The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

You are kidding right?? He will not start on the third. He is a top 6 prospect and that is why Benning traded for him. He is elite. Higgens never was a 2nd liner, except to play through injuries etc.

Vey has not displayed any of the attributes required for a small non-physcial forward to make it in the NHL. This year is likely make it or break it. He is also likely the 13th forward.

Sven B is not a guarantee. If he was Calgary never would have moved him. The gamble Benning made a 2nd rounder for a player who could be 're-built' to the talent shown at the junior level. Calgary admitted the only NHL team to offer them a 2nd was Van. Not a huge endorsement of Sven B no matter how optimistic CDC fans.

I am hoping Higgins will be gone and that SB gets a shot at 2LW. I would suggest that Vey has shown more battle physically than what I have seen from SB.

Sven B is not a guarantee. If he was Calgary never would have moved him. The gamble Benning made a 2nd rounder for a player who could be 're-built' to the talent shown at the junior level. Calgary admitted the only NHL team to offer them a 2nd was Van. Not a huge endorsement of Sven B no matter how optimistic CDC fans.

I am hoping Higgins will be gone and that SB gets a shot at 2LW. I would suggest that Vey has shown more battle physically than what I have seen from SB.

But Baertschi is 3x more skilled than Vey. I don't know if you have watched any Utica game but he is by far the best player on the ice everytime he on the ice. The way he sees the ice is second to non

But Baertschi is 3x more skilled than Vey. I don't know if you have watched any Utica game but he is by far the best player on the ice everytime he on the ice. The way he sees the ice is second to non

His vision is amazing, will only get sooo much better once Henrik Sedin gets done w. Him.

Again I would caution that there was not another offer from a NHL team for Sven B. My comment about Vey was not a put down of SB's vision. Neither SB or Vey have any certainty. The nice thing about this situation is that Vancouver is developing options. The

org depth is improving. Odds are that someone will surprise.

Again I would caution that there was not another offer from a NHL team for Sven B. My comment about Vey was not a put down of SB's vision. Neither SB or Vey have any certainty. The nice thing about this situation is that Vancouver is developing options. The

org depth is improving. Odds are that someone will surprise.

Not true Trevling said "Vancouver was the only team to offer a 2nd" indicating that he had other offers but for lower picks

Edited by Gstank29

You are kidding right?? He will not start on the third. He is a top 6 prospect and that is why Benning traded for him. He is elite. Higgens never was a 2nd liner, except to play through injuries etc.

Vey has not displayed any of the attributes required for a small non-physcial forward to make it in the NHL. This year is likely make it or break it. He is also likely the 13th forward.

You know this was veys first full season right? Canucks fans have this obnoxious love for kassian whos done nothing since being a canuck, with numerous seasons under his belt and yet linden vey has had one season and hes being thrown under the bus. I wasnt a massive fan of vey this season but im also of the mind that its still way too early to label him a bust just yet

• Upvote 2

Stormriders

For the record, I think that Baertschi will be the Canucks future 2LW at least. I also think that Willie is going to make him earn that spot and prove that he's ready before he gets it. Maybe he'll earn it out of camp but he'll have to show that he's the best option.

So, maybe I didn't word my comment in the best way. He is top 6 material but I also think that if they put him with Horvat and Hansen, there is some reasonable skill and speed on the line while he earns the 2nd line spot.

I'd rather that he not be given the 2nd line spot and have it taken away because he wasn't ready. Better he play on the 3rd line too long than to regress.

Stormriders

For the record, I think that Baertschi will be the Canucks future 2LW at least. I also think that Willie is going to make him earn that spot and prove that he's ready before he gets it. Maybe he'll earn it out of camp but he'll have to show that he's the best option.

So, maybe I didn't word my comment in the best way. He is top 6 material but I also think that if they put him with Horvat and Hansen, there is some reasonable skill and speed on the line while he earns the 2nd line spot.

I'd rather that he not be given the 2nd line spot and have it taken away because he wasn't ready. Better he play on the 3rd line too long than to regress.

Crabcakes,

If you don't think he makes the second line, then who do you think is ahead of him? The problem with our second line last year was lack of scoring. It was NOT fast, dangerous, or dynamic. You need to allow a player like Sven to have the opportunity to be successful by playing him with other higher skilled and faster players. I recall last year they GAVE Vey those type of opportunities on the second line, including 1st line pp time without earning them, and he has never had the raw potential of Sven.

BTW, I think a line of Horvat, Hansen, and Sven would be interesting if you wanted to balance your lines. And, for the record, I think Horvat showed he was their second best centre and definitely outplayed Bonino. He was better on the dot, a faster skater, and more points when it counted, in the playoffs. Yes he has lots of room to grow, but there too is the potential.

I'd love it if Kassian was with the twins and Baer on the second but I doubt that happens at least at the start of the season (maybe later on in it) but...

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen (Baer and Burr could easily swap here as well)

Higgins, ???, Dorsett

...would be what I'd like to see.

Though I have a feeling WD's going to start with...

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Higgins, ( :picard: ), Bonino, Vrbata

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Dorsett, ???, Kassian

..and I'll cry a little that Higgins is still on the 2nd :(

I'd love it if Kassian was with the twins and Baer on the second but I doubt that happens at least at the start of the season (maybe later on in it) but...

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen (Baer and Burr could easily swap here as well)

Higgins, ???, Dorsett

...would be what I'd like to see.

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Dorsett, ???, Kassian

I think one of hansen, higgy or kassian will be gone next year, I see Virtanen in that 4th line winger spot. Then perhaps the value coming back from the trade is a fourth line centre, unless they choose to go with a rookie...ie/ cassels, McCann or even Gaunce. However if they do that, I worry we might have too much youth on that 4th line and not enough vet presence.

I think one of hansen, higgy or kassian will be gone next year, I see Virtanen in that 4th line winger spot. Then perhaps the value coming back from the trade is a fourth line centre, unless they choose to go with a rookie...ie/ cassels, McCann or even Gaunce. However if they do that, I worry we might have too much youth on that 4th line and not enough vet presence.

If they go with an AHL/Junior option for the 4C slot, I'm hoping they surround him with veteran wingers. I could see something like:

Dorsett - Cassels - Hansen being an effective shutdown unit, though it's highly unlikely Cassels will make the team next year.

It's too bad the team is hellbent on turning Gaunce into a LW, because his age/size/skillset fits the 4C needs of the team pretty perfectly.

Virtanen may warrant a look on the third line:

Higgins - Horvat - Virtanen looks to be a pretty safe mix to me--at least on paper. Horvat and Higgins are defensive stalwarts beyond all reproach and Virtanen looks to have his defensive game in order as well. My only concern is that Higgins may be an offensive anchor that brings down that entire line. Those three together may only produce 25-30 points each over an entire season and that's not something anyone wants for Horvat or Virtanen. It is encouraging that Horvat has shown he can produce points even with guys you wouldn't typically expect offence from--he makes players around him better--though Higgins' ability to negate his linemate's offensive production can not be underestimated (*ahem*AMEX line/any PP unit with him on it/anytime Higgins and Bonino saw ice at the same time).

As for Sven, I think you have to play the guy at 2LW. He will be an instant upgrade on last year's model and has the potential to make that second line dynamic. If WD/the organization can get over whatever issue they seemingly has with Kassian, we could see a really dynamic 2nd line start to take shape.

Baertschi - Bonino - Kassian

A shifty second line with a good mix of skill, speed, and size. Shame that Zack will probably be traded for a second round pick at the draft (not really based on anything, though the fact that JB has been on 1040 twice in the last few weeks and no one has really asked about him leads me to believe that there is a team-mandated fatwa against the topic of ZK while they desperately try to divest themselves of the enigmatic forward).

I'd be willing to wager that there's probably a whiteboard in WD's office that looks something like this:

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Not bad, but soft as charmin under running water. I don't particularly like the chemistry between Bonino and Vrbata: both shoot first players who aren't exactly creative with the puck on their stick. There's going to be a metric ton of pressure on Baertschi to make plays in the offensive zone because of this, and that's a bad situation to thrust a young player into.

No sorry, Horvat isn't quite ready for 2nd line role yet.

Vrbata- Bonino- Bae

Is a possibility.

If you watched the playoffs or maybe you didn't watch but read the paper relying on the opinion of others or maybe you can't read letters but instead just looked at the stat line you would be convinced Horvat is better than Bonino. Bonino said himself he feels like more of a 3C and they he is not comfortable being relied upon to put up big numbers Edited by Canucks Curse

If you watched the playoffs or maybe you didn't watch but read the paper relying on the opinion of others or maybe you can't read letters but instead just looked at the stat line you would be convinced Horvat is better than Bonino. Bonino said himself he feels like more of a 3C and they he is not comfortable being relied upon to put up big numbers

Firstly, on what grounds are you even making that statement?

Guy is only giving his opinion yet you make it seem yours is fact.

Horvat looked good yes, but the responsibility of a fourth line centre contains far less pressure than being a top six producing centre. Horvat had good looks and could eventually fit that role, but six games doesn't warrant him to be the second line pivot. WD has made it almost a standard that everything is going to be earned, and Bo Horvat has the potential to be a very good second line center will have to work very hard for that job. He won't be given it yet. I think next season he could find his way eventually as the second line center, but going off several examples like Kesler, backes, Zetterberg, Datsyuk etc list goes on they all work their way up slowly and surely which is why they are such forces now in the NHL. Because they were given opportunities but also worked hard to earn those spots...Horvat looks really good but he will have to show a lot more before he can be considered a "second line center" in the NHL

Same for Baertschi...everyone assumes he will be the second line winger right from the get go...no matter the skill and talent the kid has he still has to earn it. I don't doubt eventually he will find his way into the top six, but as we have learned from WD you gotta show that you can be consistent not just a few games but through a larger sample.

Secondly,

Go watch from 6:00 again...where in the world did you come across Bonino saying he feels better as a 3rd line C or that he isn't comfortable in that role?

He said that his fast start may have mislead people to think he was a 50 goal scorer. That he isn't but still can be a capable two way center lining up against top competition.

So where did you get that piece? Please find that for me because that has been the only time Nick Bonino has spoken to media about his role. So maybe after you accused the person above of reading skewed ideas from others maybe you should take a look at yourself, maybe your statement is a skewed interpretation you have made yourself or have created.

Maybe if you watched the video properly or maybe you didn't watch it but read the paper relying on the opinion of others or maybe you can't read letters can I assume you did that too?

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Dorsett, ???, Kassian

What have I told you about this? You're going to seriously harm yourself if you don't stop.

No sorry, Horvat isn't quite ready for 2nd line role yet.

Horvat may not be ready (as the team deems him) but he is already the second-best offensive C on the team and the best face-off man (not to mention fastest, strongest, and most physical). He ended the year with defacto 3C minutes, and will almost certainly be at defacto 2C minutes by some point this coming season.

If they go with an AHL/Junior option for the 4C slot, I'm hoping they surround him with veteran wingers. I could see something like:

Dorsett - Cassels - Hansen being an effective shutdown unit, though it's highly unlikely Cassels will make the team next year.

It's too bad the team is hellbent on turning Gaunce into a LW, because his age/size/skillset fits the 4C needs of the team pretty perfectly.

Virtanen may warrant a look on the third line:

Higgins - Horvat - Virtanen looks to be a pretty safe mix to me--at least on paper. Horvat and Higgins are defensive stalwarts beyond all reproach and Virtanen looks to have his defensive game in order as well. My only concern is that Higgins may be an offensive anchor that brings down that entire line. Those three together may only produce 25-30 points each over an entire season and that's not something anyone wants for Horvat or Virtanen. It is encouraging that Horvat has shown he can produce points even with guys you wouldn't typically expect offence from--he makes players around him better--though Higgins' ability to negate his linemate's offensive production can not be underestimated (*ahem*AMEX line/any PP unit with him on it/anytime Higgins and Bonino saw ice at the same time).

As for Sven, I think you have to play the guy at 2LW. He will be an instant upgrade on last year's model and has the potential to make that second line dynamic. If WD/the organization can get over whatever issue they seemingly has with Kassian, we could see a really dynamic 2nd line start to take shape.

Baertschi - Bonino - Kassian

A shifty second line with a good mix of skill, speed, and size. Shame that Zack will probably be traded for a second round pick at the draft (not really based on anything, though the fact that JB has been on 1040 twice in the last few weeks and no one has really asked about him leads me to believe that there is a team-mandated fatwa against the topic of ZK while they desperately try to divest themselves of the enigmatic forward).

I'd be willing to wager that there's probably a whiteboard in WD's office that looks something like this:

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Not bad, but soft as charmin under running water. I don't particularly like the chemistry between Bonino and Vrbata: both shoot first players who aren't exactly creative with the puck on their stick. There's going to be a metric ton of pressure on Baertschi to make plays in the offensive zone because of this, and that's a bad situation to thrust a young player into.

I think most ppl would be happy if Virt first made the team, and was able to produce 0.3 ppg in his first year as an NHLer lol..