The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

40 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

Sutter can't be making 4.375 mill to be our 4th line centre  plus we have beagle who's 1.375 mill cheaper and better at face-offs.  Benning needs to find a good 4th line centre  in 2 yrs that's young jasek or focht maybe the answer??? possibly  but I say they will look for gems in 3rd round this yr art draft

Sutters contract ends a year sooner though.  He's also 3 years younger so maybe less chance that his game falls off.  Meh I can see the point either way.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Sutters contract ends a year sooner though.  He's also 3 years younger so maybe less chance that his game falls off.  Meh I can see the point either way.  

ya good  point but one of Beagle or Sutter will need to be gone by next yr I sure hope Benning has a plan we need to cut 20 mill in cap  eriksson retiring fingers crossed will help and maybe   getting baertchi traded as well

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya good  point but one of Beagle or Sutter will need to be gone by next yr I sure hope Benning has a plan we need to cut 20 mill in cap  eriksson retiring fingers crossed will help and maybe   getting baertchi traded as well

Yeah it's tight.  They'll need to make another decision on Edler as well.  I think Sutter might have the more tradeable contract between himself and Beagle.

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah it's tight.  They'll need to make another decision on Edler as well.  I think Sutter might have the more tradeable contract between himself and Beagle.

Both were terrible contracts that many here recognized at the time. 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

im ok with beagles contract but sutter erikson and  ferland and baertchi's are godawful

I like how beagle plays the game...   ferland was damaged goods...

The other 3  were. not the kind of players i would have been going after...

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Both were terrible contracts that many here recognized at the time. 

Sure, a lot of people didn't like the contracts at the time but now we have them.  Since we do, I would say that Sutter is probably the easier guy to trade.  You're having a different discussion than I am.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Sure, a lot of people didn't like the contracts at the time but now we have them.  Since we do, I would say that Sutter is probably the easier guy to trade.  You're having a different discussion than I am.

Canucks would need to retain salary to move Sutter... 

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Depends what you're expecting in return I think.  If you want something back then yeah probably they'd have to retain salary.  Just to move the guy to a team that could use him I think is doable.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Depends what you're expecting in return I think.  If you want something back then yeah probably they'd have to retain salary.  Just to move the guy to a team that could use him I think is doable.

I think it might depend on who's looking to acquire him. He's exactly what might be missing from some teams looking to make a deep playoff run, as that solid third line/fourth line centre with experience and leadership. That said, we'd be lucky if we could offload him for a late round pick without any retention.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think it might depend on who's looking to acquire him. He's exactly what might be missing from some teams looking to make a deep playoff run, as that solid third line/fourth line centre with experience and leadership. That said, we'd be lucky if we could offload him for a late round pick without any retention.

Yes the market rules all.  I think in the final year of a contract with a still valuable player they COULD make it work though.  Even if it wasn't before the start of next season.  Closer to the deadline a team with some injuries might not be too worries bout Sutters cap hit.  That's all I'm getting at.  

With Beagle a team might not be as eager to take on that extra year.  Especially if Beagle "gets old"

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Before coming to the Canucks Brandon Sutter played 524 out of a possible 540 games (97%) missing a combined 3 games in the five seasons before joining the Canucks. 

As a Canuck he has played  232 out of a possible 397 (58%). What is with our injury luck?

On 5/15/2020 at 8:19 PM, Baratheon said:

Yes the market rules all.  I think in the final year of a contract with a still valuable player they COULD make it work though.  Even if it wasn't before the start of next season.  Closer to the deadline a team with some injuries might not be too worries bout Sutters cap hit.  That's all I'm getting at.  

With Beagle a team might not be as eager to take on that extra year.  Especially if Beagle "gets old"

I agree, Sutter could be moved after this season is done.

1. Last year of his contract
  2. I expect the border to be closed until the new year.  So we're looking at a shortened season.
  3. If the Canucks retain salary (up to 50%)

So with salary retained on a short commitment, the Canucks could easily save a little over $2M of salary cap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Before coming to the Canucks Brandon Sutter played 524 out of a possible 540 games (97%) missing a combined 3 games in the five seasons before joining the Canucks. 

As a Canuck he has played  232 out of a possible 397 (58%). What is with our injury luck?

Being in Vancouver gives us one of the worst travel schedules in the league in terms of distance. Our guys have less time for rest and relaxation than most NHL players do, so thus less time to recover from injuries on the road and less time for things like warm-up, practice, rehab, etc. Probably doesn't explain all of it, but it's surely some of it.

Hopefully the addition of Seattle helps out travel out a bit, as those Arizona games are effectively replaced by a much closer team in Seattle.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Being in Vancouver gives us one of the worst travel schedules in the league in terms of distance. Our guys have less time for rest and relaxation than most NHL players do, so thus less time to recover from injuries on the road and less time for things like warm-up, practice, rehab, etc. Probably doesn't explain all of it, but it's surely some of it.

Hopefully the addition of Seattle helps out travel out a bit, as those Arizona games are effectively replaced by a much closer team in Seattle.

IMO it's that we've largely been poor team in his time here. Poor team with poor puck possession equals always chasing, more time in your own end, more wear and tear etc.

Add to that our worst in league travel etc that AJ noted and it's not terribly surprising.

On a good note, as the team improves, so should our puck possession which will help at least part of the situation. We likely saw some of that effect with Tanev this season after adding Hughes and Myers.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...