The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I have mixed feelings about this pick. Though he's highly touted, can any of you tell me the difference between him and Brendan Gaunce? Similar styles, same point productions, etc.

He's smaller than Gaunce, but quicker and has more offensive potential.

From all the reports I've read, horvat seems a lot like Patrice Bergeron. Exceptional in all three zones, and very clutch.

He's a very good pick.

From all the reports I've read, horvat seems a lot like Patrice Bergeron. Exceptional in all three zones, and very clutch.

He's a very good pick.

Horvat is like a hybrid of Kesler, Bergeron and Backes.

Another positive he'll have is the opportunity to get another shot at the memorial cup next year. I can't wait.

I have mixed feelings about this pick. Though he's highly touted, can any of you tell me the difference between him and Brendan Gaunce? Similar styles, same point productions, etc.

Better vision and puckhandling. Very good passing and decision making. A more dynamic offensive player. Excellent around the net. More fluid skater.

• Upvote 1

Horvat is like a hybrid of Kesler, Bergeron and Backes.

Another positive he'll have is the opportunity to get another shot at the memorial cup next year. I can't wait.

If Horvat turns into that type of player then I have absolutely no problem with this trade.

Better vision and puckhandling. Very good passing and decision making. A more dynamic offensive player. Excellent around the net. More fluid skater.

He's a very good pick.

From the scouting reports, apparently Horvat isn't that exceptional of a skater either. As for playmaking and vision, I hope it's better than Gaunce because it hasn't translated onto the scoresheet yet. Gaunce and Horvat has eerily similar stats while Horvat got the benefit of playing for a very stacked London Knights team while BOTH centers play a 2-way game.

edit: also, from the looks of it, either Gaunce was a complete steal, or this team's offensive talent pool is a bit more shallow imo.

Edited by Pyrene

From the scouting reports, apparently Horvat isn't that exceptional of a skater either. As for playmaking and vision, I hope it's better than Gaunce because it hasn't translated onto the scoresheet yet. Gaunce and Horvat has eerily similar stats while Horvat got the benefit of playing for a very stacked London Knights team while BOTH centers play a 2-way game.

edit: also, from the looks of it, either Gaunce was a complete steal, or this team's offensive talent pool is a bit more shallow imo.

Gaunce was predicted to go as high as 10-12 last season and fell because of the firesale on Dmen and Laughton's sudden rise. We were very lucky to pick him and I hadn't even considered the possibility of him being available at 26 last year. Much like Shinkaruk at 24 this year.

Gillis has nailed it with pretty much every first round pick recently. No complaints whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Gaunce was predicted to go as high as 10-12 last season and fell because of the firesale on Dmen and Laughton's sudden rise. We were very lucky to pick him and I hadn't even considered the possibility of him being available at 26 last year. Much like Shinkaruk at 24 this year.

Gillis has nailed it with pretty much every first round pick recently. No complaints whatsoever.

which brings me to my next question... why draft someone so safe with the 9th overall pick when we have someone exactly like him in our farm? We could've easily drafted a very high-ended dman if there were no other forwards that were BPA (Aside from Nichuskin). I'm not trying to bash on this pick or anything, but I really expected a very dynamic player for such a high draft pick.

By the look of things if Gillis wanted a 3rd line C, Gaunce will be more ready than Horvat by this point, but you never know.

Edited by Pyrene

Similar to Guance but more offensive upside. Yes he and Gaunce had near mirror point production, but you have to remember Horvat is a year younger than Gaunce and just as productive.

Similar to Guance but more offensive upside. Yes he and Gaunce had near mirror point production, but you have to remember Horvat is a year younger than Gaunce and just as productive.

Gaunce produced just as well on his draft year. Just wanted a more dynamic player is all.

I think the argument can be made that:

Its alot harder to find a dynamic/explosive/big center if you don't have a top 4 pick. Those guys are not a dime a dozen and go very early, just like big, offensive defenseman.

So, get the best big, two way center and in future years fill out your roster with a dynamic winger as those are easier to find than the center.

Nazzy, Morrison, Bert were a great line, but Morrison was never considered an "elite" center. Just a very good 2 way guy. And he didn't have size.

I don't mine Horvat/Gaunce as our future 1/2 if we can find the talent on the wings to support a responsible 2 way center.

My only issue is, you typically want a guy who can distribute the puck well at center. Neither of these guys are playmakers. They are good scorers, good in their own end character guys, Rod Brind'amour comes to mind for the old folks.

Perhaps this means they are keeping Schroeder and will bookend him with size, which would make sense and move Guance to the wing, where he has shown some prowess.

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Gaunce Schroeder Jensen

Alot of hope and assumptions here and all of those players HAVE to develop but here is some good all around skill there. Shinkaruk will have to show he can score like he did in Junior and Schroeder will have to make the next step now...but if they do, the rest of that top 2 lines looks decent.

I think the argument can be made that:

Its alot harder to find a dynamic/explosive/big center if you don't have a top 4 pick. Those guys are not a dime a dozen and go very early, just like big, offensive defenseman.

So, get the best big, two way center and in future years fill out your roster with a dynamic winger as those are easier to find than the center.

Nazzy, Morrison, Bert were a great line, but Morrison was never considered an "elite" center. Just a very good 2 way guy. And he didn't have size.

I don't mine Horvat/Gaunce as our future 1/2 if we can find the talent on the wings to support a responsible 2 way center.

My only issue is, you typically want a guy who can distribute the puck well at center. Neither of these guys are playmakers. They are good scorers, good in their own end character guys, Rod Brind'amour comes to mind for the old folks.

Perhaps this means they are keeping Schroeder and will bookend him with size, which would make sense and move Guance to the wing, where he has shown some prowess.

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Gaunce Schroeder Jensen

Alot of hope and assumptions here and all of those players HAVE to develop but here is some good all around skill there. Shinkaruk will have to show he can score like he did in Junior and Schroeder will have to make the next step now...but if they do, the rest of that top 2 lines looks decent.

Schroeder has shown an ability to do what you suggest. Almost a given now that he centers the 3rd line come October.

Exactly. Keep a close eye on London next year.. he was still on the second line for much of this season. Likewise with Miles Liberati, these guys have had older players in front of them for alot of the time. Horvat is definitely a playoff performer, thats why he went up so high in the draft.

Honestly, I would have been okay with trading Schneider for the 9th overall pick had we taken Nichushkin. No disrespect to Horvat as he is a great 2 way centre player who is good in all situations but from what I've seen of him, he is a slightly lesser version of Kesler. Not as good of a shot but better passer.

Nichushkin is going to be a monster in the NHL, probably the best power forward winger you'll find in the draft. 6'4" almost 200 lbs at his age. Imagine a line of Jensen/Schroeder/Nichushkin - Sniper/Playmaker/Power Forward.

Oh well, crying over spilt mlk now. I hope Horvat proves me wrong and turns into a star.

Man so stoked for Bo Horvat with this franchise. Really wanted him from the start, Bo is a player you want on your team. He plays big when you are calling for a big goal, big shot block, big faceoff win. He has absolute character written all over him, his coaches preach about his leadership skills, even when as a rookie last season with London, he was their go to man in all key situations. Throughout this past OHL playoffs and memorial cup run, Horvat was a key contributor on the scoresheet for the Knights. He plays big when he is called upon and knows how to increase the intensity of his game.

He loves to score, go watch some highlights on youtube of him and you can see the pure joy he has when he scores. This guy interecepts pucks galore much like Pavel Datsyuk, and has amazing speed when he skates. Never to be confused with pavel Bure speed, but his acceleration is pretty good, and is strong on the puck, not pushed off easily. What I love most is his willingness to go to the net with the puck, there is no hesitation on his part to drive the net. Majority of his goals, in front of the net waiting to get the garbage goals.

I jumped outta my seat when we traded Schneids but started screaming when I heard we selected Bo.

Horvat won't be a superstar player, but he will be that player everyone wants on their team, and almost the backbone because of how much he brings to the table everygame. Sounds a lot like Bergeron and Richards, not the best player on the team, but essentailly the heart and soul.

• Sad 1