ALEXANDRE BURROWS
RIGHT WING  - VAN

NUMBER: 14
HEIGHT: 6' 1"
WEIGHT: 188
SHOOTS: LEFT
BORN: 11 APR 1981  (AGE 35)
BIRTHPLACE: PINCOURT, QC, CANADA

ACQUIRED: SIGNED AS A FREE AGENT BY VANCOUVER ON NOVEMBER 8, 2005.
  • Upvote 2

• -SN- changed the title to Alexandre Burrows | #14 | Right Wing

I'm going out on a limb and calling a huge bounce back year for Burr. He will start on the 4th line, but move up to the 3rd playing with Horvat and possibly either Etem/Rodin or maybe even Vey. The guy is to driven and competitive to let his career fissile out the way it's currently projecting. Even if he can't recover that scoring touch, he's worth more on the 4th line as a mentor and leader then a chunk of cap counting against us in a buy out. 

• Upvote 1

I'm very interested to see what happens after the big deal the media made about his 'last game as a Canuck.' A buy out will free up $1.5M, which could mean the difference on winning a top UFA or not. A trade with max salrary retention (50% I believe) would save us $2.25M and provide an asset. He will always be a favourite and a Canuck, but it's time for him to make way for the future.

• Upvote 1

No point buying him out, it's best to get rid of the cap hit after this year and sign him on a 1 year 1 million for the following year. No one exemplifies leadership like burrows. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

No point buying him out, it's best to get rid of the cap hit after this year and sign him on a 1 year 1 million for the following year. No one exemplifies leadership like burrows. 

Jonathan Toews maybe?

51 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

Jonathan Toews maybe?

Yea I remember his tears when burrows crushed them even with all odds against us and them cheating and having refs pulling strings all series. 

• Upvote 1

I think we owe it to Burr to let him play out his contract. He became an fan favourite, starred with the Sedins, and slayed the dragon. 

Keeping him would allow us to have Virtanen and Gaunce in Utica, where they could develop chemistry for the future. And, we could retain him at a cheaper price, for his leadership; if he doesn't retire. I wouldn't be surprised if he went out on a high note in Vancouver.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Lucic Sutter Brouwer

Baertschi Horvat Rodin

Etem Granlund Burrows

Gaunce and Virtanen in Utica

Problem is, we might not have enough cap for both Brouwer and Burrows. That line up looks beautiful, but necessitates trading Dorsett. Maybe just getting Eriksson would be the way to go. 

Edited by NaveJoseph

On 5/31/2016 at 0:49 PM, apollo said:

That might work out well, especially if there is an expansion draft next year.  Keep that capspace powder dry and sign a UFA that we'd otherwise have to protect.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Kenny Powers said:

I'm very interested to see what happens after the big deal the media made about his 'last game as a Canuck.' A buy out will free up $1.5M, which could mean the difference on winning a top UFA or not. A trade with max salrary retention (50% I believe) would save us $2.25M and provide an asset. He will always be a favourite and a Canuck, but it's time for him to make way for the future.

Burrows salary next season is 3 million but his cap hit is still 4.5. So in a buyout Burrows would cost 2 million this coming season and 1 million the season after.

So from a dollars sense, buying out Burrows costs almost the same as just letting him play but from a salary cap standpoint, it's about 1.5 million cheaper in the end.

Backdiving contracts are mind boggling in a salary cap world.

Canucks really need his roster spot, only reason I see him getting bought out. If Burrows stays, there's probably not enough cap or roster spots available for a free agent cuz Baertschi, Etem, Pedan, and Larsen still need deals and all would be waiver eligible. And Canucks only have 9 million of cap with Burrows/Higgins on the team. Those 4 probably eat up about 6 of it.

Fan favourite. I still can't believe he scored 35 goals one season... never thought he would be more than a 3rd line winger. Proved me wrong.

My heart wants him to stay. But it seems that his physical abilities have dropped by  a lot and seems like he is unable to keep up with the pace of the game anymore. I've noticed so many occasions last season where he showed hat he still can read the game and knew exactly what play needed to be made, but was unable to do it quick enough like he used to.

I think it's time to move on. I don't know what is the deadline for the buyout but if it is before July 1st, then I think we will have to buy him out. The best route would be to find a trade partner. We should eat up some of his cap if it means he can extend his NHL career. It would have been great to have him retire as a Vancouver Canuck though.

• Upvote 1

Hate to say it, but in this business a player like Burrows and his price tag has to go. 

However, JB has stated multiple times about how great of a leader Burrows is and how he's an exemplary Canuck. If management wants Burrows to be an example to the youngsters, they can't buy him out otherwise it'd send the wrong message. 

14 hours ago, suitup said:

multiple times about how great of a leader Burrows is and how he's an exemplary Canuck. If management wants Burrows to be an example to the youngsters, they can't buy him out otherwise it'd send the wrong message. 

The "classy" move is to keep Burrows, and hope he can regain a bit of his original form.

The "business" move is to buy him out. 

I think at the end of the day, the reason Benning hasn't indicated anything either way is because he wants to see what kind of splash he can make in the UFA market.  Assuming we get nowhere near the cap for this coming season, I see no reason to buy him out.  As mentioned, he's a great example and mentor to the young pups on the team.