The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

Sutter passes the immortal Garry Valk on his way into 123rd in Canuck scoring.  "Hey Garry, I think you dropped your snickerdoodle!"

122.  Dixon Ward LW 103 28 31 59
123.  Brandon Sutter C 142 27 32 59
124.  Garry Valk LW 172 24 35 59
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Part of me is torn and would love to see Sutter play fewer 5v5 mins so he is far more fresher on the PK, but besides Horvat, he is the only centre that I trust to be out on the ice.  Love what he is doing, but if he is averaging 2+ mins on the PK, that means he is averaging around 15+ mins 5v5.  Considering that he is playing with guys like Archibald and Motte, those are a lot of allotted mins to players that aren't offensively as skilled.

Speaks to a larger degree of the lack of quality depth up front to supplant Sutter's line.   I know they play the heavy shutdown/checking line mins, but man that is a lot of time given to players that don't stir the pot offensively very often, and spent defending rather than attacking. Sutter's corsi is 42.1 as Archibald, Motte, and even his other linemates are below him, thus reflecting how they constantly are on the defensive side of things.

Sutsy needs some help to ahelter thr load because no other centre can handle the same defensive responsibilities.  Bo is better as an offensive centre than being a defensive centre, and Hank/Gagner just don't have the ability to keep up in their own zone.  I can see why thr Canucks brass were rumored to be interested in Mikael Backlund who plays an identical role in Calgary.

Its a great thing to recognize the significance of Brandon Sutter and I love what he is doing for the team, but really creates a larger magnification that we lack high end quality players and Sutter needs help.  Makes the development of Adam Gaudette all the more important.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Part of me is torn and would love to see Sutter play fewer 5v5 mins so he is far more fresher on the PK, but besides Horvat, he is the only centre that I trust to be out on the ice.  Love what he is doing, but if he is averaging 2+ mins on the PK, that means he is averaging around 15+ mins 5v5.  Considering that he is playing with guys like Archibald and Motte, those are a lot of allotted mins to players that aren't offensively as skilled.

Speaks to a larger degree of the lack of quality depth up front to supplant Sutter's line.   I know they play the heavy shutdown/checking line mins, but man that is a lot of time given to players that don't stir the pot offensively very often, and spent defending rather than attacking. Sutter's corsi is 42.1 as Archibald, Motte, and even his other linemates are below him, thus reflecting how they constantly are on the defensive side of things.

Sutsy needs some help to ahelter thr load because no other centre can handle the same defensive responsibilities.  Bo is better as an offensive centre than being a defensive centre, and Hank/Gagner just don't have the ability to keep up in their own zone.  I can see why thr Canucks brass were rumored to be interested in Mikael Backlund who plays an identical role in Calgary.

Its a great thing to recognize the significance of Brandon Sutter and I love what he is doing for the team, but really creates a larger magnification that we lack high end quality players and Sutter needs help.  Makes the development of Adam Gaudette all the more important.

Another reason I have trouble seeing the twins back next year. You need a couple of lines you can trust in 2 way/defensive situations. With the kids we have coming, and the sheltering they will likely need, having to shelter the Sedin line as well doesn't make a lot of sense in that regard. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there was a brief window of appreciation when we were missing both him an Bo but that evaporated. Its a bit classic, people get pissed wanting him to be something he's not instead of appreciating what he does well.

Yes. He was brought in to fill the high end right hand face off void left when Kesler got dealt. He is top notch in accomplishing that. We also needed a defensive minded centre because we can not heap the entire load on a youngster like Bo. Sutter has accomplished that in spades. He was also brought in as insursnce for an aging centre in Hank. Love Hank but defensivley Hank is only usefull in taking the draws on his strong side. An underrated trade by JB and with the extension has helped Bo develop at a reasonable pace. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Sutter is an underappreciated player on this team. Its not all about scoring.

That is why though he gets paid what he is - offensive ability (which he has in terms of goal scoring ability) - carries a premium in this league over defense largely (at least in the eyes of GMs).

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Sutter is an underappreciated player on this team. Its not all about scoring.

This is why I'm still a big fan of Eriksson and Granlund. Their defensive play is excellent, and I think we're really hurting without them. 

Edited by Cramarossa
  • Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sounds like the definition of a foundational player.

I like sutter but come on, that sounds like a lot of variables in order to make up a sum. 

We might as well say that Markstrom is the only swedish goalie born on jan 31, in 1990 to start in 45 + games this year,

Here's an interesting note. Ryan o'reilly has won over a 1000 draws in the last 3 years and is over 73% .

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I like sutter but come on, that sounds like a lot of variables in order to make up a sum. 

We might as well say that Markstrom is the only swedish goalie born on jan 31, in 1990 to start in 45 + games this year,

Here's an interesting note. Ryan o'reilly has won over a 1000 draws in the last 3 years and is over 73% .

Do you own a sense of humour?   Do you remember that being used as a term?

It was a joke - try it sometime.   It can make you enjoy things!

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My post wasn't in response to what you said, it was to what you quoted..  

Do you always think people are out to get you?  

I don't ever think that actually.   Ever.

If you were interesting in what was quoted, why didn't you address that source versus commenting on my post?    I cannot guess what is in your humourless mind.   

Cheers

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you're misreading the stat. Rather than placing many restrictions on a single stat, I think it's emphasizing all of the things that Sutter does defensively. Think of it as a list. He:

1) Plays more than 17 minutes a game

2) Plays more than 2 PK mins a game

3) He has more than a 75% defensive zone start percentage

Not necessarily saying anything about how good he is, it's just saying that he plays a fair bit of minutes and is heavily used for defense. How you interpret things beyond that is up to you.

• Cheers 1