The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s an interview with Sutter on Sportsnet. Sounds like he’s getting a little  better but has had continued setbacks. I feel so bad for the guy. I swear he sounded winded just doing the interview. As much as we made fun of Benning’s “foundational” comments, Sutter would still be a useful player on this team next year. 

20 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

There’s an interview with Sutter on Sportsnet. Sounds like he’s getting a little  better but has had continued setbacks. I feel so bad for the guy. I swear he sounded winded just doing the interview. As much as we made fun of Benning’s “foundational” comments, Sutter would still be a useful player on this team next year. 

I feel for the guy too. But we really need players on the league minimum

31 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I feel for the guy too. But we really need players on the league minimum

Sutter was really cheap this year at just $1.5M. Easily worth that money if he could play.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sutter was really cheap this year at just $1.5M. Easily worth that money if he could play.

That equal two players on league minimum. I like what he bring's including experience but it looks like his time will move to managemnt or scouting if he wishes to remain in hockey, who knows maybe ranching. There's no assurance he'll even be fully healthy for September

Edited by Fred65

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That equal two players on league minimum. I like what he bring's including experience but it looks like his time will move to managemnt or scouting if he wishes to remain in hockey, who knows maybe ranching. There's no assurance he'll even be fully healthy for September

Actually it was even better. He was being paid 1.125 M. Pretty close to league minimum and basically no cap hit risk if we buried him in the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Brandon Sutter's long-COVID-19 has taken an emotional and physical toll:

The Vancouver Canucks centre signed a one-year contract last summer and was supposed to be the team's fourth-line centre in 2021-22.

Vancouver Canucks centre Brandon Sutter hasn’t suited-up for a game all season because of long-haul COVID-19 symptoms.

On Tuesday, in an interview with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the personable centre spoke publicly for the first time about his difficult battle with long-COVID.

“It’s definitely been a struggle of a winter for sure,” Sutter said, his emotions evident just below the surface.

Though his symptoms have taken him over and through physical and emotional peaks and valleys, he’s feeling optimistic again.

“(I’m) just starting to see and work with the right people and doing all we can to try to figure it out.”

Like most of his 2020-21 Canucks teammates, Sutter came down with COVID just over a year ago. The Canucks’ outbreak came before COVID vaccines were widely available in Canada, so his infection came full-force.

But he appeared to recover, just like his teammates did, and was able to suit-up and finish out the season.

The storyline changed for him over the summer. Over August, strange symptoms started to appear. Heightened heart rate, difficulty catching his breath.

“Like someone was sitting on my chest,” he relayed at one point during a press-box chat.

He had stopped working out in early September, with the advice that rest was likely to be the best cure.

It became clear that he was dealing with long-COVID symptoms. The American Medical Association estimates that anywhere between 10 and 30 per cent of people who contract COVID may experience such symptoms at some time after they have recovered from their initial infection.

At one point in the fall, symptoms were making daily life a struggle. But by December, his symptoms had begun to subside. He started appearing at games, just to watch his team, who he hoped he would be able to rejoin.

By January, he was resuming light workouts. In March, he began skating with injured teammates.

But as Sutter revealed to Murphy on Tuesday, he hasn’t skated since early April.

“Thought I was getting better after Christmas and started training again, started skating again and was kind of optimistic about returning at some point this season. When I started skating more and ramping-up my training to the level you’ve got to be as an athlete in this league, I just kind of went backwards a little bit.”

For the time being, Sutter is just hanging out, but hopeful for a return.

“Doing all we can to try to correct it. And it’s just been dealing with immune system stuff … It’s not a lot of fun and we’re trying to … figure it out, but it’s a grind,” Sutter said.

“You’re just waiting for answers. You break a bone, you have a broken leg or knee problem or shoulder or something, you go, ‘OK, we’ve got six weeks, we got eight weeks, we got 10 weeks and we’re back to normal.’ This has been dragging on but we’re getting there and hopefully soon we’ll get back at it.”

Thankfully his family is healthy. He and his wife Giselle welcomed a baby daughter last summer, their third child.

“At least you go home to your family and I’ve been able to be around our baby girl and our other two kids the whole time, so it’s been a bit of a blessing,” Sutter said.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-brandon-sutters-long-covid-has-taken-an-emotional-and-physical-toll

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Love Brandon Sutter but at 33 there isn't a place for him on this team anymore. 

Why would age be a determining factor in whether there is a spot for a bottom six vet making 1.25 a year??? 

Sutter’s ability to win face offs and kill penalties definitely would be useful. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Love Brandon Sutter but at 33 there isn't a place for him on this team anymore. 

Father time & COVID did him in.  Happens to all athletes eventually (re: Father time part).  No shame in that.  He had a bit of a rough start (one can excuse that as he was playing for a new team/coach/system, etc.) but played quite well for the role he was given (defensive center).  Injuries just caught up with him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's not certain, but with Sutter's contract running out as of a few days ago and Lazar taking his #20, I'm guessing he won't likely be re-signed and his career is probably over. Might get a PTO somewhere though.

• 2 weeks later...

I really feel for Sutter. As someone who’s lived with a debilitating post-viral syndrome, I can truly relate to where he’s at right now with his health. Reading about his off-label use of some very questionable medications (like continuing to take Ivermectin as a “supplement”) , and his regular IV infusions of what sounds like one of those rather dodgy cocktails that get pushed by “integrative medicine” types, definitely takes me back. I went through a similar phase where I just threw a ton of money and time away on a bunch of exotic and untested medicines and treatments/procedures. It’s very easy to get sucked in by the alternative health industry when you’re suffering from an ailment that doesn’t seem to have a conventional cure or treatment, and you’re so desperate to recover your health, or even just to feel like you’re “doing something” to fight back against the illness and try to get better. You’re open to trying just about anything and, unfortunately, there are so many “healers” out there who will just see dollar signs. Sutter’s current situation really reminds me of my own experiences while navigating the early days of coping with a chronic illness. :( 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I really feel for Sutter. As someone who’s lived with a debilitating post-viral syndrome, I can truly relate to where he’s at right now with his health. Reading about his off-label use of some very questionable medications (like continuing to take Ivermectin as a “supplement”) , and his regular IV infusions of what sounds like one of those rather dodgy cocktails that get pushed by “integrative medicine” types, definitely takes me back. I went through a similar phase where I just threw a ton of money and time away on a bunch of exotic and untested medicines and treatments/procedures. It’s very easy to get sucked in by the alternative health industry when you’re suffering from an ailment that doesn’t seem to have a conventional cure or treatment, and you’re so desperate to recover your health, or even just to feel like you’re “doing something” to fight back against the illness and try to get better. You’re open to trying just about anything and, unfortunately, there are so many “healers” out there who will just see dollar signs. Sutter’s current situation really reminds me of my own experiences while navigating the early days of coping with a chronic illness. :( 

Truly sad to see. Here is a guy, that while under contract, had access to some top notch doctors; who could refer him to some of the top doctors in the covid field.

Yet some how is trying 'off the book' treatment.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:31 PM, Bell said:

That truly sucks for Brandon.  I hope he can gain back his health and find an NHL home somewhere.  What a terrible way to possibly end the guy's career.  Get well Brandon.

He's an NHL coach-in-waiting.  When he's ready, Canucks could do a lot worse than hiring him as a PP/PK Assistant Coach

• Upvote 1

A very good friend of ours is also a "long hauler". She got Covid after returning from Mexico, shortly after started getting symptoms, which have remained for close to three months. Top it all off, she's a breast cancer survivor, which has probably lead to her current condition. It was real folks, regardless of what a those conspiracy theorists were trying to peddle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2