The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

• 4 weeks later...

Just did some looking and noticed that Bo is building up a bit of an ironman streak. If I'm not mistaken, he's played in 238 straight games. He hasn't missed a game since January of 2018. Must be something with Canuck centres (Linden, Morrison, Hank).

EDIT: According to this (https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/seasons-and-games/most-consecutive-games-played-active-streak), it's actually 250 games.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Just did some looking and noticed that Bo is building up a bit of an ironman streak. If I'm not mistaken, he's played in 238 straight games. He hasn't missed a game since January of 2018. Must be something with Canuck centres (Linden, Morrison, Hank).

Who holds the current longest streak in the NHL?

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Who holds the current longest streak in the NHL?

https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/seasons-and-games/most-consecutive-games-played

Yandle seems to have the longest active streak at 926 games. If he plays every game this year, he'll be the first NHL player to play 1000 consecutive NHL games.

This site seems to indicate that Kessel is currently at 906 games. I never knew he had such a long streak going.

The next active streak on the list is Brent Burns with 603 games, but the list doesn't go below the top 28 all-time streaks.

EDIT: https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/seasons-and-games/most-consecutive-games-played-active-streak

This list shows active streaks. It says Horvat's streak is actually 250 games and is currently the 14th longest active streak.

Hilariously enough, Tanev has a streak of 131 games going right now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

So why isn’t Podkolzin playing with him?

Seems like Podz could learn a lot from him.

Podkolzin Horvat Garland 

Seems like Pearson is his defacto line mate. Maybe it’s a preference of Bo’s. If so, fair enough as Bo has more than earned the right to have his say with linemates that he feels works for him, after the carousel he’s been through. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If Horvat was on the Sedin team, he'd be a Kesler replacement ie a second line center. A solid second line center but a second line center no less.

I wish we could acquire a one way star 1st line center so that Horvat can play Kesler hockey instead.

Theoretically, the 1st line guy is Petey.

I would also say that Kesler was more of a 1B than a second line centre. 2nd line centres don't put up 70+ points unless you're on an incredible team, which we did have at the time.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Theoretically, the 1st line guy is Petey.

I would also say that Kesler was more of a 1B than a second line centre. 2nd line centres don't put up 70+ points unless you're on an incredible team, which we did have at the time.

That is true. So theoretically if Petey develops the way we want him to, he would be the top line center and Bo would be a 1B/Kesler

• Upvote 1

Horvat passes a couple of playmaking D on his way to 21st in all-time Canuck scoring.

20.  Mattias Ohlund D 770 93 232 325
21.  Bo Horvat C 513 143 178 321
22.  Jyrki Lumme D 579 83 238 321
23.  Dennis Kearns D 677 31 290 321
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:23 PM, AK_19 said:

As great as Horvat has been offensively, I'd like to see him again on the PK. I'm not sure why he isn't trusted to do so. 

Maybe he deserves another try, anything is probably better than what we have now, however, in his career, stats wise and visual wise he's always been a terrible PKer, like bottom 10% of the league bad.  It's the biggest anomaly because he is so good defensively 5 v 5, but it just doesn't transition to PK, probably because center positioning is a lot different at even strength.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Maybe he deserves another try, anything is probably better than what we have now, however, in his career, stats wise and visual wise he's always been a terrible PKer, like bottom 10% of the league bad.  It's the biggest anomaly because he is so good defensively 5 v 5, but it just doesn't transition to PK, probably because center positioning is a lot different at even strength.

For whatever reason, I've noticed that Bo is historically really had at defensive zone faceoffs and very good at offensive zone faceoffs. Maybe there's some sort of relationship?

On 11/2/2021 at 5:23 PM, AK_19 said:

As great as Horvat has been offensively, I'd like to see him again on the PK. I'm not sure why he isn't trusted to do so. 

On 11/8/2021 at 2:12 AM, -AJ- said:

For whatever reason, I've noticed that Bo is historically really had at defensive zone faceoffs and very good at offensive zone faceoffs. Maybe there's some sort of relationship?

I remember Travis Green mentioning several seasons ago trying to manage Bo's "load". I think because of the lack of offensive options on the team, Bo automatically became the best option at center to drive offensive play and because he was so busy doing that, they had to manage his minutes on the other aspects of his game. It seemed like the Canucks coaching staff didn't do a good enough job to develop this side of his game because he really isn't an adequate option on the PK at this point. Real shame considering he was used in that role in junior under Dale Hunter.

At this stage of his career, I don't really consider Bo to be a "two way center". To me, he is more of an power forward scoring center who can take faceoffs, but I think his defensive game is actually very underwhelming for someone labeled as a "two way center". He is adequate enough where he won't get cratered in his own zone, but I definitely don't feel defense is his strong suit nor do I think this team will depend on him to do that moving forward for the rest of his tenure on this team. I think because his deployment has been so heavily slanted to being an offensive contributor, his defensive instincts have sorted faded and my hypothesis why he isn't really used at all as a PK option. However, because Lammikko and Dickinson for the life of them cannot win any faceoffs, Bo is being thrown out there initially to take draws and quickly get off.

I've noticed a lot of times last season and he would cheat in the defensive zone to get offensive looks, as he would be the first forward to leave the defensive zone, which is confusing considering that he should be the last forward out as a center. 

This article: https://canucksarmy.com/2021/02/14/bo-horvats-defence-declined-past-three-seasons-getting-better/ 

Shares how his effectiveness defensively has been trending down the last few seasons. I love Bo, he is my favourite player on the team, but I also see some of the faults in his game, and he really isn't a two way center in my eyes. He is a very heavily slanted offense generating center now, but considering he has always improved his game, I don't see why he can't trend back towards what he used to be defensively.