Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

Wouldn't it make more sense to play in SHL or KHL instead of the CHL? It honestly looks like a waste of a year for him to play against children.

Well there's still lots of things he can work on in junior with respect to his offesnive game. He didn't exactly dominate at that level.

I'd rather have our prospects in the CHL then trust the KHL to develop him at this point. The SHL is kind of hit and miss with development IMO.

I have to agree that Horvat could try to develop his offensive skills a little more. His point production has been unimpressive in my opinion and there is no better league right now to develop his offence than the OHL. Obviously if AHL was an option he would be there but perhaps this is the best possible situation for him (looking at the silver lining).

Can anyone tell me why a player like Nathan MacKinnon who's already played 1 year of NHL hockey compared to our Bo Horvat who probably get's sent down for more development.

I'm just wondering if you offensive player like Nathan gets you into the NHL faster than a less offensive minded player like BO.

Wouldn't it make more sense to play in SHL or KHL instead of the CHL? It honestly looks like a waste of a year for him to play against children.

Funny, I was fantasizing the other day about the Nucks getting an SHL farm team to send all those tweener prospects...

hmm, I wonder... just how rich are the Aquilinis ?

So lets say that Bo gets sent down. Would you rather have Domi stick with Arizona, giving Horvat a even bigger role with the Knights? Or have Domi sent down where the Knights will be a stronger team with a better chance at success? I've been struggling with this one a bit since they both have their advantages. I think I would want Max to stick in the NHL. Whats everyone else's opinion?

So lets say that Bo gets sent down. Would you rather have Domi stick with Arizona, giving Horvat a even bigger role with the Knights? Or have Domi sent down where the Knights will be a stronger team with a better chance at success? I've been struggling with this one a bit since they both have their advantages. I think I would want Max to stick in the NHL. Whats everyone else's opinion?

As a Londoner, the hope is that Max gets sent back to us because he'd make a huge difference on this team. That said, developmentally, the clear choice is definitely for him to stick. The higher level of competition that Bo will have to face coupled with the (only slightly) higher pressure on him to perform would definitely help him become a better player in the long run.

Can anyone tell me why a player like Nathan MacKinnon who's already played 1 year of NHL hockey compared to our Bo Horvat who probably get's sent down for more development.

I'm just wondering if you offensive player like Nathan gets you into the NHL faster than a less offensive minded player like BO.

In the case of MacKinnon, he's just a better player. There's a reason that he was the 1st overall pick.

As to whether offensive players make the NHL faster then defensive players, I think it would come down to their team's needs.

he needs to go down to work on his offense and his speed. If he stepped into the NHL right away, he would be put in a shutdown role and his offensive game won't be developed as nicely.

Patience, Grasshopper, a single destination has many different paths to it.

keye-luke3.jpg

• Upvote 4

Top six... First liner... Bottom six...

People have to forget about that kind of line-up structure. Smart drafting is all about TOI and salary cap.

Benning and Co. have stated that Horvat looks to be an important player for our team as a shutdown player. He's got no quit, he is a heavy player, and he is smart enough and has enough skill to play in the NHL. Not too many people are saying he is a career AHLer.

What he needs to do (as has been stated) is improve his game pace. He is playing heavy minutes at the junior level, and where he fits in at the NHL level is against top players. He has to be able to keep up with and outbattle dynamic players like Getzlaf, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, Kesler... that's his calling. The OHL is a jog compared to the sprint in the NHL.

The talk of his offensive development is overblown and a misunderstanding. His projected role at the NHL level is invaluable to a winning team, and acquiring players of that caliber within their role is difficult outside of the draft. Rarely do you see core players in that mold get traded.

Watching him play at the WJC's is the most telling. Fans were disappointed at his lack of dynamism and creativity. But he was a plus player who rarely made a mistake, and his line won the match-ups against the opposition's best. The most important thing for Horvat is, in all honesty, his defensive development. That is his game, and he won't get any farther with that in juniors. He would be pacing himself against teenagers.

Whether or not he produces big numbers, he looks to be a player to be a safe bet to play his role and win his matchup. This summer needs to be cardio, cardio, cardio.

• Upvote 2

IMO horvat should be brought into this team unless he is flat out not ready and I have a hard time imagining that. Cody played limited minutes his first year here, but had a breakout year right after.

Here is my stab at it

Higgins Horvat Vey

Matthias Richardsson Dorsett

Hansen

Hansen may compete with Vey or Mathias, but if he cannot clearly win a job I'd trade him if there are any takers. Should be able to get a 3rd and a 4th for him, dare I ask for a 2nd?

Edited by L. Stanley

IMO horvat should be brought into this team unless he is flat out not ready and I have a hard time imagining that. Cody played limited minutes his first year here, but had a breakout year right after.

Here is my stab at it

Higgins Horvat Vey

Matthias Richardsson Dorsett

Hansen

Hansen may compete with Vey or Mathias, but if he cannot clearly win a job I'd trade him if there are any takers. Should be able to get a 3rd and a 4th for him, dear I ask for a 2nd?

If you know the GM well enough to call him "dear" then I'm sure you can get a 2nd rounder for Hansen :P

Edited by c00kies

Top six... First liner... Bottom six...

People have to forget about that kind of line-up structure. Smart drafting is all about TOI and salary cap.

Benning and Co. have stated that Horvat looks to be an important player for our team as a shutdown player. He's got no quit, he is a heavy player, and he is smart enough and has enough skill to play in the NHL. Not too many people are saying he is a career AHLer.

What he needs to do (as has been stated) is improve his game pace. He is playing heavy minutes at the junior level, and where he fits in at the NHL level is against top players. He has to be able to keep up with and outbattle dynamic players like Getzlaf, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, Kesler... that's his calling. The OHL is a jog compared to the sprint in the NHL.

The talk of his offensive development is overblown and a misunderstanding. His projected role at the NHL level is invaluable to a winning team, and acquiring players of that caliber within their role is difficult outside of the draft. Rarely do you see core players in that mold get traded.

Watching him play at the WJC's is the most telling. Fans were disappointed at his lack of dynamism and creativity. But he was a plus player who rarely made a mistake, and his line won the match-ups against the opposition's best. The most important thing for Horvat is, in all honesty, his defensive development. That is his game, and he won't get any farther with that in juniors. He would be pacing himself against teenagers.

Whether or not he produces big numbers, he looks to be a player to be a safe bet to play his role and win his matchup. This summer needs to be cardio, cardio, cardio.

Thank you! Finally some common sense!

All this "develop his offense" talk is a bunch of hooey IMO. Kesler, Burrows and heck even the Sedins to some degree came in as defensive, third liners and they all seemed to turn out just fine, thanks.

Horvat will be relied upon as a smart, third line defensive forward whichever year he comes in to the NHL, not a scoring dynamo. The things he needs to work on most are his ability to shut down the other team, win faceoffs and adjust to the pace of the NHL. The best place to learn those things is in the NHL. In fact going back to Jr. would be detrimental to him, especially the pace issue.

If he's even close to being ready, he's on the big club IMO. If he's not close, he's likely another two seasons off and this argument is largely academic.

I gotta Agree with JR, if horvat is even remotely close, he should get the nod on the 3rd line. he'll develop better in the NHL getting used to the speed of the pro game, he just can't be punished for not being perfect while he learns the pro game. mistakes WILL happen, and he needs to be given leeway in his first pro year.

I gotta Agree with JR, if horvat is even remotely close, he should get the nod on the 3rd line. he'll develop better in the NHL getting used to the speed of the pro game, he just can't be punished for not being perfect while he learns the pro game. mistakes WILL happen, and he needs to be given leeway in his first pro year.

Gotta agree with this statement. I think if Horvat demonstrates that he's close, then he'll be on the big club. If not, then back to Juniors for him. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember Desjardins saying that if it's between a veteran and a rookie, and the rookie is close, then they go with the young player. We'll see if he holds onto his word about that.

If Horvat is not more than a top 6 player than our pick was a fail. You can get 3rd liners anywhere, his offence isn't NHL top 6 level but if our management wants to develop him into a 3rd liner than you gotta go with it.

If Horvat is not more than a top 6 player than our pick was a fail. You can get 3rd liners anywhere, his offence isn't NHL top 6 level but if our management wants to develop him into a 3rd liner than you gotta go with it.

Starting out on the third line is not the same as having a third line ceiling.

He's not likely going to be a 60 point 2 way, second line C overnight.

kesler and burrows started on the 3rd/4th, they then progressed into 1st/2nd liners over a couple seasons. just because you START on the 3rd, it doesn't mean that's where you will end up.

Hell even the sedins were on the 3rd line when they came over.

Edited by avelanch

If he's isn't scoring 40+ goals on the first line in his first year that trade was a fail!! :frantic:

Derp.