The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Burrows | #14 | RW

-SN-

On May 31, 2016 at 0:49 PM, apollo said:

No point buying him out, it's best to get rid of the cap hit after this year and sign him on a 1 year 1 million for the following year. No one exemplifies leadership like burrows. 

Not once have I ever looked at Burrows and thought "leadership". "Hard-working", sure. But, leadership? Really? Personally, I don't think there's been much of that here since Linden was active. I'm serious. But, I guess it all depends on one's personal definition of the word. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Not once have I ever looked at Burrows and thought "leadership". "Hard-working", sure. But, leadership? Really? Personally, I don't think there's been much of that here since Linden was active. I'm serious. But, I guess it all depends on one's personal definition of the word. 

Bye Bye Burr.  It's been nice having you on our team.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree. If he's not good enough to play in the top-6 anymore --- the Sedin line, specifically --- there doesn't seem to be a shortage of pups who can duplicate his current level of production in the bottom-6 for far less money than what he's owed. As far as trades --- not that I believe any GM would actually acquire him through one --- maybe AV'd take him in New York. I bet he'd end up there after a buyout, for sure, though.

• Upvote 2

A buyout isn't really worth it when you consider the fact that one more year of rebuilding and the Burrows contract saves them 1.5 million dollars in actual expendetures. A 3 million actual dollar third line winger is still a bargan in today's NHL. Where else can one find a better deal? A mentor in Canuck culture. plus a trade chip during the trade deadline. Why buyout an asset?

Burrows needs to stay and play with Sutter and be shift disturbers. Get back to what got him to the dance in the first place.

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen/Dorsett

Edited by smokes

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn't Burrows be worth more as a trade chip at the trade deadline than bought out and carrying dead cap space?

57 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

It's not cap space that's the problem, it's the fact he's taking up a valuable roster spot 

Valuable roster spots? So drop Burrows so the Canucks can rush another rookie and screw up their development?

58 minutes ago, smokes said:

absolutely

Considering it is Burr's final year, then why not trade Hansen (collecting assets) and let Burr play out the string?  Heck, if he plays well enough, we might be able to move him at the TDL?  

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Rushing the rookies when they are not ready is my problem

But, realistically, if we're talking about the bottom-6 --- and, let's say for argument's sake Benning magically adds much-needed veteran depth to the top-6 --- the only rookie forward in danger of being rushed next season would be Gaunce, assuming he makes the club in training camp. Personally, I'm hoping he beats out Archibald and Kenins and holds down that LW spot on the 4th line. I think that's more of a safe bet and a more practical use of young talent than plugging/rushing Horvat and Baertschi onto the 2nd line, where the drop-off to the remaining 2 lines would be more of a question mark. It won't kill Gaunce or the team if all 3 of the aforementioned develop and provide youth and depth in the bottom-6 next season. Again, assuming Benning adds veterans to the top-2 lines. 

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering it is Burr's final year, then why not trade Hansen (collecting assets) and let Burr play out the string?  Heck, if he plays well enough, we might be able to move him at the TDL?  

You forgot to list even 1 reason why Hansen would waive his NTC. You also neglected to list GM's you believe would trade for Alex Burrows rather than wait for him to be bought out if they want him so bad. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, smokes said:

A buyout isn't really worth it when you consider the fact that one more year of rebuilding and the Burrows contract saves them 1.5 million dollars in actual expendetures. A 3 million actual dollar third line winger is still a bargan in today's NHL. Where else can one find a better deal? A mentor in Canuck culture. plus a trade chip during the trade deadline. Why buyout an asset?

Burrows needs to stay and play with Sutter and be shift disturbers. Get back to what got him to the dance in the first place.

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen/Dorsett

But, at this stage of his career, has he been as productive --- even over the last 3 years --- as, say, Scott Hartnell? For whatever reason, Hartnell found himself in Tort's doghouse this season, but, the guy is still solid for 50 points. Can the same be said of Burrows? There's enough young talent among the forwards to make it interesting enough for Columbus to listen to an offer, assuming Hartnell would waive his NTC. If so, would you still REALLY want Burrows taking up space in the top-6 if Scott Hartnell were on offer? Surely, you don't mean to imply Burrows deserves another shot with the twins, do you? And, do you really want a player with a $4.5M cap hit on the 4th line?

He has to be bought out. Sorry. Don't feel too bad for him, he'll catch on with the playoff team of his choice. But, I just can't see a GM actually giving up anything to get him via trade. Just like Higgins. 

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

You forgot to list even 1 reason why Hansen would waive his NTC. You also neglected to list GM's you believe would trade for Alex Burrows rather than wait for him to be bought out if they want him so bad. 

Who knows what's in the minds of GMs, or Hansen?  We can generate lists, but do they really mean anything?

It's not really worth buying him out other than he frees a roster spot.  If they bring in an ELC to replace him, with his buyout cap hit it's 3.4M vs 4.5M and there's still 1M left the season after.  

If they indeed use the 4th line to develop top-9 players - it could be a spot for him.  I feel there's value to have someone on the ice that can mentor a player like Granlund or Virtanen - guide them until they gain more experience. 

Also these young players are going to lack consistency - at least Burrows is a safety net and he doesn't necessarily expect to be in the lineup every night.  He again talked about it earlier this week on RDS saying that he just wants to help with the transition. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't think Hansen would get the proper return that his play actually dictates. If the right deal came along then yeah but I wouldn't trade Hansen for less than a late first rounder. If the Canucks were gunning for a playoff spot though, Hansen would be more valuable down the stretch than Burrows would be.  

• Upvote 2

It's Year 2 of transition -- no harm in having him finish his contract, along with Dorsett, Hansen, and the twins to set the example of what it takes to play in the NHL while the yutes establish themselves.  Perhaps move him at the TDL to a contender if he wants.  Zero need for Higgy in that case, though.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's Year 2 of transition -- no harm in having him finish his contract, along with Dorsett, Hansen, and the twins to set the example of what it takes to play in the NHL while the yutes establish themselves.  Perhaps move him at the TDL to a contender if he wants.  Zero need for Higgy in that case, though.

Love that move!  "The two yutes."  Joe Pecci is too funny in that one.