The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

32 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Gaunce was everywhere tonight. Looked great. 

Agreed. Showed great hustle on that no-goal to start the play and battle to finish it off. He created some other good chances too, I remember a pass out front to Grenier that almost worked if memory serves.

His skating looks very strong when he gets up to top speed. Its just that his coasting speed/first few strides seem a little subpar so when he's hovering around without the puck it can kind of look like he's floating at times, even though that's not the case. He was solid on the PK too.

• Upvote 1

I liked Pyatt but the main complaint people had of him was he was not physical. Don't remember him throwing a check as a Canuck (after losing his girlfriend just after their engagement, he was more physical and intense playing for Pheonix). For a guy who was 6'4" and 230 lbs, he was a very gentle giant with us. He had a good hard shot but only reached the 20 goal mark once in his career. His skating was good. His work effort was fine. The problem was he just did not have that killer instinct and intensity playing for us. I was always left with a feeling of wanting more from him. More results; either wearing the other team out or more production.

Gaunce of course is just starting his NHL career so we have no large body of work to compare with. However, from what I have seen from Gaunce, I am not left with the same feeling of wanting more after his performances like I had with Pyatt. He gives his all to get results. He plays with more intensity.

Although not as big, Guance does throw occasional hits and uses his size more than Pyatt (in his early years and playing for us). He goes to the net more. Gaunce also has a nice shot but because of his higher hockey IQ is more often in "the right spot at the right time". These attributes bodes well for his future production.

Both Gaunce and Pyatt were good defensively. Pyatt relying on his skating, hard work, big body and reach to be good defensively. Gaunce on his hard work, skating, hockey IQ, and big body to a lesser extent.

There is a slight similarity between Pyatt and Gaunce (both bigger players, good defensively and played for the Canucks). However, I think they are very different players and will have very different careers. At the end of it all, I think we will all be quite satisfied with Gaunce's career. This is the complete opposite of the feelings I have with Pyatt's career as a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

What's with a kid who if he made the team next year, would be in a bottom 6 roll and shows zero snarl. Your 6'2" 210lbs, hit something, fight someone and for god's sake don't let a guy like Jaskin from St.Louis push you around. One of the biggest problems with this team is that our two top players have zero push back and no snarl resulting in a team that when pushed physically shuts down. This is common knowledge throughout the league and this is why signing Lucic is so very important, he would bring a contagious tenacity that the team is missing and has been missing since Bertuzzi and Jovo. Size that plays with tenacity and snarl intimidates that's why LA, Anahiem, St.Louis, San Jose, Boston etc... are so hard to play against. 

7 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

What's with a kid who if he made the team next year, would be in a bottom 6 roll and shows zero snarl. Your 6'2" 210lbs, hit something, fight someone and for god's sake don't let a guy like Jaskin from St.Louis push you around. One of the biggest problems with this team is that our two top players have zero push back and no snarl resulting in a team that when pushed physically shuts down. This is common knowledge throughout the league and this is why signing Lucic is so very important, he would bring a contagious tenacity that the team is missing and has been missing since Bertuzzi and Jovo. Size that plays with tenacity and snarl intimidates that's why LA, Anahiem, St.Louis, San Jose, Boston etc... are so hard to play against. 

Agree with a lot of your comments. I think both Virtanen and McCann have some snarl but need leadership. Horvat uses his body but not enough. Never is aggressive in a confrontation. Cannot forget last year when Calgary went after Sbisa who was playing a physical game. Not one Canuck went to his aid. For all the complaints about Dorsett I have never seen him back down.

The Sedins have amped their physical play over the past two years but are definitely not leaders in that department. Another sad aspect about their play is that other players try and copy their play instead of sticking with what got them to the show. Passes that they can make are tried by others and they invariably fail. Puck possession is tailored for the Twins. Other lines will dump and chase but often not as much as they should.  

On 25 March 2016 at 1:36 AM, captaincowbasher said:

Well it's in there somewhere because his brother was a real battler in the NHL. I don't think you have to fight but you do need to push back or the other guy rates you as a poosy. I really think our rookies should all get boxing coaching in the summer.

I am much more concerned for Bo. The guy is in danger of making Henrik seem like a bruiser.

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

. . . . . . 

I am much more concerned for Bo. The guy is in danger of making Henrik seem like a bruiser.

Got to call BS on that.  Bo might not be mean or a fighter, but he is no PUSSY.  He plays hard, drives to the net and takes the body; ... he plays hard.  Not sure who you are watching ?

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2016 at 5:36 PM, captaincowbasher said:

If you are looking for snarl from gaunce then you should look elsewhere.

Gaunce is a 2-way center. Not a powerforward. Even though management wants him to be a powerforward so badly.

• Upvote 2

Gaunce looks a lot more comfortable at center than wing.  Seems to be in a better position on the ice as a center than wing and makes better plays with puck.  I think he is a pretty good distributor of the puck which is a huge thing when you are a center.

Plus his size and strength in the middle is valuable especially in a bottom six role.  Having Bo and Brendan as fixtures at center ice is pretty good. Two very strong and thick players is hard to compete against.

4 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Got to call BS on that.  Bo might not be mean or a fighter, but he is no PUSSY.  He plays hard, drives to the net and takes the body; ... he plays hard.  Not sure who you are watching ?

I'm watching the guy who gets himself to the outside of any scrimmage every game while guys like Jake, Jared, Hutton, Biega, Bart all make for the trouble spot.

Wake up, open your eyes and stop ignoring the facts. That's not C material in my book.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm watching the guy who gets himself to the outside of any scrimmage every game while guys like Jake, Jared, Hutton, Biega, Bart all make for the trouble spot.

Wake up, open your eyes and stop ignoring the facts. That's not C material in my book.

I've seen Bo drive the net multiple times per game this season, while he isn't quite doing it as often as he was when his hot streak started, it's still a pretty big part of his game. Not sure how you don't see that.