The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Not worried about Gaunce's scoring production at all. As long as he keeps developing as a defensive forward he'll make the NHL.

He'll establish himself on the 4th line and move up slowly through the years.

Hey, that's the way Ryan Getzlaf established himself in the NHL. I'm not trying to say we have another Ryan Getzlaf in Gaunce but some top 6 offensive players are able to make their way into top 6 roles right from the bottom.

Certainly no point in showing a Bulls game until the WJs are over, and they have Subban back in net. But, was good to have the Kitchener game on a while back to see McEneny, now just hoping for Sudbury or Belleville (or any combination of the three) while we're missing NHL hockey.

Certainly no point in showing a Bulls game until the WJs are over, and they have Subban back in net. But, was good to have the Kitchener game on a while back to see McEneny, now just hoping for Sudbury or Belleville (or any combination of the three) while we're missing NHL hockey.

That's what I ment, we have a hockey fix at the moment.

And it was nice to see McEneny and I thought he played well quite.

That's what I ment, we have a hockey fix at the moment.

And it was nice to see McEneny and I thought he played well quite.

He was good that game, although I found him noticeably coasting a few times. Does tend to get in the right areas though and does well at both ends. That's the kind of detail it's hard to gauge without watching players, and it would be nice to see a few games of Gaunce this year. Corrado we saw in the selection camp and the Subway Series, but Gaunce missed out on that with his shoulder injury.

He was good that game, although I found him noticeably coasting a few times. Does tend to get in the right areas though and does well at both ends. That's the kind of detail it's hard to gauge without watching players, and it would be nice to see a few games of Gaunce this year. Corrado we saw in the selection camp and the Subway Series, but Gaunce missed out on that with his shoulder injury.

Yeah I agree, he has to work on his acceleration I found he would coast then get beat wide, he does use his size nicely down low though which is a positive.

The Bulls are not a bad team. They are 2nd in their conference. What they are is a defensive focused team, that plays very structured hockey, excels on the PK and is leading the league in PK%. They are a low scoring team because of that. There is an ongoing joke that the coach likes to stifle offensive creativity and playing at a high-tempo.

I watched both of Gaunce's games this weekend. Probably the best i've seen Gaunce play. He was a force at both ends of the ice. Dominant on the faceoff dot and excellent on the PK. He was active with his stick and blocking passing lanes on the PK, but perhaps the best part of his PK is winning that first draw to clear the puck and waste time. Only when he was off the PK, did the other team score or get prime scoring chances. Also, there was an article about the Bulls PK and how everyone buys into the system and their shot blocking mentality. Gaunce was very willing to get in front of the shots. His defensive positioning is very mature.

Offensively, he was creating scoring chances with his good vision, made some nice passing plays that his linemates could not handle. Scored yesterday in front of the net on the PP, he pushed off the defender, received a pass and dangled forehand backhand. Tonight he scored by finding open space next to the net to deflect a point shot into the net. He made two memorable hits this weekend. One was when an opponent was jamming away at his goaltender after the whistle, pushed him over behind the net and kept pushing him down until the ref came over. Tonight he was forechecking and ran over a defender, knocking him on his back. Another time, Gaunce had the puck going up ice, had a opponent draped over him and just shrugged him off and continued along his way.

If this is how he plays on a regular basis, there's reason to be happy. Was very deserving of the 1st stars for both nights.

The knock on Gaunce at the draft was his skating ability. I don't see it as a problem at this level, but i didn't think Archibald's skating was an issue in the OHL either, but it gave him issues in his first pro year. Gaunce will have to improve his acceleration over the next few off-seasons for a smoother transition to the pro level, everything else in his game is there.

• Upvote 4

^^ Yea he's on a great defensive team that's going to help him become an elite two-way player, which is an aspect of his game that seems quite well developed.

People say he's on a bad team because they don't have alot of high end offensive talent, which is true. And they have relied on Subban quite a bit. But it's the system that the team employs that makes them so successful. And also makes them the lowest scoring team in the league.

But ultimately it will make Gaunce better suited for the next level. Because the thing most players struggle with at the next level is their defensive games. He'll have already had 4 years in the OHL perfecting that aspect. His offensive game is something that can be developed more at the AHL level.

Edited by DeNiro

Dude, I'd build a shrine of Gillis if Gaunce turned into Toews.

Don't get your hopes up, King probably thinks Gaunce is the next Jay McClement.

And since he knows more about our prospects than any of us (Even though he doesn't follow them at all) We should take his opinion to heart.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Don't get your hopes up, King probably thinks Gaunce is the next Manny Malhotra, who is useless in Kings eyes.

And since he knows more about our prospects than any of us (Even though he doesn't follow them at all) We should take his opinion to heart.

Oh I know. Because King's opinion matters more than anyone else's right?

2nd straight first star outing. .. 5 points in the last 2 games way to go brendan!

Yup. Played well from what I saw in the highlights packages.

• 1g, 2a and a +2 against Guelph in a 6-3 win
  • 1g, 1a and +1 in a 3-2 win against Kitchener

Gaunce had a nicer tip than the one for his goal in the Kitchener game, but it hit the crossbar. He's been involved in the cycle a lot too as well as spending time in front of the net, and I think he's starting to find a comfortable spot in his game. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I'm still holding on to this fool's hope that Gaunce is going to EXCEED expectations and become a Getzlaf-type player for the Canucks. You never know, though. Getzlaf only had ONE season in which he scored over a point per game in the WHL and in his last season he barely managed to finish with a point per game. Yet, look at him now. If you've got the big body, the hockey IQ and the vision, you don't necessarily have to be super skilled with all the dangles and stuff to put up points as a top 6 playmaking centre in the NHL. You just have to be able to use your body to protect the puck well and have the smarts and vision to dish the puck to the open man.

Anyway, I'm not expecting him to become the next Getzlaf. He just looks like he could be that kind of player if he exceeds expectations. /fantasy

Edited by NuxFan09