The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

They still have to pass the criteria in the CHL/NHL agreement though. We couldn't not sign Virtanen for instance, then sign him to a tryout contract and have him play in the AHL. His CHL team still holds his rights outside of the NHL while he's still CHL eligible.

What if they resign from the chl?

You would think you would be able to just send a CHL team a sum of money to release the player.

I don't think another year of Junior is going to hurt Horvat. Mark Scheifele was at a point were he was too good for Junior but not good enough for the NHL, and in the long run that extra year of Junior seemed to help him a lot.

• Upvote 1

There was a thread not too long ago that covered the rules around players for chl/ahl/nhl. In the document it mentioned that a player under the age of 20 can sign an amatuer tryout with the ahl. Meaning that you can play in the ahl under 20, maybe this wouldn't work for Horvat though as he is under contract with the Canucks

Tryout contracts are short term contracts, and that's only for after their CHL season is complete. a player under 20 drafted outside of the CHL can sign a AHL contract, but CHL players cannot do that.

Edited by avelanch

All this talk of going back to london to refine hiss offense is wrong imho. first off he had well over a oint a game. second dale hunter was saying on hnc that he gets every tough d assignment and how is playing with boys gonna prepare him for the pros better then actually playing in the pros with sheltered mins while learning how to play with men. im all for not rushing our young guys but its time to let some of these guys play and let them get some jands on experience. heck tons of teams including the elite teams have had players step in last year in there draft year. id rather have gaunce and bo on the 3rd and 4th lines over richardson and hanson they wont hurt us on d and have more upside. and if he looks totally lost then send him down after 9 games and gaunce back to utica. all that talk of oh playing them in the bottom 6 will ruin them is just silly best way to learn is to actually just get out and do it, please tell me how playing with boys will prepare him any further its not like hes 17 hes done all he can do in the ohl time to make the next step :canucks:;)

All this talk of going back to london to refine hiss offense is wrong imho. first off he had well over a oint a game. second dale hunter was saying on hnc that he gets every tough d assignment and how is playing with boys gonna prepare him for the pros better then actually playing in the pros with sheltered mins while learning how to play with men. im all for not rushing our young guys but its time to let some of these guys play and let them get some jands on experience. heck tons of teams including the elite teams have had players step in last year in there draft year. id rather have gaunce and bo on the 3rd and 4th lines over richardson and hanson they wont hurt us on d and have more upside. and if he looks totally lost then send him down after 9 games and gaunce back to utica. all that talk of oh playing them in the bottom 6 will ruin them is just silly best way to learn is to actually just get out and do it, please tell me how playing with boys will prepare him any further its not like hes 17 hes done all he can do in the ohl time to make the next step :canucks:;)

I too think all this "send him back to Jr. to develop his offense" talk is a bunch of misguided hooey.

At this point, IMO he has very little to gain from playing at the Jr. level. He might be able to refine his offensive game a touch but Bo is not likely to ever be an offensive dynamo. Solid contributor, yes but being an overwhelming offensive driving force Is not his game. He's not going to get people out of their seats like a Kane or a Bure. He'll largely make smart plays to drive offense.

And that slight improvement will come at the expense of his defensive development and ability to play at an NHL pace. Things he will need far more to play at this level with his skill set and play style.

That said, he still needs to EARN a spot. He will not be handed one. But if management thinks he's even close to doing so, they're going to give him a long, hard look IMO. If he's not close, it's unfortunately back to Jr. I'm excited to see what he brings to camp.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

He's not going to get people out of their seats like a Kane or a Bure. He'll largely make smart plays to drive offense.

Two words: Bo drag. B)

But really, you're right in that he won't be an electric player like Shinkaruk or Virtanen have potential to be. He will be an unsung hero kind of guy though, where much of his hard work goes unnoticed but he still puts up consistent points year after year.

Two words: Bo drag. B)

But really, you're right in that he won't be an electric player like Shinkaruk or Virtanen have potential to be. He will be an unsung hero kind of guy though, where much of his hard work goes unnoticed but he still puts up consistent points year after year.

I'm glad you got what I was trying to say ;)

I'm in no way poo-pooing what his possible offensive ceiling his. I expect he'll be a healthy contributor on our score sheets for years to come. But he's much more likely to be the smart, hard working guy that gets points on his line than the "cowboy".

Frankly I think he can learn to do that better in the NHL than OHL next year IF he's ready.

Edited by J.R.

Yeah, tough to do when dropping an older player from the line up might involve waivers and having them lost for nothing if you can't trade them. That's not good asset management, but on the other hand you want young players who can step up to play.

Yeah, tough to do when dropping an older player from the line up might involve waivers and having them lost for nothing if you can't trade them. That's not good asset management, but on the other hand you want young players who can step up to play.

Or it pushes those guys down the lineup... Losing a Sestito to move say Matthias to 4th line LW wouldn't be the end of the world...

• Upvote 2

I REALLY wonder how they have the bottom 6 penciled in currently?

Higgins, Matthias, Vey

Sestito, Richardson, Hansen

Higgins, Vey, Hansen

Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen

Higgins, Horvat, Hansen

Mathias, Richardson, Dorsett

etc, etc, etc....

• Upvote 1

Higgins, Matthias, Vey

Higgins, Vey, Hansen

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Higgins, Horvat, Hansen

etc, etc, etc....

The 2nd most likely unless Horvat has a great pre-season.

The 2nd most likely unless Horvat has a great pre-season.

I really think they're hoping Vey is worthy of a 3rd line RW role. I bet they'd love nothing more than to have him and either Matthias or Horvat on that line to swap in on strong side draws and "cheat" on them.

Higgins, Matthias, Vey

Higgins, Vey, Hansen

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Higgins, Horvat, Hansen

etc, etc, etc....

I think Horvat has got to be at least on the third line centerman.

And then work his way up.

Richardson and/or Lain would be great fourth line centers. Those players you've mentioned (with the exception of Horvat) would be fine on the fourth line, and perhaps even interchangeable to the third line (for a short period of time, not long term). I think Horvat's development would be best served as the third line centre. He's got a good two-way game, that's perfect for the third line center position. Here's to hoping.

It's still amazing to me how much so many people's opinions of Horvat dropped after the memorial cup and world juniors I mean it's not like that's the only hockey he played lol. I think if he is depended on less defensively and has better line mates than he will have a fantastic year in London assuming that is where he plays this up coming season.