The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Based on what I've seen so far, Sven hasn't made any significant mistakes that he couldn't recover from. He is super fast so it's easier for him to get back if there's a turnover and be the first forward back. He really just needs to get on a roll and all will follow. Whenever Baertschi combines his skill and speed, he is effective.

2nd Line Power-Play  

Baertschi-McCann-Virtanen
Hutton-Hamhuis

Baertschi- Playmaker along the boards
McCann- Sniper in the slot
Virtanen- Screen in front of the net

I'm surprised Willie hasn't considered putting McCann with Baertschi.
Edited by Green Goblin
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what I've seen so far, Sven hasn't made any significant mistakes that he couldn't recover from. He is super fast so it's easier for him to get back if there's a turnover and be the first forward back. He really just needs to get on a roll and all will follow. Whenever Baertschi combines his skill and speed, he is effective.

2nd Line Power-Play  

Baertschi-McCann-Virtanen
Hutton-Hamhuis

Baertschi- Playmaker along the boards
McCann- Sniper in the slot
Virtanen- Screen in front of the net

I'm surprised Willie hasn't considered putting McCann with Baertschi.

Highly doubt a 2nd PP of rookies. Experiment on a shift or two.

IMHO Baer will get a look for at least 40 games or should. Shink and Gaunce can play in Utica unless the wheels fall off in Van and Benning can decide to accelerate the rebuild be dealing some vets and bringing the rookies up.

This season is all about bringing the young guys forward, deciding what vets to keep/deal and repeating this process in Utica. Doing this in a winning environment is a bonus for fans but not necessarily a long term win for the Canucks. Utica is a bit different. Benning has to move some vets and gather draft picks for 2016 & 2017. He has some solid forward prospects but the d-side prospects are not strong. Goaltending looks solid as well.

Baerstchi is one of those players that frustrates a lot of people. 

You look at him play from a fan's perspective and you see "something" there but it isn't quite clicking. But then you look at his stats and you're like, did he really have an impact even though he's getting points?

Coaches hate that kind of stuff. If you're a coach, it drives you crazy because you can't ignore his production, but you look at his body of play as a whole and you don't know what you're going to get shift in shift out.

You look at him play from a fan's perspective and you see "something" there but it isn't quite clicking. But then you look at his stats and you're like, did he really have an impact even though he's getting points?

Coaches hate that kind of stuff. If you're a coach, it drives you crazy because you can't ignore his production, but you look at his body of play as a whole and you don't know what you're going to get shift in shift out.

hes not a rookie but he's definitely nowhere close to being a vet. He almost seems intimidated at times, he would fair well with a player on his line who was clearing space. A 3rd line of Baerstchi Sutter Dorsett I think would be worth a shot. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Horvat Vrbata

Baertschi Sutter Dorsett

Higgins McCann Virtanen

pretty spread out across all 4 lines too.

hes not a rookie but he's definitely nowhere close to being a vet. He almost seems intimidated at times, he would fair well with a player on his line who was clearing space. A 3rd line of Baerstchi Sutter Dorsett I think would be worth a shot. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Horvat Vrbata

Baertschi Sutter Dorsett

Higgins McCann Virtanen

pretty spread out across all 4 lines too.

i would like to see horvat and baer get another shot together, there chemistry in the pre season looked very promising and if they can figure things out there both solid candidates to become a solid future 2nd line. maybe swap baer and burrows places there and then u got sutter and burrows on the ice against top lines that's a comforting thought as well. and he just played his 82 nhl game its pretty safe to say he may not be a rookie on paper but hes a rookie in the room and the ice. still high hopes to see the kid break out! 

Where Baertschi is lacking is in his ability to slow the game down. He's very quick to give up the puck and tries to make the quick play, but sometimes he has a lot more time than he realizes and needs to do a bit more stickhandling instead of sending high risk passes. It's a fine line between giving the puck away and making a nice pass and I think that he's becoming a better player in the NHL. Gaudreau is really his closest comparison and it's no wonder that Calgary didn't want both of them on their team, but it's our good fortune if Sven is able to become the same kind of elusive possession player. Also he needs to shoot more , because he is deadly accurate, whether it's a pass or a shot.                                                          

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 1

I think people are being a bit impatient with Baertschi. It's important to remember that it's only 16 games in, and imo, baertschi has made great progress since the start of the season. He clearly has the skillset to be a great player, he just needs some time to work on his overall game. We tend to forget that NHL players are human and how important the psyche is to their game. Sven was terribly handled in Calgary and that lead to most of the city giving up on him. That probably had a big impact on his confidence. I think he needs time and support to feel like he belongs in the NHL, and that support starts with the fans. We as fans have a huge influence on players' production. They know how we feel about them, especially now with social media. When the city was behind Luongo, he was the best goalie in the league, and when we turned our backs and blamed him he had terrible games. I think we gotta start supporting our players more, especially the youngins and players who've had it rough already like Baertschi. Give him some time, i'm sure it will come!

• Upvote 4

I think people are being a bit impatient with Baertschi. It's important to remember that it's only 16 games in, and imo, baertschi has made great progress since the start of the season. He clearly has the skillset to be a great player, he just needs some time to work on his overall game. We tend to forget that NHL players are human and how important the psyche is to their game. Sven was terribly handled in Calgary and that lead to most of the city giving up on him. That probably had a big impact on his confidence. I think he needs time and support to feel like he belongs in the NHL, and that support starts with the fans. We as fans have a huge influence on players' production. They know how we feel about them, especially now with social media. When the city was behind Luongo, he was the best goalie in the league, and when we turned our backs and blamed him he had terrible games. I think we gotta start supporting our players more, especially the youngins and players who've had it rough already like Baertschi. Give him some time, i'm sure it will come!

Good first post, keep them coming. ::D

I dont know where the baer despair is coming from CDC I think he is playing well.. Willie has also positively singled out Baer in post game interviews and said he had a strong game multiple times.

TBH I like what I have seen from him so far and think he is going to continue to improve and the season is still young.

• Upvote 2

a non-elite team and Baerstchi is doing better, this could be the game to see him break out since Ottawa doesn't have that good of a team. 

also, his explosiveness speed is starting to show a bit more, be patient with Baerstchi to the guys who want him gone,

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 1

Not the case.  Vey cleared once, so the Canucks can have him up for up to 30 days or 10 games before he is subject to waivers again.  If he's brought up and sent back down in 5 days, he doesn't have to go back on waivers.

Correct, and it's important to point out that's cumulative rather than being able to call up him for 29 days and 9 games at a time and keep cycling him back and forth to avoid the threshold.