The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

unless he totally out plays people at camp

A lot will depend on how the trio of Burr/Virtanen/Rodin show at camp. He's likely going to have to leapfrog one, if not two of them to get a spot on the big club. Not impossible but no easy task.

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I can't say I know a ton about AHL hockey but looking at some of the signings JB made this past week, is it fair to say the Comets look to be very good next year? 

I'd say they look significantly improved, although I'd still like to see them add an "AHL All-Star" or two to the lineup (ideally a #1C and #1D, each with a proven history of posting top-10 stats for their position). But with the players they've added, they should be better.

And it's worth noting that they were pretty decent last year, even with a depleted lineup and having to use around a dozen ECHL PTOs over the season and struggling to even ice a full lineup many nights. When you consider their challenges, it's a credit to the coaches and the returning players that they were able to even make the playoffs.

It remains to be seen whether or not the additions this season will translate into making the Comets a true contender for the Calder Cup. I'd like to see them add those couple players I mentioned on the top end. But good progression from the returning prospects, solid production from their AHL vets, and strong rookie campaigns from guys like Stecher and Demko would probably be enough to make them pretty competitive among the top teams in that league.

Although Utica isn't nearly as deep (on paper) as some of the AHL's elite teams, they do have a very good coach and have added some promising new players (both the prospects and veteran signings) with the potential to really make a difference. So while they're not going to be a Calder favourite to start 2016-17, with some luck, they might be one by the end of the regular season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd say they look significantly improved, although I'd still like to see them add an "AHL All-Star" or two to the lineup (ideally a #1C and #1D, each with a proven history of posting top-10 stats for their position). But with the players they've added, they should be better.

And it's worth noting that they were pretty decent last year, even with a depleted lineup and having to use around a dozen ECHL PTOs over the season and struggling to even ice a full lineup many nights. When you consider their challenges, it's a credit to the coaches and the returning players that they were able to even make the playoffs.

It remains to be seen whether or not the additions this season will translate into making the Comets a true contender for the Calder Cup. I'd like to see them add those couple players I mentioned on the top end. But good progression from the returning prospects, solid production from their AHL vets, and strong rookie campaigns from guys like Stecher and Demko would probably be enough to make them pretty competitive among the top teams in that league.

Although Utica isn't nearly as deep (on paper) as some of the AHL's elite teams, they do have a very good coach and have added some promising new players (both the prospects and veteran signings) with the potential to really make a difference. So while they're not going to be a Calder favourite to start 2016-17, with some luck, they might be one by the end of the regular season.

Makes sense. Relative to 2014-15 when the Comets went to the Calder Cup finals, what the Comets lack is, as you say, AHL all-star type vets like Cal O-Reilly (center) and Bobby Sanguinetti (D). And Markstrom had a great year. Maybe Demko can do the same thing this year.

It would be great if actual prospects could be team leaders on a contending Utica team. On D, Stecher has a chance and Subban should continue to get better. As for forwards, either Gaunce or Virtanen will probably be in Utica and whichever guy it is could be very productive.

And presumably Rendulic, Billins, Megna, and Chaput are all expected to help make Utica competitive, although I don't think they are  likely AHL all-stars. 

25 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Makes sense. Relative to 2014-15 when the Comets went to the Calder Cup finals, what the Comets lack is, as you say, AHL all-star type vets like Cal O-Reilly (center) and Bobby Sanguinetti (D). And Markstrom had a great year. Maybe Demko can do the same thing this year.

It would be great if actual prospects could be team leaders on a contending Utica team. On D, Stecher has a chance and Subban should continue to get better. As for forwards, either Gaunce or Virtanen will probably be in Utica and whichever guy it is could be very productive.

And presumably Rendulic, Billins, Megna, and Chaput are all expected to help make Utica competitive, although I don't think they are  likely AHL all-stars. 

Yeah, that's my hope too (that their existing players, with the new additions, can rise to fill the key roles vacated from that 2014-15 team).

And while I'd definitely be shopping for some former AHL All-Stars if my goal was to contend for the Calder, if my goal is development, I'd probably look to challenge the young guys to elevate their games and fill the voids.

And given the quality of some of the recent complementary signings, I think there might be enough support in that lineup to allow a few of the young stars to really shine.

EDIT: to bring things back to topic, the current Comets roster provides a pretty nice opportunity for Gaunce to step into an important role. And that might not be available to him if Utica was built strictly as a Calder contender (with most of the key roles filled by AHL veterans).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

• 3 weeks later...

If benning does make a trade it'll be out of spite and to just clean out what he didnt draft. That would be unfortunate as Im a big Gaunce fan and see him as great for the bottom half. Loved him when we drafted him, and has been impressive but just seems to be a slow draw out transition.

Be a shame to lose him just as he makes his push 

2 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

If benning does make a trade it'll be out of spite and to just clean out what he didnt draft. That would be unfortunate as Im a big Gaunce fan and see him as great for the bottom half. Loved him when we drafted him, and has been impressive but just seems to be a slow draw out transition.

Be a shame to lose him just as he makes his push 

JB preaches character as a key to players, and Gaunce has great character.  If there is a Kane trade, I see Gaunce as part of it.  

Just now, Alflives said:

JB preaches character as a key to players, and Gaunce has great character.  If there is a Kane trade, I see Gaunce as part of it.  

Mmmm kane.... So much mystery there, tempting yet terrifying, sweet but sour, tantalizing skill and character flaws galour... 

If we give up too much then I will be unpleased. Gaunce would be a good chip to throw into a deal, would suck to see him go though. 

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

Mmmm kane.... So much mystery there, tempting yet terrifying, sweet but sour, tantalizing skill and character flaws galour... 

If we give up too much then I will be unpleased. Gaunce would be a good chip to throw into a deal, would suck to see him go though. 

I wonder how Sabres fans feel about giving up Myers to get Kane?  Buffalo probably wants Tanev, but no way JB does that, right?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how Sabres fans feel about giving up Myers to get Kane?  Buffalo probably wants Tanev, but no way JB does that, right?

If tanev goes out it'll be for more then kane I'd think. It's so hard to not bring up the Hall trade as an example. Tanev is better then Larsson, kane isn't as good as hall in talent or character. 

If this is a blockbuster and there are more pieces then you never know, depends on how badly winnipeg wants kane gone if tanev is invovled. 

I think Gaunce is going to have a breakout season this year.  Last year he was scoring at a similar rate to Shinks (who so many consider a sniper), yet he plays a solid 2-way game, has good size and great hockey sense.  Kid's going to be a fabulous 3rd line LW/C in a couple of years.

I really hope he is not traded, as I think he will end up being a better player than Etem or Granlund. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2016 at 1:38 PM, Borvat said:

Gaunce is my dark horse Canuck prospect for next year.  I am hoping he has a good summer and can work on his first couple of steps to get up to speed.  He has a solid all around game. 

I think he almost has too at this point. This year should be career defining for him, he's either capped out, or he's just starting to blossom. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

If tanev goes out it'll be for more then kane I'd think. It's so hard to not bring up the Hall trade as an example. Tanev is better then Larsson, kane isn't as good as hall in talent or character. 

If this is a blockbuster and there are more pieces then you never know, depends on how badly winnipeg wants kane gone if tanev is invovled. 

Buffalo does have a young potential number one centre (Reinhart) JB would be interested in. B)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Buffalo does have a young potential number one centre (Reinhart) JB would be interested in. B)

Well slap my belly and call me shirly as id be into a reinhart, you dont need 2 1st line centres!!

now it's a blockbuster

tanev, sbisa/baer, gaunce, a first and a second..

for 

reinhart and kane? 

I dont know if we have enough for reinhart without crippling us elsewhere or giving up the farm so to speak