The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Not sure why the team WOULDN'T want to sign Baertschi to a 1-way deal. Assuming he makes the team it's a moot point. If he doesn't make the team, a 1-way deal increases the chances he clears waivers down to Utica.

Either way it doesn't hurt the Canucks except in costing them more should he play in Utica (but that would mean they retain him rather than lose to waivers so it's a "good" problem). If he is claimed it becomes another team's problem.

Strikes me that this is a sign maybe the guy deosn't have faith in his own abilities. Hey if you're as good we're told, you should make the roster easy on your ability. If however you're depending on a contract wording....?

Sven has earned his one way contact. Kid is going to play in the bigs anyway, might as well give it to him. Just to be clear, one way or two way doesn't affect his waiver exemption. He's not waiver exempt that's a fact.

Biggest holdup I believe would be term. It's great to see that he wants to commit to Vancouver, but if Sven becomes a legit top six player and we can sign him long term to a 2 million cap hit or so, then it could really be a huge bargain in the long run.

Strikes me that this is a sign maybe the guy deosn't have faith in his own abilities. Hey if you're as good we're told, you should make the roster easy on your ability. If however you're depending on a contract wording....?

Or maybe a sign of a guy who feels (correctly or incorrectly) that he was jerked around by his previous team and realizes that at 23 he needs to make the NHL now or never. I doubt it means he doesn't have confidence in his abilities but perhaps means he doesn't have confidence in his situation.

This is the freaking problem with this team. Give him a 1 way and let him play, Vey got a chance last year he was coming out of the AHL and the same thing with Sven, he has played in the NHL before he isn't a complete rookie. Our problem with our team is simple guys like Higgins,Hansen and Burrows hogg the ice time even though they don't do jack sqaut and young players have to continue to prove themselves! What else does this guy need to do to earn a NHL contract. Time to start rewarding potential and skill.

I'm confused what exactly is needed for a player to get a chance in Vancity. The guy busted his ass off in the AHL is that worth anything?

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

This is the freaking problem with this team. Give him a 1 way and let him play, Vey got a chance last year he was coming out of the AHL and the same thing with Sven, he has played in the NHL before he isn't a complete rookie. Our problem with our team is simple guys like Higgins,Hansen and Burrows hogg the ice time even though they don't do jack sqaut and young players have to continue to prove themselves! What else does this guy need to do to earn a NHL contract. Time to start rewarding potential and skill.

I'm confused what exactly is needed for a player to get a chance in Vancity. The guy busted his ass off in the AHL is that worth anything?

Please stop following the Canucks.

Please stop following the Canucks.

tell me what the player has to do to a earn one-way contract? My question is simple how can management sit across the table and even offer him a two- way. Don't you think its disrespecting to a guy who did everything he was asked last year? He was one of the best players on Utica and played with a injury in the finals, so how does management sit across the table and say we want to give you a two-way contract?

• Upvote 1

A little background research would do you good.

Vey was on a two-way one year contract last season. And if you recall, it took a little time getting Vey signed. So much so that Tony Gallagher, in his infinite wisdom, was touting how Vey had all this leverage because he was the only right-handed center, and because of it, Vey was in a position to make all kinds of ridiculous demands.

Baertschi's camp is doing what's best for Baertschi. Nothing wrong with that. Benning is doing what's best for the team. That's how these negotiations work...I know it's a tough concept for someone of your immense intelligence to understand.

Watch Baertschi sign a one year bridge deal for $850,000 to play in the NHL and $75K to play in the AHL, which is less than what he would have got if he signed his QO. Even Jordan Schroeder was smart enough to accept a one-way $600K deal after he was offered a QO for his ELC+1 contract.

• Upvote 1

tell me what the player has to do to a earn one-way contract? My question is simple how can management sit across the table and even offer him a two- way. Don't you think its disrespecting to a guy who did everything he was asked last year? He was one of the best players on Utica and played with a injury in the finals, so how does management sit across the table and say we want to give you a two-way contract?

Well he didn't score at a 2-3 ppg pace soo....
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't blame him on your points. Think more deeply, hes actually got decent stats at the NHL level with the flames. What do the Flames do? Send him down to AHL and tells him that he sucks.

One of the issues in Calgary was attitude. Not surprised to see some push from Sven B and probably a

good idea for him as it guarantees time to establish himself.

Hope he works out but I am not holding my breath. He is not a top prospect contrary to popular CDC

thought. I would have preferred the pick in the draft.

He's a pretty good prospect.... Put up better numbers in the AHL than pretty much any prospect we've had, and has 30 points in 69 NHL games while getting dicked around with the Flames.

I easily see him putting up around 40 points next season. That is if WD gets off his meds and gives him proper pp time.

If I see Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, etc get pp time over Baertschi, Horvat and the young guys, I'm going to lose it.

I dont get how people see Baertschi as a bigger risk than the 2015 2nd that we has traded for.

Things to consider

1. Rasmus Andersson is at least 3 years away from becoming an NHL defenceman

2. Baertschi is already NHL ready and the "Bust" risk for him is minimal at best

3. Baertschi upside is a top 6 forwards who can produce 40-60 points a year

4. Andersson upside is a top 4 defence man, but he will most likely never become a Solid top 4 guy

5 Baertschi is 22 years old, he fits in with the "new core" and could very well have accerlated our "transition period" by at least 1 draft

6. Andersson is a good PROSPECT, but do we really think that he's going to be a PP QB who puts up a ton of points and will light up Vancouver 6 times a year?

7. Baertschi will most likely be on the PP next year, and if we can get a big body, Like Grenier/Virtanen/Burrow in front of the net he is bound to score a couple of goals

• Upvote 1

NEWS 1130 Sports@NEWS1130Sports 13m

Agent Andre Rufener says due to cap issues, term wise, it will take a few weeks before Sven Baertschi signs with the #Canucks.

Rufener says the 2 sides are not far apart, they are on the same page re Baertschi, talking about several different scenarios. #Canucks

Baertschi rejected his qualifying offer from the #Canucks. They have talked about multiple year deals. Cap space needs to be cleared.

No surprise they're negotiating, but the note about needing to clear cap space is concerning. I hope it's just a mistake of words and they mean something else. We have just under $3M in cap space right now so that would mean they're looking for over $2M (likely then in a deal over several years as they also mentioned 'term wise') and that's a big step from what he's shown so far. Are they trying to lock him up?

Edited by elvis15

No surprise they're negotiating, but the note about needing to clear cap space is concerning. I hope it's just a mistake of words and they mean something else. We have just under $3M in cap space right now so that would mean they're looking for over $2M (likely then in a deal over several years as they also mentioned 'term wise') and that's a big step from what he's shown so far. Are they trying to lock him up?

Maybe a 3 year contract? The AAV could creep over $2m in that scenario. How many more RFA years does he have?

Edited by J.R.

Concerns me quite a bit as well.

1) if the Higgins rumours (no one has interest) Benning will have to look at pieces that make sense for this team to move like Hansen or Burrows which I hope he doesn't.

2) clearing cap space for what? How much does Sven want and if its a multi year deal with a high salary range, makes me concern that we are gambling on a guy long term that has yet to prove he is anything in the NHL. Is going to be a huge gamble if they sign him anything above 2 mil for multiple years. I know he is skilled and all but he hasn't proved anything to me to suggest he warrants that type of deal.

team has about 2.8 mil cap left...that isn't enough to sign him?

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Does the 3mill cap number you threw out include the luongo cap retention as well?

Concerns me quite a bit as well.

1) if the Higgins rumours (no one has interest) Benning will have to look at pieces that make sense for this team to move like Hansen or Burrows which I hope he doesn't.

2) clearing cap space for what? How much does Sven want and if its a multi year deal with a high salary range, makes me concern that we are gambling on a guy long term that has yet to prove he is anything in the NHL. Is going to be a huge gamble if they sign him anything above 2 mil for multiple years. I know he is skilled and all but he hasn't proved anything to me to suggest he warrants that type of deal.

team has about 2.8 mil cap left...that isn't enough to sign him?

Something like a 3 year $2.2M AAV contract wouldn't be out of line but wouldn't leave them a lot of cap wiggle room this season.

As I said earlier, how many RFA years he has left could be an issue as well. I'd imagine the team wants to leave one year left and/or buy 1-2 cheap UFA years. His agent's likely pushing for either more money for those UFA years or no RFA years left after the contract.

Maybe a 3 year contract? The AAV could creep over $2m in that scenario. How many more RFA years does he have?

Where's CapGeek when you need it! 3-4 more years might be a good guess since that'd take him to 25-26. But even then, $2M for 3 years would probably be a good bridge contract, and we'd still have $800K left in cap space.

I'm just hoping they aren't going the "5 year, $4M" route.

Does the 3mill cap number you threw out include the luongo cap retention as well?

Yes: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/vancouver-canucks