The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

39 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

So a few things I noticed in this highlight video...

Gaunce definitely has worked on his speed. Although his feet aren't moving at a million times per second, they're nice elegant strides that are efficient and has allowed him to get that extra gear for some breakaways. The way he broke away from Drouin in that video was impressive. 

I don't know if people still remember, but when he was first drafted, one of Gaunce's strengths was that he already had an NHL shot. I believe someone quoted Luongo as someone who pointed that out. His shot isn't at Phil the Thrill's level, but it's still very good. He seems to have a long reach with a very quick release so it might be harder for goalies to anticipate. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Carters, although it might not be at his level yet. 

Again his long reach and improved speed has really allowed him to become an even better defensive player. These are musts at the next level. 

Gaunce has always been a smart player with a high hockey IQ. He seems to anticipate the puck very well and is always in good position. Furthermore, he reads the play very well. This was proven in the video when he comes all the way back and clears the puck away after Rupert hit the post and the puck was sitting on the goal line. 

Overall, very happy with Gaunce's performance and I hope to see him crack the lineup this coming fall. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Wouldn't surprise me either, even though Gaunce has more than earned a shot on the big club.  But it's a numbers game and he's got another year without waivers.  Even if they move Burrows and Higgins, they'll probably sign a UFA forward so it will work out the same.  Frankly, I like Gaunce at 4C way more than Granlund and think he would consolidate the heavy lineup that's forming from our D out, but Weisbrod likes Granlund a lot so that's the end of that. 

To me, Granlund showed me exactly what I expected to see - which is to say, nothing much. 

I am with you - I'm far more interested to see what Gaunce might develop into than I am with Granlund in that role.  But since he was just acquired, you know Gaunce will have to work his butt off to pass Granlund on the depth chart.

• Upvote 1

On June 6, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Qwags said:

I can see him as a solid 3C in 3-4 years time.

Even if he is a solid 4c that can move around the lineup would be fantastic. I'm a huge fan of this kid, I love what Utica has done to him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Even if he is a solid 4c that can move around the lineup would be fantastic. I'm a huge fan of this kid, I love what Utica has done to him. 

I really like Gaunce too.  The team asked him to move to wing to play more in straight lines and he did.  Then he went back to centre on the big club, and was far more involved.  I see other teams really wanting him, so JB might include him to sweeten a Hansen type deal.  Maybe?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Gaunce too.  The team asked him to move to wing to play more in straight lines and he did.  Then he went back to centre on the big club, and was far more involved.  I see other teams really wanting him, so JB might include him to sweeten a Hansen type deal.  Maybe?  

I'd hate to see him go.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

What's with the passion to trade the Vcr roster ....it's going to be a junior team shortly :lol:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hansen + Guance to get another first round pick?  It's a very deep draft, much like 2003.  

Personally I want to watch some entertaining hockey this coming season. And frankly I don't for a moment believe Gaunce and Hansen would net you a 1st round pick and even if it did ( which it ain't, no ones trading a first  for 2 journeymen players ) you can cout on a low first or maybe a second who are 3-5 years away from significance 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hansen + Guance to get another first round pick?  It's a very deep draft, much like 2003.  

And then in 2 years you'll say trade those prospects for more draft picks right?

The game of Hockey is played with actual physical humans you know, not picks.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is pure speculation. All drafts look promising when they roll around but none ever amount to the 2003 one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2016 at 10:59 AM, Alflives said:

Gaunce has plenty of skill.  He's just a sluggish skater, so he can't play the rush skill game.  Plus, define skill.  JV is one of the best body checkers, and fastest skaters in the league.  Are these not skill world class skills?  OV has world class skill for scoring goals.  Has he won a Cup?  What's Toews' world class skill?  

Gaunce has a really high hockey Q.  Is that not a skill?  

Sluggish skater? Did you not see him outrace Drouin in that highlight clip?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Qwags said:

Sluggish skater? Did you not see him outrace Drouin in that highlight clip?

He's not a quick footed skater.  His top end - straight line - speed, is fine.  He just take more time to get there than quick footed guys, like Drouin.