Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

Recommended Posts

At what point does keeping Sutter and Roussel become a negative to future development of their younger replacements? Both these players have played a major role in mentoring but keeping them longer takes TOI away from younger alternatives. The playoffs this year exposed the younger core and potential roster players to CUP play. Time now to accelerate development by giving them more TOI, larger roles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At what point does keeping Sutter and Roussel become a negative to future development of their younger replacements? Both these players have played a major role in mentoring but keeping them longer takes TOI away from younger alternatives. The playoffs this year exposed the younger core and potential roster players to CUP play. Time now to accelerate development by giving them more TOI, larger roles.  

Well we don’t really have anyone on the farm pushing for a spot.

 

MacEwan is the guy that should transition to a full time gig, and without Ferland really in the mix there is a spot for him.  Lind should be in a year of getting injury call ups next year to see how well he plays.  Hoglander can’t be counted on for next season, though I would love him to come into camp and push Pearson down to the 3rd line.

 

It is all about cap space as a reason to get rid of Sutter and Roussel.  We can get cheaper veterans if we need to bring someone back or just sign Leivo which it sounds like we will be doing.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 8:47 AM, Provost said:

t is all about cap space as a reason to get rid of Sutter and Roussel.  We can get cheaper veterans if we need to bring someone back or just sign Leivo which it sounds like we will be doing.

If I were a betting man, I think Roussel will be the one traded and Leivo will fill that position at a lesser cost. Also; Virtanin might stick around but with a flat cap and the relative value he might bring in a trade; he could be gone as well. I just don't see him as a top 6 and there are cheaper options to fill the bottom six IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the Sutters and Beagles, but I do think we're beginning to approach a time where they're less needed--not yet, but soon. Our young players got a huge amount of experience this spring and I think one more run to at least the second round and our need for older experienced leaders is greatly diminished. By then the core will be experienced enough on their own I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a big fan of the Sutters and Beagles, but I do think we're beginning to approach a time where they're less needed--not yet, but soon. Our young players got a huge amount of experience this spring and I think one more run to at least the second round and our need for older experienced leaders is greatly diminished. By then the core will be experienced enough on their own I think.

I think there is always room to have players like Sutter or Beagle, but you can't have both of them especially in crucial pieces in the bottom six.  You can have one but you likely dedicate that line to being defensive, energy based, and not much offensive production, and need more offense generated in the other line.

 

You always need experience, but in the right areas.  Our lack of bottom six offensive production caught up to us, Having basically 3 full lines dedicated to defense/containment  isn't a recipe for success.  Ultimately, Sutter and Beagle had a solid playoff performance from a defensive standpoint, but need more offense and can't have the third and fourth line purely defensive.

 

Roussel-Sutter-Gaudette

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen           That bottom six was bound to fall into an offensive blackhole, too many redundant pieces who don't have much poise with the puck.

 

Personally I'd prefer Sutter over Beagle as I think he has more capabilities to play 5v5 better and has more offensive talent, but Beagle has better skating overall and more solid in the faceoff department.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Beagle continuing the fitness culture and mentality from the Sedins is more important than you might think.

 

Sutter had his moments during these playoffs but I just don't see his salary or the type of player he is nowadays as a good fit for 3C on a winning team. So I hope he's moved but might be easier said than done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, J-P said:

I think Beagle continuing the fitness culture and mentality from the Sedins is more important than you might think.

 

Sutter had his moments during these playoffs but I just don't see his salary or the type of player he is nowadays as a good fit for 3C on a winning team. So I hope he's moved but might be easier said than done.

 

Sutter at 50% retained is a solid player that should be moveable. If we try to clear his whole salary though... things certainly get harder.

Edited by aGENT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.