The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I have a feeling Baer will be linemates with Virtanen at some point this year or in their future. He's the closest we have to a Branden Point or Mitch Marner type of prospect. Shinky maybe could get there one day, but he's had to adjust to the more physical game.

I have a feeling Baer will be linemates with Virtanen at some point this year or in their future. He's the closest we have to a Branden Point or Mitch Marner type of prospect. Shinky maybe could get there one day, but he's had to adjust to the more physical game.

I agree that Baertschi and Virtanen look like good potential linemates at LW and RW on a first or second line, assuming they can both make the transition to the NHL.

1. They are both very fast skaters. The Canucks do not have a really fast center in the system, though. But based on his improvement last year, Horvat has at least decent speed. Sutter also has decent speed. Vey was supposed to be fast but proved to have no more than average speed. Not sure where McCann will stack up on speed, but he is a good skater. But put Baertschi and Virtanen with any of those guys and that will still be the fastest line the Canucks have had in years.

2. Baertschi is a good passer and playmaker and Virtanen has a great shot. But Baertschi can shoot and Virtanen has shown improved ability to make plays. Nice combo there.

3. Baertschi is skilled but soft. Jake is the opposite of soft. That balances things out.

4. Neither player is noted for defence but both have improved and are playing decent defence. With a center who is solid defensively (Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Cassels) that would be a good two-way line.

So I like Baertschi and Virtanen with Horvat or Sutter as a second line as early as next year (after trading Vrby for a first round pick at the deadline this year).

Edited by JamesB

I agree that Baertschi and Virtanen look like good potential linemates at LW and RW on a first or second line, assuming they can both make the transition to the NHL.

1. They are both very fast skaters. The Canucks do not have a really fast center in the system, though. But based on his improvement last year, Horvat has at least decent speed. Sutter also has decent speed. Vey was supposed to be fast but proved to have no more than average speed. Not sure where McCann will stack up on speed, but he is a good skater. But put Baertschi and Virtanen with any of those guys and that will still be the fastest line the Canucks have had in years.

2. Baertschi is a good passer and playmaker and Virtanen has a great shot. But Baertschi can shoot and Virtanen has shown improved ability to make plays. Nice combo there.

3. Baertschi is skilled but soft. Jake is the opposite of soft. That balances things out.

4. Neither player is noted for defence but both have improved and are playing decent defence. With a center who is solid defensively (Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Cassels) that would be a good two-way line.

So I like Baertschi and Virtanen with Horvat or Sutter as a second line as early as next year (after trading Vrby for a first round pick at the deadline this year).

Don't speak to soon...the way Horvat's speed improved last year, from people complaining about to people realizing he was now fast. By the end of the year he was beating mobile D. men to the outside and getting to the net.

Baer and Virtanen may not even need a center as fast as Horvat was at the end of last season...my guess now is that Baer may have trouble keeping up with Bo by the end of this year.

A small improvement in Bo's speed from the end of last year would be enough to put him in close with our fastest players...except Virtanen who has that extra glide speed in OD.

Virtanen is faster. Baertschi, I wonder...

I would be very surprised to see Sven B or Virtanen, faster than Hanson. Of the 3, I see Virtanen with a higher upside. Sven B has

the biggest hill to climb IMHO. I actually think that Vey could be better. Vey can handle the puck in a crowd better than Sven B. Both can be knocked off the puck. The fall camp should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

Benning needed to do whatever was necessary to have sven come to camp on a PTO and REALLY earn his spot.

That'll make him happy. We should treat him like shxt. Be like, "put up or shut up chocolate boy". We want him to hate our organization. Benning mentioned handling him very carefully, but eff that. We should make sure there are 60 articles shredding him every week....oh wait, that's actually the only thing that's guaranteed.

No, he wasn't. I'm not sure where you got that from.

No, he wasn't. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Was wondering the same. Possibly from some of the annual prospects reports when he was in the Kings' system?

When you read some of the old reports from Manchester, you'll occasionally come across some very positive statements regarding Vey's (improved) skating. That's not to say he was ever considered anywhere close to "fast" but rather that he's shown decent improvement over the years.

Vey's junior/draft scouting reports suggest he was considered a "good skater" for that level (which isn't really saying much) but one who also clearly "lack[ed] elite speed" and compensated for his skating deficiencies with "high level vision" and "slick puck skills."

As he transitioned to the pros, the focus was always on improving his skating and strength.

When he joined the Canucks, his skating was probably considered about average by NHL standards (which is actually a fair deal better than it used to be).

But it's going to be very interesting to see if (and by how much) he's better this coming season, especially based on this recent quote from Benning:

“I know (Vey) is working real hard this summer to improve his skating, his first step, his strength, so he’s strong in the battles. He wants to come back and have a year that he’s going to be proud of, and will help us win.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Jamieson+back+middle+again/11186968/story.html

A faster Linden Vey would certainly be helpful. But a stronger Linden Vey would probably be even more helpful. Hopefully his offseason training brings some noticeable results in both of these areas.

That'll make him happy. We should treat him like shxt. Be like, "put up or shut up chocolate boy". We want him to hate our organization. Benning mentioned handling him very carefully, but eff that. We should make sure there are 60 articles shredding him every week....oh wait, that's actually the only thing that's guaranteed.

I was being facetious :frantic:

Virtanen is fast, but is by no means quick. Kid needs a runway before he can take off. Id like to see far more hustle in his game, an area that Hansen, Higgins, and Horvat excel.

It just looks like he needs a runway because his stride is effortless...by the time you realize he is going any faster Jake is 2 strides by you.

Jake is faster than Hansen given the usual race around the ice, that is my humble opinion.

Virtanen could use quicker decision making on D., that would enable him to add hustle to his game...on D. he looks like he just use's positioning maybe because of being unsure of when to check hard or when to hit, etc.

• Upvote 1

It just looks like he needs a runway because his stride is effortless...by the time you realize he is going any faster Jake is 2 strides by you.

That's why his speed is deceptive. You think he's at top speed and then he hits that extra gear to blow by defenders.

That's the best kind of speed to have. Grabner and Raymond both had it.

• Upvote 1

That's why his speed is deceptive. You think he's at top speed and then he hits that extra gear to blow by defenders.

That's the best kind of speed to have. Grabner and Raymond both had it.

Agree...but nobody got bounced by those 2 flyers...to be able to fly and bounce guys around as well...now we have something.

Yes, Jake's elite speed and physical edge is a great skill set, if he can just dial up the intensity a notch he could be special.

Guys like Dorsett and Prust lack high end skill but have that dog with a bone elite level of compete intensity, Gaunce could learn some intensity playing between those two as a 4th line center, someday.

Wow im actually really excited for the future

Baertschi-Mccann-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Boeser

Gaunce-Cassels-Jensen

What a group of young forwards.Its arguable that all of them have top-6 potential.

Defence is another story sadly...

Hutton-Corrado

Tyamkin-Subban

Pedan-Cederholm

If in a perfect world all our prospects were in the lineup together and played to their potential.

I'd like this top 9:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Kenins

• Huggy Bear 1

If in a perfect world all our prospects were in the lineup together and played to their potential.

I'd like this top 9:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Kenins

That's looking pretty good for a few years down the road. Considering WD's 1234 approach to line changes, I'm glad those three centres are all respected for their complete game.

• Huggy Bear 1

• 2 months later...

That's looking pretty good for a few years down the road. Considering WD's 1234 approach to line changes, I'm glad those three centres are all respected for their complete game.

plus, we could get some really high picks to compliment these guys, especially on the rear guard.  Seeing our young guys go out there and compete, would be better than watching these old guys skate around and collect their bloated salaries.