The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He'll be an RFA though. Doesn't the player have to be signed?

Not RFAs, if he gets drafted Las Vegas can just qualify him to keep his rights and then negotiate a contract with him.  

Edited by mll

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Not RFAs, if he gets drafted Las Vegas can just qualify him to keep his rights.  

Damn. 

Well that might increase his chances of getting dealt then if he can't crack the roster. That or we'll end up dealing or leaving Granlund and Etem unprotected.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We have to protect the Twins, right?  

Ericksson

Bo

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

who are the other three?

All fwds(only 3 D, I think?)

Presumably...Sutter, Baer & Badger.

So of Etem, Granny, Rodin, Gaunce, et al..if one of them has a breakthru-yr?...

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sutter is for sure protected, so that's 8.  Of all those other guys, do we really suffer a great loss if one of them is claimed?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Sutter is for sure protected, so that's 8.  Of all those other guys, do we really suffer a great loss if one of them is claimed?  

If so, these guys will all have made great progress, right? I actually think JB is positioned fairly well(with youth & cap space), leading up to expansion.

With that fact, great deals might be on offer from other GM's that can't protect all their worthy assets.

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To keep Gaunce we should trade Hansen now, and let Gaunce play.

Hansen is projected to be in the top-6 next year.  Gaunce sees himself as a shutdown player at the NHL level.  The vet he should be replacing is more likely Dorsett.  Except that's not going to happen.  

WD is under a tonne of pressure to win - I doubt the youth will get a lot of opportunities this year.  To choose between playing a younger player or a vet when his job is on the line - the choice is easy.  Benning even wants to add another vet for the top-6 - it also pushes another youngster out of the lineup.  

So Gaunce is probably in competition with Etem at LW and Granlund at C.

Edited by mll

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think you'll see Hansen and one of Etem, Granlund or Rodin packaged together before the deadline to be honest.

It doesn't make sense to lose young assets when you can get something for Hansen while his value is high.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If so, these guys will all have made great progress, right? I actually think JB is positioned fairly well(with youth & cap space), leading up to expansion.

With that fact, great deals might be on offer from other GM's that can't protect all their worthy assets.

with such harsh expansion rules will there actually be any teams with surplus protection slots available to take advantage of those GMs?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think you'll see Hansen and one of Etem, Granlund or Rodin packaged together before the deadline to be honest.

It doesn't make sense to lose young assets when you can get something for Hansen while his value is high.

It's an interesting projection..because you'd have to assume 15~20 rival GM's likely are mulling a similar move. So does this depreciate the return one would otherwise receive for such a package?

In the end, over the near term, we'd have to assume the relative value of draft picks markedly increases. That, & young prospects who don't require protection.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The final protection spot will be between Hansen, Etem, Granlund, Gaunce or Dorsett.

Rodin will likely be a UFA.  He needs to play 80 NHL games this season to remain a RFA.  Last year only Horvat and Daniel played the full season.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

with such harsh expansion rules will there actually be any teams with surplus protection slots available to take advantage of those GMs?

This is where a keen eye for precise evaluation/valuation for one's(& rival's assets) will be so essential.

JB better be sharp this next yr...