The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Isn't it obvious what's happening. Jim Benning can't negotiate contracts, he doesn't know how to get the right bargain. Benning might be good at the draft but signing players is not his cup of tea. Just look at Sbisa and Dorsett's contract

You are reaching.

Canucks have limited cap space. They need to fit Sven under and still remain flexible. On top of that, if they want to give a young player a taste for 9 games or whatever, his salary counts too.

Either Sven signs for cheap, the Canucks move some salary out to give him a better deal or they trade him. There really aren't too many other directions this can go.

You are reaching.

Canucks have limited cap space. They need to fit Sven under and still remain flexible. On top of that, if they want to give a young player a taste for 9 games or whatever, his salary counts too.

Either Sven signs for cheap, the Canucks move some salary out to give him a better deal or they trade him. There really aren't too many other directions this can go.

Yea trade a guy who paid his dues. Yaaaaaaaaay lets keep Higgins and Hansen because they are so good and trade away a young guy who has skill.

Btw Brandon freaking Prust is worth 2 million, great management Mr Benning. Oh they really had to sign Weber before Sven because you know he might of been picked up by many other teams who are desperate for a guy who is -5 in a 6 games series.

Bottom line Sven Baertschi should of been first priority.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

This process, as much as it has been advertised as normal, is not normal.

I guess the question is how was NYR able to sign Etem to a 1yr $850k deal when he's more established than Bärtschi? Same with Beau Bennett.

All three 1st rounders are in a similar position where they have to prove themselves as 23yr olds, but for some reason Bärtschi gets term? How's that?

What should have been a simple signing has turned into a long drawn out process. imho Because he's a flight risk. Calgary's GM admitted this months ago. He threatened to go to europe if he wasn't traded and now he's using european league leverage to get more security. It's a good thing that he went to the Canucks as opposed to another team then, because we're willing to work with that in our current position. I've always said this was a good trade... For Bärtschi.

so in hindsight we should have kept our 2nd for this past year ,

drafted Rasmus Andersson !!!!!! then traded Bieksa for Etem ?

Nahh Rasmus Andersson ain't all that great. Bieksa wouldn't have fetched Etem unless you think Carl Hagelin is worth Bieksa or next year's second round pick.

Yea trade a guy who paid his dues. Yaaaaaaaaay lets keep Higgins and Hansen because they are so good and trade away a young guy who has skill.

Btw Brandon freaking Prust is worth 2 million, great management Mr Benning. Oh they really had to sign Weber before Sven because you know he might of been picked up by many other teams who are desperate for a guy who is -5 in a 6 games series.

should have*
  • Upvote 1

Your priorities are not the Canucks' priorities.

• Upvote 2

No I think the plan involves Bärtschi. But seeing him get term while other similar RFA's aren't is interesting. At the end of the day it hopefully won't matter.

I highly doubt the Canucks would have selected Rasmus Andersson anyway. And Etem for Bieksa is a pipedream.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

No I think the plan involves Bärtschi. But seeing him get term while other similar RFA's aren't is interesting. At the end of the day it hopefully won't matter.

I highly doubt the Canucks would have selected Rasmus Andersson anyway. And Etem for Bieksa is a pipedream.

sorry , my post was supposed to be sarcastic .

as he said that Etem was more proven & cost less .

Like others have said, if you can transition the puck out of the zone quickly there is little need for big, bad bruisers on the back end.

The way the game seems to be trending there is going to be a lot more of the "undersize" guy who can transition the puck quickly out of the zone and a lot less of the 6'5 230 DD whos main job is to throw his body around and "clear the crease"

Just some teams who have defenceman who make quick transitions out of the zone

Ana

Chicago

Dallas

Calgary

Montreal

Mainly big body stay at home guys

Tampa

Oilers (yes their d core sucks but thats what it built around last season

Islanders

Florida?

San Jose

LA

The "new era" can also be called PMD defenceman

Gotta love those good puck moving defensemen defensemen

Wow im actually really excited for the future

Baertschi-Mccann-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Boeser

Gaunce-Cassels-Jensen

What a group of young forwards.Its arguable that all of them have top-6 potential.

Defence is another story sadly...

Hutton-Corrado

Tyamkin-Subban

Pedan-Cederholm

I think people make too big a deal about the D. Yes we need that elite puck mover, but overall the depth is pretty good.

In reality most D cores are signed through free agency or built through trades, unless you're Nashville who draft heavily on D.

Add one elite guy like Chychrun and I'd say we're pretty good. We have the solid bottom pairing projected guys, and I'd say at least a few potential top 4 in Hutton, Corrado, Brisebois, and Subban. The rest can be filled through free agency.

Just need one good draft to address that area.

• Upvote 1

I think people make too big a deal about the D. Yes we need that elite puck mover, but overall the depth is pretty good.

In reality most D cores are signed through free agency or built through trades, unless you're Nashville who draft heavily on D.

Add one elite guy like Chychrun and I'd say we're pretty good. We have the solid bottom pairing projected guys, and I'd say at least a few potential top 4 in Hutton, Corrado, Brisebois, and Subban. The rest can be filled through free agency.

Just need one good draft to address that area.

Oh i forgot Brisebois lol. But ya we have good depth and a few top-4's in the pool while Tanev and Edler are still farely young. I just hope we can draft a d-man in the 1st round even if its juat gonna be a #3 it would vastly improve our defensive prospect pool