The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey | #7 | RW

-SN-

On 6/19/2016 at 0:22 AM, DeNiro said:

I think he floated that idea out there.

It might be the best thing for him right now. Have him go play in the Swedish league for Modo or in Zurich with the Lions.

He's not making it in the NHL as a bottom 6 player, so he better refine his skill if he has any hope. Not sure the AHL will do him any good anymore.

I was going to say something similar. Playing in Europe might provide a fresh start from both a personal and professional point of view.

On the Canucks, obviously Vey is behind Henrik, Horvat and Sutter on the depth chart, and the Canucks have him behind Granlund and Gaunce as well. And with the Canucks expected to draft Dubois, it is hard to see how Vey fits in at centre over the next couple of years. And with Benning wanting to sign one or two UFA wingers and leaning toward keeping Burrows there is not much room on the wing either.

He has improved his defensive play but is still not good enough defensively to play 3C on a good team, and lacks the size, strength, physicality, and intensity that you want at 4C. And, although he is a good skater, he is not fast enough to really contribute to the speed game. He has good offensive skills, but not good enough to make the top 6. And he is about to turn 25 -- by which time forwards are usually very close to their peak performance. So it is not like the Canucks can expect much more (if any) age-related improvement.

So it is no surprise that he is not being qualified.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think Vey is grossly underrated by most Canucks fans. He has good hockey IQ and is one of those players who facilitates team mates to play better around him. I don't think we have seen the best of Vey yet.

I agree. Vey has been crapped on so much, that he's starting to become underrated around here.  I think his best is still yet to come.  However, I just don't see a spot for him in the lineup.  Our center spots are full (Henrik, Sutter, Horvat, Granlund) and I am not sure if he's suited for a bottom six winger role.

Vey's strength was supposed to be offence, but he hes shown no offensive ability even though given lots of power play time. He is terrible on defence, can't win a faceoff, can't kill penalties, my great aunt Bertha could push him off the puck, He is not a NHL player. There is no way Benning should have given up a 2nd for him. He would never be a player that would fit in with the Kings. I wish him the best with his family situation, and with his career, just not with the Canucks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Reiterated by the Heat (Flames farm team) play-by-play guy:

I was actually really becoming a fan of Linden with his play in Stockton. He was second in team scoring, and actually pretty dominant. Shockingly he was one of the faster guys on the ice at many of the games I went to. I wish him well. 

7 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Reiterated by the Heat (Flames farm team) play-by-play guy:

I was actually really becoming a fan of Linden with his play in Stockton. He was second in team scoring, and actually pretty dominant. Shockingly he was one of the faster guys on the ice at many of the games I went to. I wish him well. 

Vey sure came across as a super nice young guy, who you want to do well.  The big ice, lesser talent, and lack of fitness in the KHL should allow Vey to display his skill and do well.  

• 3 months later...

Happy to see Vey is having a great start in the KHL.

Currently sits 2nd overall in leaguewide scoring with 13 points (2G 11A) in 8 GP. Vey's 11 helpers are also tops in the league.

Also interesting to see another former Canuck in Sergei Shirokov sitting 3rd in KHL scoring with 11 points (8G 3A) in 8 GP. Shirokov's 8 goals is also 2nd most in the league. He also has the best +/- in he KHL at +8.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

Just going to leave this little trip down memory lane here for everyone: KHL League Scoring leaders

Channeling my inner Borat: #1 scorer in all of Kazakhstan

image.png.700acc6ad0e45391621703e8a05e8063.png

Good to see Shirokov is still enjoying success in the KHL. I remember when people on here had him dubbed as the next Pavel Bure. Boy were they wrong.

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

Just going to leave this little trip down memory lane here for everyone: KHL League Scoring leaders

Channeling my inner Borat: #1 scorer in all of Kazakhstan

image.png.700acc6ad0e45391621703e8a05e8063.png

Despite all the hate Vey got/gets (and Benning as well for trading a pick for him), he's a half decent hockey player who was going through a hell of an f'd up family situation while he was here. It wasn't the throw away of a pick some here make it out to be.