scores "a few" goals in the AHL and doesn't cut it right away in the NHL. Have you seen Vey's record and he was picked 83 places lower.

He was played all he could handle by Willie. That is how Willie coaches, he puts the players development first, that's why he doesn't "break" them.

We signed Garrison as a free agent, it cost us no assets. Got two years out of him, flipped him for a 2nd round pick. Even if Vey doesn't pan out 1. Only 1/5 2nd liners do and 2. We traded an asset we got for free to acquire him.

The only player picked in the 2009 2nd round pick that would make me lose any sleep if we missed out on is Ryan O'Reilly, although Gelinas or Tatar would also be awesome players to have (interestingly Tatar was my first choice for our pick, Gelinas was 2nd). We selected Rodin, the 50th pick was Kenny Ryan. Between 1999-2011 Milan Lucic and Chris Thoburn are the only 50th picks to become full-time players.

Vey isn't done yet. He has some encouraging signs last year, even if his season was a flop overall. Tatar is about a year ahead in development. He played FOUR full seasons in the AHL with only 8 points in 27 NHL games to that point. The idea that Vey could score 19 goals, 39 points next season isn't far fetched. IF he can do that, I think he develops into a 2nd line player. If he repeats this season his NHL career is done.

Baertschi is in a very different boat. Unlike Tatar who made it because of great development, Baertschi hasn't made it because of poor development. This year he looks much better in the blue and green, and is a clear step-up from our other offensive prospects like Jensen and Shinkaruk.

Edited by canucklehead44

Sven is going to be great next year! I just wish willie played him more in the playoffs as we might have beat calgary if he did, but willie had to bury him with like only 10 mins of ice time.

Why play Baertschi on the 2nd line when you've got Higgins?!

Good post Canucklehead 44

Your comments on Vey are optimistic but possible. We aren't seeing much of that on CDC. The progress of Vey's career has been steady and not unimpressive. I would not be surprised to see a breakout next year but I'm being optimistic.

Baertschi is a year behind Vey in age, maybe not development. We may or may not see a similar breakout in this upcoming season from the Baer. He'll certainly start on the 3rd line and may replace Higgins at 2LW by the end of the season if Higgins is still here.

Edited by Crabcakes

Good post Canucklehead 44

Your comments on Vey are optimistic but possible. We aren't seeing much of that on CDC. The progress of Vey's career has been steady and not unimpressive. I would not be surprised to see a breakout next year but I'm being optimistic.

Baertschi is a year behind Vey in age, maybe not development. We may or may not see a similar breakout in this upcoming season from the Baer. He'll certainly start on the 3rd line and may replace Higgins at 2LW by the end of the season if Higgins is still here.

You are kidding right?? He will not start on the third. He is a top 6 prospect and that is why Benning traded for him. He is elite. Higgens never was a 2nd liner, except to play through injuries etc.

Vey has not displayed any of the attributes required for a small non-physcial forward to make it in the NHL. This year is likely make it or break it. He is also likely the 13th forward.