The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I wouldn't worry too much about the return of future trades being worst than the previous few. I don't even think that's possible to be honest.

Well you just jinxed it. Well done <_<

Yeah! Thanks for nothing Goose! Now we're going to trade Kassian for Prust and to make it worse, we're going to throw in a-

Wait, what do you mean it already happened? But I was just making a jo-

• Upvote 1

Cap doesn't matter until the fall, so I call bullsh*t on that. I'm not worried about it, it's just surprising to me that he will be the last guy re-signed after JB's been pumping his tires all year.

You might have just identified the reason for the delay. Maybe Benning is trying to let some air out of Baertchi's tires first.

Cap doesn't matter until the fall, so I call bullsh*t on that.

You can call it whatever you want but cap most certainly does matter.

They can only exceed the ceiling by 10% in the off season and that must include everyone on the "active roster", not just a 23 man roster.

It also vastly limits bargaining power in trades and ability to fill holes via free agency, etc, etc.

It matters.

We need both a big physical crease clearing defenseman and a fast puck moving defenseman with some offensive upside.

We just need a puck moving defenseman more so.

The holes in our defense are glaring.

Yes...yes they are. I hope Pedan pans out and that Subban can be similar to a Tyson Barrie. I don't think were far off from having a great defence core again we just need a better bottom 3/4 Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis that's good but then you have Sbisa (shutters) and Weber is a good #5 guy but not a #4. Clendening and Corrado are good but will still be rookies. Bartkowski will help out defensively as a decent #4/5 but not much for offence. We need some high end defence in the next few years and probably a high end offensive center in 2 or 3 years. The Canucks have a good prospect pool both pro and amateur but there are still soo many holes to fill (teehee). Edited by on the cycle

"Cap issues, term wise"? What does that mean exactly? Does he seriously expect to make our remaining cap this year? Because cap should be fine next off season with all our ending contracts. I think I am just too stupid to understand the agents meaning. He should just sign the 1 year 1-1.5 mil deal. Or a 5 year 2.5 mil deal :bigblush:

The only way cap space is an impediment to signing Baertschi is if he's getting serious term. 5 years at $3 million per year or something. But that's a bit nuts in itself.

JB hasn't shown himself to be a good contracts guy - either standard (Vrbata, Bartkowski, Kenins, Vey, Tanev, Weber, Clendenning, Corrado) or bad (Miller, Sbisa, Dorsett). I am worried that we are looking at a $2.5 mil deal for a guy who has like half a season under his belt. Not that I don't think Baertschi could be elite given the opportunity, but we are hemorrhaging cap space (10% of the overall cap in what I consider to be overpayment).

I too am beginning to wonder why the hell it's taking so long. Sven making things difficult? Lots of questions on my head right now.

1. How much is he reportedly asking?

2. Is he capable of playing an 82-game season? I mean I sure hope he is cause that's what's going to happen with him.

3. Injury prone?

4. Will Benning overpay for someone that hasn't proven much yet?

Many more but these are the ones that I'm truly asking. Hopefully we get him signed soon. I'm not so worried about us signing him but I hope we don't give him too much. 2 year 1.2-1.5 Mill in my eyes.

Edited by TheOddCanuckling

heres the deal...

Vancouver has roughly 2.8 million open should everyone on the projected roster including Kenins and Clendenning are on the team.

IF Virtanen makes the team, which by every indication managment has given, he'll get at least his 9 games. His cap hit is 1.75.

SO... now we have roughly 1M open.... and that would be with Linden Vey as our 4th line center... which I cant see as an ideal game plan...

We also have other young players looking for spots... cap hit roll out:

McCann - 1.107

Shinkaruk - 1.076

Gaunce - 1.026

Cassels - 0.905

Jensen - 0.863

Grenier - 0.585

Friesen - 0.575

Baertschi - .850-1.2 ?? (just a guess but thats what Im thinking)

As you can see... its pretty dicey, and you always want to have a little space to play with.

My assumption is that there are still some moves to be made, and thats whatll take at least a few weeks to figure out.

"Cap issues, term wise"? What does that mean exactly? Does he seriously expect to make our remaining cap this year? Because cap should be fine next off season with all our ending contracts. I think I am just too stupid to understand the agents meaning. He should just sign the 1 year 1-1.5 mil deal. Or a 5 year 2.5 mil deal :bigblush:

There's no reason his agent talks about cap space unless this was the excuse given to him by the Canucks for the delay. I read it like it's the Canucks that are asking the Baertschi side to be patient and not freak out. He did say that they are on the same page so there's no real urgency to get this done until the Canucks have figured out their roster (trade or free agent signing maybe?) and cap space.

heres the deal...

Vancouver has roughly 2.8 million open should everyone on the projected roster including Kenins and Clendenning are on the team.

IF Virtanen makes the team, which by every indication managment has given, he'll get at least his 9 games. His cap hit is 1.75.

SO... now we have roughly 1M open.... and that would be with Linden Vey as our 4th line center... which I cant see as an ideal game plan...

We also have other young players looking for spots... cap hit roll out:

McCann - 1.107

Shinkaruk - 1.076

Gaunce - 1.026

Cassels - 0.905

Jensen - 0.863

Grenier - 0.585

Friesen - 0.575

Baertschi - .850-1.2 ?? (just a guess but thats what Im thinking)

As you can see... its pretty dicey, and you always want to have a little space to play with.

My assumption is that there are still some moves to be made, and thats whatll take at least a few weeks to figure out.

No it's not. If the Canucks have Virtanen in the lineup, that means someone is dropped from the roster opening up cap space. Furthermore, Virtanen's AAV that counts against the cap is $894K. The rest is performance bonus and he earns that only if he hits every one of them and the bonus part of his cap hit counts against 2016-2017.

The Canucks have the full $2.81M to play with in getting Baertschi signed. Baertschi deserves a one year, one way deal at $750K. I'll be surprised if Benning signs Baertschi for anything more than $900K AAV.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Upvote 1

This process, as much as it has been advertised as normal, is not normal.

I guess the question is how was NYR able to sign Etem to a 1yr $850k deal when he's more established than Bärtschi? Same with Beau Bennett.

All three 1st rounders are in a similar position where they have to prove themselves as 23yr olds, but for some reason Bärtschi gets term? How's that?

What should have been a simple signing has turned into a long drawn out process. imho Because he's a flight risk. Calgary's GM admitted this months ago. He threatened to go to europe if he wasn't traded and now he's using european league leverage to get more security. It's a good thing that he went to the Canucks as opposed to another team then, because we're willing to work with that in our current position. I've always said this was a good trade... For Bärtschi.

This process, as much as it has been advertised as normal, is not normal.

I guess the question is how was NYR able to sign Etem to a 1yr $850k deal when he's more established than Bärtschi? Same with Beau Bennett.

All three 1st rounders are in a similar position where they have to prove themselves as 23yr olds, but for some reason Bärtschi gets term? How's that?

What should have been a simple signing has turned into a long drawn out process. imho Because he's a flight risk. Calgary's GM admitted this months ago. He threatened to go to europe if he wasn't traded and now he's using european league leverage to get more security. It's a good thing that he went to the Canucks as opposed to another team then, because we're willing to work with that in our current position. I've always said this was a good trade... For Bärtschi.

He never threatened to go to Europe. All he said is that he wasn't going to sign with them. Nothing different than what happened with Max Reinhart who also asked for a trade (but the Flames didn't drag it out like they did with Sven - his agent has been asking for a trade since several months before it finally happened).

He moved out of Switzerland without knowing a word of English to come and play in the WHL because his dream is to play in the NHL and nowhere else. He isn't going to throw that away.

For info he also trains in North America in the off-season and not in Switzerland. Last year he spent all summer recovering (broken ribs at the Worlds) and training in Calgary and it seems like he is training in Vancouver this off-season.

Read again the tweets - it sure looks that the delay is on the Canucks side because for whatever reason they want cap flexibility for now (I expect a trade or free agent signing). There is really no urgency to sign him for now - both parties know it will get done and they are according to his agent on the same page.

Edited by mll

No it's not. If the Canucks have Virtanen in the lineup, that means someone is dropped from the roster opening up cap space. Furthermore, Virtanen's AAV that counts against the cap is $894K. The rest is performance bonus and he earns that only if he hits every one of them and the bonus part of his cap hit counts against 2016-2017.

The Canucks have the full $2.81M to play with in getting Baertschi signed. Baertschi deserves a one year, one way deal at $750K. I'll be surprised if Benning signs Baertschi for anything more than $900K AAV.

Actually no, the bonus is held against the cap until it is no longer attainable, and it can be deferred to the following season but doesn't have to be.

And again, $750K (even $900K) would be less than the qualifying offer so I don't think those numbers are going to be where they end up.

Edited by elvis15