The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Sutter back - good player when he's healthy - the problem being that he rarely has been, and the shoulder injury he sustained did not look promising...

A decent group of pending UFA centers though, if they do go to the market....

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

So who would be our top 3 out of those choices? I don't know a ton about other teams, I remember liking Bonino though.

4 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

So who would be our top 3 out of those choices? I don't know a ton about other teams, I remember liking Bonino though.

I guess it depends on the type of 3rd line they want to run with.

I personally think the top 6 is still pretty young for the most part - so I would not be opposed to 3rd line that leans more toward shutdown than secondary scoring. 

I also think the blueline is young / likely to have a young defenseman on at least two of the pairings....so again, I might lean towards a 'hard to play against' option.

I suppose it also depends on how much cap they want to assign there.

And how much speed and grit they want there.  I'd also want a solid faceoff guy...

I like Cizikas (might be a bit surprised if he's not re-signed, but it is an e.d. year).

Haula is a good option - good speed, good faceoff guy.

I've always like Bones - very crafty two way center.

Coleman hasn't really played much center in the past year or two, and not a great faceoff guy so perhaps he doesn't really belong on that list.

The older guys there could be good (enough) placeholders.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Regardless of who it is, we need to resign another center because I doubt Beagle is playing again and Boyd/Highmore are not solutions - they don't play on any playoff team.

Perrault is interesting but a bit shakey defensively, although can score some timely goals.

Cizikas is a nice option but I'm sure NYI will resign him cheaply.

Haula is going to be costly, he has basically been a 2nd line center the last little while.

Bozak is 35 now and still had a decent season last year so not the worst idea, just worried about his longevity.

Coleman would obviously be perfect as our 3rd line center, drop Dickinson to 4C but he might be too expensive for this team. Not sure how Tampa will bring him back. I'd pay 3m x 3yrs for him though for sure.

Then there's Sutter himself. He's not scoring much anymore (although 9 goals last season, just about 17 goal pace), is getting a bit softer but still has gritty moments and still is great on the PK. If we can get him really cheap and just play defence/4C duties and let Dickinson play 3C then I'd do it. 1.5M for a year or two?

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Regardless of who it is, we need to resign another center because I doubt Beagle is playing again and Boyd/Highmore are not solutions - they don't play on any playoff team.

Perrault is interesting but a bit shakey defensively, although can score some timely goals.

Haula is going to be costly, he has basically been a 2nd line center the last little while.

Bozak is 35 now and still had a decent season last year so not the worst idea, just worried about his longevity.

Coleman would obviously be perfect as our 3rd line center, drop Dickinson to 4C but he might be too expensive for this team. Not sure how Tampa will bring him back. I'd pay 3m x 3yrs for him though for sure.

Then there's Sutter himself. He's not scoring much anymore (although 9 goals last season, just about 17 goal pace), is getting a bit softer but still has gritty moments and still is great on the PK. If we can get him really cheap and just play defence/4C duties and let Dickinson play 3C then I'd do it. 1.5M for a year or two?

More into keeping Sutter over Rous and Beagle. No long term deal and no trade protection. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, captainhorvat said:

Brandon “soft as butter” surprised he hasn’t done a Becel commercial…

paula deen butter GIF

One of the league iron men before joining the Canucks.  Unfortunately for us this changed. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd prefer Sutter to Beagle, but rumours seem to be suggesting that Sutter's leaving to the free agent market.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't mind trying MacEwen as the 4th line center if Beagle isn't ready to start the season.

I can't find any stats on his face-off experience in the AHL, but in the NHL, he's 5 for 11 for 45.5% in the dot. If he's decent at centre it could be a great option.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can't find any stats on his face-off experience in the AHL, but in the NHL, he's 5 for 11 for 45.5% in the dot. If he's decent at centre it could be a great option.

I looked too and couldn't find anything either.  He's listed as a C according to hockeydb, so it's not a new position for him.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I looked too and couldn't find anything either.  He's listed as a C according to hockeydb, so it's not a new position for him.

Yeah, I think he played C for Utica on their top 6, but I could be wrong.

On 7/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, oldnews said:

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Sutter back - good player when he's healthy - the problem being that he rarely has been, and the shoulder injury he sustained did not look promising...

Cizikas

Bonino

Coleman

Haula

Stastny

Staal

Bozak

Perrault

Also wonder if Alex Wennberg could be pulled to Vancouver. He had his most successful seasons playing C while Brad Shaw (and Ian Clark, too) was his assistant coach. Him and Miller could both be interchangeable between the top-6 & 3C roles. He could also drive the 2nd PP unit.

Would love to see Coleman here though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

MacEwen was being groomed as a Center before his Canucks call-up.  AHL don't keep face-off stats,  but the Comets' broadcast team did keep informal stats and would often give them out towards the end of a game, but nothing published.  As an example, I remember in one of this season's early games after 2 periods they said that Kole Lind was 7 for 9 in the face off circle, when he too was being groomed as a center.

Edited by Googlie

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Also wonder if Alex Wennberg could be pulled to Vancouver. He had his most successful seasons playing C while Brad Shaw (and Ian Clark, too) was his assistant coach. Him and Miller could both be interchangeable between the top-6 & 3C roles. He could also drive the 2nd PP unit.

Would love to see Coleman here though.

yes to coleman and yes to wennberg. i don't care if they cost nearly 5m with all our young rookies we can afford it (if the price is right)

• Upvote 1