The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Nobody talking about Sutter?  The guy is looking really good so far and appears to be coming back with a vengeance after that horrible, injury laden season last year.

He plays such a 'heavy' game and can score as well.  He's mostly a crash the net kind of player, but with that speed he really can be effective at both ends. 

Anyone think Bo has a very similar game?   They're not play-making Cs by any means, but have that power forward thingy going on.  Defensive workhorses that can score.  These are the players that win important games for a team.

Yes, I think Bo and Sutter are quite similar but that Bo has a better passing game and more power, so a higher ceiling.  Put Granlund with Sutter and Sven with Bo and their playmaking deficiencies are covered. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

I just finished watching After Hours and he was the guest. They roasted him a bit about his lifelong dream to be a trailer hitch salesman. And apparently Loui owes him 51 gaols this year to keep the #21 jersey. Sutters are pretty awesome...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hours-brandon-sutter/

Haha, did Loui specify which net?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

WADR that's absolute garbage. No metric you can put in front of me will convince me Sutter is the team's worst center.

• Upvote 2

"

22 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I read this and I couldn't believe that the Canucksarmy writer could keep trashing Sutter without doing more research:  "In all likelihood, Sutter's just been exceedingly lucky over the course of much of his career"  

Haha you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good!

Analytics can paint any kind of picture you want.  Be careful when you don't do all the research required to fully understand them.

42 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

WADR that's absolute garbage. No metric you can put in front of me will convince me Sutter is the team's worst center.

Hypothetically, what type of evidence would convince you?

For the record, I don't think he is the team's worst center either. 

Edited by baumerman77

18 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

"

I read this and I couldn't believe that the Canucksarmy writer could keep trashing Sutter without doing more research:  "In all likelihood, Sutter's just been exceedingly lucky over the course of much of his career"  

Haha you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good!

Analytics can paint any kind of picture you want.  Be careful when you don't do all the research required to fully understand them.

Ya, I thought that was a weird addition myself. He should've talked about the weak causal link between players and save percentage. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Hypothetically, what type of evidence would convince you?

For the record, I don't think he is the team's worst center either. 

I'd need to see these underlying numbers in conjunction with his "real stats" and the eye test. His real stats aren't bad, all things considered, and based on my personal eye test I think he's one of their best players period. He's not an offensive Dynamo but he's just a very well rounded hockey player. 

47 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'd need to see these underlying numbers in conjunction with his "real stats" and the eye test. His real stats aren't bad, all things considered, and based on my personal eye test I think he's one of their best players period. He's not an offensive Dynamo but he's just a very well rounded hockey player. 

Which stats are you referring to when you say "real stats"?