The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would he do them that big a favour? 

2022 2nd or go for coffee. 

what ever happened to "Doing the player a solid"?

remember when we thought Jim would do that? 

No? me either.

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would he do them that big a favour? 

2022 2nd or go for coffee. 

Oilers should be desperate for a bottom 6 FO man with a solid % like Sutter. Not only that but a top PK’er who can pot the odd goal. Absolutely a 2nd since it will be #50-60.

11 hours ago, lmm said:

what ever happened to "Doing the player a solid"?

remember when we thought Jim would do that? 

No? me either.

you mean sending Sutter to Edmonton for free as a favour to Sutter? I mean sure why not if thats your only option but we could just keep him and try to extend him at a team friendly 1.5 to 2 mil if all we're going to get is a 4th. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Oilers should be desperate for a bottom 6 FO man with a solid % like Sutter. Not only that but a top PK’er who can pot the odd goal. Absolutely a 2nd since it will be #50-60.

my thoughts exactly. EDMs bottom 6 is actually pretty weak, you just don't notice because of the McDiver show. 

They might try for Glendenning but he isn't on Sutter's level. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Jay Beagle's career in jeopardy, would not be surprised at all if Canucks reup Sutter to provide insurance on the fourth line C. Who knows may even open a door to see Lukas Jasek on the big squad sooner rather than later, but considering how they resigned Pearson because of "good in the room" and fear of replicating losing leaders, my hunch is Sutter gets resigned too.

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:05 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Jay Beagle's career in jeopardy, would not be surprised at all if Canucks reup Sutter to provide insurance on the fourth line C. Who knows may even open a door to see Lukas Jasek on the big squad sooner rather than later, but considering how they resigned Pearson because of "good in the room" and fear of replicating losing leaders, my hunch is Sutter gets resigned too.

I'm hoping we look for options via trade etc especially guys that another team may not be able to protect in the ED. But yup, Sutter would likely be one of our better/cheaper/short term options. Anyone better than him will cost more in cap and term (duh).

Side bonus, the schadenfreude around here will be beautiful to watch :lol:

But yeah, I think we could get away with one of Jasek/Lind as C on a more sheltered (for a year or two until they get acclimated) line. Then run the Pettersson, Horvat and Sutter/'other' line against most any competition (un-sheltered).

Something like...

Un-sheltered:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser 

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin

Motte, Sutter/'other', MacEwan

Sheltered:

Hoglander, Lind/Jasek, Gaudette

It's really unfortunate that the team has cap issues.  The 3C position is crucial and they don't have a prospect anywhere near ready to fill the role.  This year's UFA has a huge crop of good Cs; even young guys (26) that could fill the role for a few years. Next year isn't very impressive.

If they can't get an upgrade on Sutts, then retaining him for next season is a good move.  He still a viable 3C.  He gets the Beagle $.

Really hoping that Jasek or Lind might claim the 4C spot.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's really unfortunate that the team has cap issues.  The 3C position is crucial and they don't have a prospect anywhere near ready to fill the role.  This year's UFA has a huge crop of good Cs; even young guys (26) that could fill the role for a few years. Next year isn't very impressive.

If they can't get an upgrade on Sutts, then retaining him for next season is a good move.  He still a viable 3C.  He gets the Beagle $.

Really hoping that Jasek or Lind might claim the 4C spot.

I think people really need to wait and see what happens at the ED, buyouts trades etc this summer before declaring the bolded.

For example...We trade/package Virtanen out, buyout Eriksson (almost guaranteed IMO) Beagle is on LTIR, and Myers gets selected in the ED and our much feared 'cap issues' are non-existent.

As for the rest, totally agree. I'd love to upgrade Sutter but any of those better guys are also going to cost more term and cap... Another option may be trade (particularly with the ED creating a pressure point for other teams).

But otherwise, Sutter is certainly a viable option to retain as I posted above. And then yes, you hope one of Lind/Jasek can out compete say Graovac or similar for that 4C spot. 

Assuming Myers does get selected, re-up Hamonic and Edler for a 1-2 years at $3-$4m each +/-, bring Tryamkin back and you get something like:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser 

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin

Motte, Sutter/'other', MacEwan

Hoglander, Lind/Jasek/Graovac, Gaudette

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Rathbone, Chatfield

Demko, Holtby

If the Beagle injury is as severe as rumoured, and he’s facing LTIR next season (and possibly even retirement), then I think we probably should look to bring Sutter back.

Hopefully on a contract a lot closer to his actual value. Something short term (1-2 years), and <$2M/season. 

The past two seasons, he’s been a 14-15 minutes per game, bottom-six player, and that’s on the roster of what’s really been a middling to poor team in Vancouver. So, he should not be able to command anything close to the type of salary, term, or trade protections he’s enjoyed in the past.

If he’s not willing to re-sign for something appropriate, I’d just let him walk (maybe try to trade his rights, of course, but that’s highly unlikely to create much interest), and look at offseason FA options, or possibly using system depth and going with a young bottom-six to start the season, and then hoping a young centreman reveals himself as a legitimate longterm option, or otherwise look to acquire an outside 3C via waivers or trades mid-season/TDL.

What I definitely don’t want is Sutter re-signed at $3-4M with term and NTC.

But on a cheap and short deal, he’s still a serviceable option for a temporary 3C, while we look to work our way out of the current cap issues, eventually have enough money to target quality upgrades for the roster (like that 3C spot), hopefully transition some of our developing young players into lineup regulars, move any declining vets out, and built toward contention (hopefully) in a year or two (or three or four).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind Sutter as a players but his salary has to be in line with hsi contribution PLUS he's starting to show his age and his predisposition to injuries. He's showing his age and the funny thing about age it only gets worse

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the Beagle injury is as severe as rumoured, and he’s facing LTIR next season (and possibly even retirement), then I think we probably should look to bring Sutter back.

Hopefully on a contract a lot closer to his actual value. Something short term (1-2 years), and <$2M/season. 

The past two seasons, he’s been a 14-15 minutes per game, bottom-six player, and that’s on the roster of what’s really been a middling to poor team in Vancouver. So, he should not be able to command anything close to the type of salary, term, or trade protections he’s enjoyed in the past.

If he’s not willing to re-sign for something appropriate, I’d just let him walk (maybe try to trade his rights, of course, but that’s highly unlikely to create much interest), and look at offseason FA options, or possibly using system depth and going with a young bottom-six to start the season, and then hoping a young centreman reveals himself as a legitimate longterm option, or otherwise look to acquire an outside 3C via waivers or trades mid-season/TDL.

What I definitely don’t want is Sutter re-signed at $3-4M with term and NTC.

But on a cheap and short deal, he’s still a serviceable option for a temporary 3C, while we look to work our way out of the current cap issues, eventually have enough money to target quality upgrades for the roster (like that 3C spot), hopefully transition some of our developing young players into lineup regulars, move any declining vets out, and built toward contention (hopefully) in a year or two (or three or four).

toronto maple leafs hello GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he should opt out, much more important things in his life.

When does he have to make the decision? 

with a pregnant wife and small children, 

maybe he should rent a hotel room, play hockey and stay away from his family

sucks for all of them either way

I hope he gets better sooner than later

Edited by lmm

3 hours ago, lmm said:

with a pregnant wife and small children, 

maybe he should rent a hotel room, play hockey and stay away from his family

sucks for all of them either way

I hope he gets better sooner than later

Absolutely not.

Since they got it from him already, there isn't much reason in being separated at this point.

And really, once he DOES return, it does nobody any good to make what's been a very difficult situation even worse by limiting access to family. He will require the support for what is going to be a brutal finish.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Absolutely not.

Since they got it from him already, there isn't much reason in being separated at this point.

And really, once he DOES return, it does nobody any good to make what's been a very difficult situation even worse by limiting access to family. He will require the support for what is going to be a brutal finish.

I did not realize his family got it also

that really sucks

15 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

:(

My grandma is just recovering from it, and she spread it to some of our family including my dad. This new strain is so much more transmissible. Grandma was delirious looking for her baby for 4 days before she come around...it was tough to watch from afar.

all the best to the Sutter family 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Huggy Bear 2