The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Back to Brendan Gaunce just for a moment. In MG interview today on 1040 he seemed to indicate Gaunce has a fair chance of making the team next season and likely Jensen to. Makes a bit of a change. Assuming Corrado continues along with Tanev that's some nice pieces hopefully falling into place. Who knows maybe Schroeder too

Training camp is going to be interesting this coming season. Corrado, Lack, Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, Lian. We've got a good number of young players who could challenge for a spot on this team. It's pretty much a given Kassian will be with us, which is why I haven't mentioned him with the others.

It's going to be an interesting summer for Gillis. He might have to ship a piece or two out to make room.

My guess is there's two ways he could go with Gaunce. Let him up on the team to play 3rd line center minutes or send him back down and let him polish up his game to dominate the junior level again.

Really a toss up between two scenarios and I think either scenario Gaunce will benefit in regardless. I really hope that he stays in Junior and we pick up a bonafide 3rd line center so Gaunce could get some more experience and work on his game a bit more.

What Gaunce brings is not only his on ice abilities but his Entry Level Contract. MG is desperate for cheap but talented players to get under the Cap. Given his choice he'd likely send Gaunce back to junior but under the financial restraint he's caught in he doesn't have a lot of choice. It would be nice if Jensen proved his abilities in the AHL but dollars to doughnuts he'll be playing to, like wise Corrado. The Canucks are in a big time financial problem with the lower Cap this season and that will be solved by playing some ELC when maybe they shouldn't be playing at that level yet

If he's ready or close to ready he'll be up with the big club.

If it's clear he needs another year in junior, then that's where he'll be.

The organization won't risk puting him in a situation that he's not physically or mentally ready for. That can ruin a players career, and really it can be dangerous for the player.

Schroeder should be ready to be the third line center and will give the team an option next season.

I agree with DeNiro. If Gaunce looks like he's ready or close to ready he'll likely get a spot somewhere. If he's not he'll get his last year in junior and likely make the club the season after.

We're lucky Gaunce can play wing though, or we'd have an interesting problem. Schroeder slots in at center, and I don't think he can play wing. I might be wrong though? Actually, it would be interesting to see Gaunce get a look with Kesler.

I agree with DeNiro. If Gaunce looks like he's ready or close to ready he'll likely get a spot somewhere. If he's not he'll get his last year in junior and likely make the club the season after.

We're lucky Gaunce can play wing though, or we'd have an interesting problem. Schroeder slots in at center, and I don't think he can play wing. I might be wrong though? Actually, it would be interesting to see Gaunce get a look with Kesler.

Schroeder didn't fair very well at wing in the AHL season before last, but that's not a 100% verdict on his chances there. I've wondered if he couldn't do a similar role on Kesler's wing to what Roy was doing when they were on the same line. Kesler would still take faceoffs but Schroeder can add to the playmaking side of things, and at a much cheaper rate than Roy. Maybe Jensen/Booth/etc. on the left side with Kesler in the middle and Schroeder on the right?

Gaunce could come in and play left wing as well but that isn't too likely considering the depth we have in that area. Things change but if he succeeds soon it'll be as a 3rd line center behind Hank and Kesler. It'll be interesting to see how training camp plays out though, with a number of younger options rounding into form.

Schroeder is not built to play wing. He has to be preferable away from the boards where he can be easily tied up. Gaunce on the other hand can play either wing or centre he's adept and built for either jobs. A big skilled player is better than a small skilled player. I wonder if a coach would be willing to play two rookies together.

I'm not going to be surprised if Gaunce become a real quality player, he's made to succeed at the NHL level. One of the things you look for in a youngster is the ability to continue to grow and from every thing I've read Gaunce is still on the up swing.I don't get that feeling as much with Jensen. Corrado and Tanev you could indentify immiediatley

• 1 month later...

Schroeder is not built to play wing. He has to be preferable away from the boards where he can be easily tied up. Gaunce on the other hand can play either wing or centre he's adept and built for either jobs. A big skilled player is better than a small skilled player. I wonder if a coach would be willing to play two rookies together.

I'm not going to be surprised if Gaunce become a real quality player, he's made to succeed at the NHL level. One of the things you look for in a youngster is the ability to continue to grow and from every thing I've read Gaunce is still on the up swing.I don't get that feeling as much with Jensen. Corrado and Tanev you could indentify immiediatley

Sorry, no enough drive like other smaller players. Too small.

Schroeder didn't fair very well at wing in the AHL season before last, but that's not a 100% verdict on his chances there. I've wondered if he couldn't do a similar role on Kesler's wing to what Roy was doing when they were on the same line. Kesler would still take faceoffs but Schroeder can add to the playmaking side of things, and at a much cheaper rate than Roy. Maybe Jensen/Booth/etc. on the left side with Kesler in the middle and Schroeder on the right?

Gaunce could come in and play left wing as well but that isn't too likely considering the depth we have in that area. Things change but if he succeeds soon it'll be as a 3rd line center behind Hank and Kesler. It'll be interesting to see how training camp plays out though, with a number of younger options rounding into form.

I could easily see Gaunce on Kesler's wing with Booth, in a stretch even this year. Remembering without Manny it will be the primary shut down line! Gaunce is not Malkin but is conscientious of passing and it looks like an absolute BEAST of a physical line!

It also would free Schroeder to play with Burrows and Hansen (which would be an extremely fast and creative 3rd line). They would score goals against secondary matchups!

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian

Booth/Kesler/Gaunce

Burrows/Schroeder/Hansen

Higgins/Santorelli/Richardson

That's a speed and skill line up which looks easily like the best 4 line depth we have rolled out in years?

• Upvote 1

^ My only criticism would be switching Booth and Gaunce. Booth can play right wing, and Gaunce played mostly left wing this season. Much easier for a veteran to switch wings than a rookie.

But yea, I wouldn't rule out Gaunce making it. It's about who's willing to work hardest in training camp to prove who deserves to stay, and I think Gaunce may have an edge over Jensen in that regard.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen

Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could be an interesting lineup in about 2 years, gunna be interesting to see where some of the vets fit in a couple years if most of the youngsters pan out. Sedins and Kesler would still be able to carry most of the offense with most of the young guns in supporting roles.

Lineup like that is quite interchangeable to such as

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Gaunce-Kesler-Kassian

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could also be quite good. good blend of offensive lines and 2 way lines

Just don't see where Schroeder can fit unless he can switch to wing and put up some point totals before Gaunce and Horvat are ready. Which might even be this year or next

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Jensen

Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could be an interesting lineup in about 2 years, gunna be interesting to see where some of the vets fit in a couple years if most of the youngsters pan out. Sedins and Kesler would still be able to carry most of the offense with most of the young guns in supporting roles.

Lineup like that is quite interchangeable to such as

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Gaunce-Kesler-Kassian

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Lain-Mallet

Could also be quite good. good blend of offensive lines and 2 way lines

Just don't see where Schroeder can fit unless he can switch to wing and put up some point totals before Gaunce and Horvat are ready. Which might even be this year or next

No Burrows?

^ My only criticism would be switching Booth and Gaunce. Booth can play right wing, and Gaunce played mostly left wing this season. Much easier for a veteran to switch wings than a rookie.

But yea, I wouldn't rule out Gaunce making it. It's about who's willing to work hardest in training camp to prove who deserves to stay, and I think Gaunce may have an edge over Jensen in that regard.

Fair point,right to left swap of Booth and Gaunce it is. And add on point. Jensen looked pretty ready in the scrimmage, but did not put the work in all ends we saw from Gaunce and especially Horvat.

One plus (IMO) about AV was that he rewarded work ethic first. We'll see how Jensen fairs with Torts? :)

Cheers

Each line should have 2 vets and a young player. The young player adds the missing ingredient that the vets don't have to make the line balanced with speed, size, hands, and defensive play.

Sedin Sedin Kassian (Kassian adds some speed and size, hands are good) balanced

Burrows Kesler Jensen (Burrows is the playmaker, Jensen the size and hands) balanced

Booth Schroeder Higgins (Booth gives the line some size, Higgy defensive responsibility and speed)

Guance Richardson Hansen (Gaunce, no pressure on the wing, go out play defensively responsible, get experience and can slot in at C if one of our c's gets hurt). Richardson good faceoff man. Hansen is the man as we all know

4 lines, balanced with youth speed, hands, defensive responsibilty. Only thing we lack is hitting and that's why I wanted us to keep Lappy.

Oh well

Edited by In the Slot