The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

The clowns that are on from 1pm to 4 pm I turn off Sportsnet 650 then..Prime time sports radio? 

Fire those 2 clowns ,,Please 

Hire Donnie Taylor  and  Moj

I've found that I much prefer listening to the stand up routines offered on 1040 now than listening to those two.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 12:32 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I've found that I much prefer listening to the stand up routines offered on 1040 now than listening to those two.

And now we have no TSN 1040.  I feel so disjointed without being able to listen to 1040.  I just can't get used to 650.  There is just nothing there for me.  I am left now with trying to find a good Canucks Pod Cast.  If anyone has some suggestions for me I would appreciate any help I can get. B)

On 3/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Part of me wonders whether Green is utilizing Horvat properly.

I heard the arguments from Sportsnet 650 about whether he was a top six center, should play the third line etc. Which I guess could be debates, albeit i don't think they really hold weight at all. Bo Horvat for sure is a top six center, a really good 2nd line center but I feel Green is not using Bo or his line optimally. 

IMO, I don't even really think Bo Horvat is a match up / shutdown center to be very honest. I'm not denying that he is a good 200 foot player and can play both ends of the ice adequately, but when I look at Bo's game I don't see a defensive stalwart. Perhaps whenever someone is tagged with being a "two way center" they automatically assume he is Selke trophy worthy. I would describe Bo to be responsible and generally competent to play in his own zone, however, his general inclination is heavily slanted towards being an offensive two way center.  I don't necessarily see his defensive game necessarily as a strength in his game nor is it near the level of some other two way centers like Sean Couturier, Anthony Cirelli, Sasha Barkov, etc let alone Jonathan Toews, Patrice Bergeron, or Anze Kopitar who are excellent defensive two way centers.

I think he has good intangibles to be useful defensively, but other than his faceoff acumen, I don't see huge strengths defensively, but he has improved over the years. He seems more offensively oriented rather than defensively. His strengths as we have seen is generating speed in the neutral zone into the ozone, using his body to shield the puck, and getting into lanes to take shots. The more I have watched Bo over the years, it really feels that his game is going to succeed more so in the ozone rather than the dzone. Perhaps as he gets older and transitions into a lesser offensive role as he ages he may become a defensive center, but I just don't see him as the prototypical match up and shutdown center. He doesn't really exude that edgy, scrappy, and in your face style of center, rather just uses his strength to power through you more so offensively.

I'd rather see Brandon Sutter used in that role, and using Horvat and his line to generate more offense. Based on the the lack of depth and scoring punch overall, when Green uses Bo's line to see prime matchups, his line ultimately lends itself to spent more time the dzone, which leaves the third and fourth lines who are constructed generally already to be defensive to inevitably struggle to generate anything. So it seems useless to only have one scoring oriented line (lotto line) and have 3 checking lines.  I love Bo, I think he does an adequate job going against the best there is, but I think for the sake of balancing the rest of the team, generating more offense, and just playing to Bo's strengths let his line be an offensive line.  Let Brandon Sutter take those match up minutes considering he spends nearly all game in his own zone anyway. 

I agree with your assessment  of Horvat

the problem is that if we are to play against McD and Draisaitl and Matthews and Tavares on 2 differnt lines, that is 35-45 minutes per game

We cannot have Sutter and Beagle playing that much or we have Horvat and Petey/Miller playing 7-12 mins each.

Teams need a Bergeron/Toews type player and on this team it is either Miller or Horvat

Whoever plays with Hoglander/Gaudette is not that guy

I would like to see Pearson/Horvat/Virtanen all play PK because we need those guys to be able to play against the other teams top lines 5v5

you can see how shallow our defensive forwards are when Loui E gets slotted in because Beagle, Motte and Rooster are out

This team is actually short on 200 foot players 

58 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

And now we have no TSN 1040.  I feel so disjointed without being able to listen to 1040.  I just can't get used to 650.  There is just nothing there for me.  I am left now with trying to find a good Canucks Pod Cast.  If anyone has some suggestions for me I would appreciate any help I can get. B)

It's not Canucks-specific, nor is it a podcast, but I find that The Hockey Guy on YouTube has some nice analysis. He's a big-time Canuck fan, though tends to be a bit hard on them for that reason. He also tries to evenly focus on all 31/32 teams.

• Cheers 1

Congrats to Cap, 300 points, 133-167—300 in 481 GP

Only 10 players who debuted with the Canucks required fewer games to hit the milestone (all w/ VAN), with Daniel Sedin (472 GP) and Henrik Sedin (479 GP) the last to do.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

If you put Horvat with offensive players and tell him to just go out there and focus only on offense, he is easily a point a game player.  But Bo is so much more than just offense.  

Thing is, unless we switch things up by bumping him up to the Lotto Line and slot Miller down (JT's got a two-way game too) it'd be tough for Bo to only focus on offense.  Pete - Bo - Brock and Pearson - Miller - Hoglander probably can work also but doubt they'd separate Lotto and we don't necessarily have the makeup to otherwise ice a shutdown unit unless Bo gets to dedicate his time and energy to his own end more. 

Edited by Phil_314

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Thing is, unless we switch things up by bumping him up to the Lotto Line and slot Miller down (JT's got a two-way game too) it'd be tough for Bo to only focus on offense.  Pete - Bo - Brock and Pearson - Miller - Hoglander probably can work also but doubt they'd separate Lotto and we don't necessarily have the makeup to otherwise ice a shutdown unit unless Bo gets to dedicate his time and energy to his own end more. 

Miller is an excellent player but he doesnt match up as well against the other teams top lines.  We saw lotto like get wrecked 5 on 5 this season. 

I think we should leave Bo with brock and hogz and let them match up against the opposing top lines.

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Petey-Miller-Virtanen

Mackewan-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Miller is an excellent player but he doesnt match up as well against the other teams top lines.  We saw lotto like get wrecked 5 on 5 this season. 

I think we should leave Bo with brock and hogz and let them match up against the opposing top lines.

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Petey-Miller-Virtanen

Mackewan-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

I agree, let Bo be the #1 cman and play against the other teams top players.......oh, he does that already!

Edited by stawns

21 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Petey-Miller-Virtanen

Mackewan-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

I agree. After Hoglander joined Horvat, that line's forecheck and possession play has improved immensely.

We could spread out scoring by separating Miller and Petey and put them together if we are behind late in the game.

Hog-Bo-Boes

Vesey-Miller-Virt

Motte-EP-Gaud

Hawryluk-Beagle-Sutter

Miller and Vesey seem to read off of one another quite well and Virtanen has also fit in well on that line.

Motte-Petey-Gaudette could be a scoring line that can get away from the opposition's best defenders and goes out on every offensive opportunities. Motte brings speed and forecheck.

Beagle-Sutter can do shutdown duties. Hawryluk brings speed like Motte so should be able to complement the two veterans.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 24, 2021 at 4:36 PM, khay said:

I agree. After Hoglander joined Horvat, that line's forecheck and possession play has improved immensely.

We could spread out scoring by separating Miller and Petey and put them together if we are behind late in the game.

Hog-Bo-Boes

Vesey-Miller-Virt

Motte-EP-Gaud

Hawryluk-Beagle-Sutter

Miller and Vesey seem to read off of one another quite well and Virtanen has also fit in well on that line.

Motte-Petey-Gaudette could be a scoring line that can get away from the opposition's best defenders and goes out on every offensive opportunities. Motte brings speed and forecheck.

Beagle-Sutter can do shutdown duties. Hawryluk brings speed like Motte so should be able to complement the two veterans.

Next season...

1. Miller - Petey --Hoglander

2. Boeser - Horvat --- Podkolzin

3. Motte - Boyd -- Vesey  ( Virtanen if not traded ) --Lind

4.MacEwen - Beagle -- _______ Lind - Gadjovich-- Lockwood --- ( Roussel , need to buyout...Not same player after knee injury...

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

Next season...

1. Miller - Petey --Hoglander

2. Boeser - Horvat --- Podkolzin

3. Motte - Boyd -- Vesey  ( Virtanen if not traded ) --Lind

4.MacEwen - Beagle -- _______ Lind - Gadjovich-- Lockwood --- ( Roussel , need to buyout...Not same player after knee injury...

Boyd couldn't make the Leafs roster and yet he is a 3C on our team? I think we need to upgrade on Sutter, not sure if Boyd is an upgrade (maybe he is, we haven't seem him in action yet due to COVID protocol).

Vesey-Miller worked well together so far. If they continue to work well together for the rest of the season and we decide to hang on to Vesey as a result, I'd keep those two together on the same line.

If we can't upgrade on 3C (Sutter), then I'd definitely try Petey-Bo-Miller-Beagle as centers and upgrade on wing, which is going to happen naturally as a result of Podkolzin and Lind joining the team next season.

Edit: Our winger depth next season is going to be pretty good but not good enough to contend just yet:

Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Vesey, Motte, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, MacEwen, Roussel.

In a season or two, we can move Lind over as 3C, at which point, we can bring Miller back as a winger. If we can add another top flight winger via UFA when the cap situation gets better (in a season or two), we should be good to contend for the cup.

Tampa is the latest cup winner and they don't really have any weakness... but one thing that does stick out is their great center depth of Stamkos-Point-Cirelli.

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, khay said:

Boyd couldn't make the Leafs roster and yet he is a 3C on our team? I think we need to upgrade on Sutter, not sure if Boyd is an upgrade (maybe he is, we haven't seem him in action yet due to COVID protocol).

Vesey-Miller worked well together so far. If they continue to work well together for the rest of the season and we decide to hang on to Vesey as a result, I'd keep those two together on the same line.

If we can't upgrade on 3C (Sutter), then I'd definitely try Petey-Bo-Miller-Beagle as centers and upgrade on wing, which is going to happen naturally as a result of Podkolzin and Lind joining the team next season.

Edit: Our winger depth next season is going to be pretty good but not good enough to contend just yet:

Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Vesey, Motte, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, MacEwen, Roussel.

In a season or two, we can move Lind over as 3C, at which point, we can bring Miller back as a winger. If we can add another top flight winger via UFA when the cap situation gets better (in a season or two), we should be good to contend for the cup.

Tampa is the latest cup winner and they don't really have any weakness... but one thing that does stick out is their great center depth of Stamkos-Point-Cirelli.

Its about cap 24.5 million...

Demko -- 5 million  X 5 yrs

Petey  ---7.5  X 3 yrs ?  Between 7.0 --7.6  = Barzel NYI  similar player..

Hughe -- 7 X 3 yrs ?  ? Between 6.6 - 7 million..

Let say we have 4.5-- 5  million left ??

Juolevi - 2 X 870,000   

Podkolzin - entry level 3 X 950,000

Boyd - 850, 000 X 1 yr

Vesey 850,000  X 1 yr

Gaudette  1 X 900,000  show me more

Hamonic---  Need this type of D man to play with Hughes ? No money left --- 2 yrs X 1.9 million

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1