The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

Stuck with him at this point, I guess. Keep waiting for him to flash back to that 2010-2011 form. But, it's clear by now he's no Victor Hedman. Needs to be paired with an upgrade from Tanev, though, in order to be considered a true #1 defenceman. 

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

Stuck with him at this point, I guess. Keep waiting for him to flash back to that 2010-2011 form. But, it's clear by now he's no Victor Hedman. Needs to be paired with an upgrade from Tanev, though, in order to be considered a true #1 defenceman. 

I think this is the time to shop him around.  He's 30, and holds more value now then he will in the future.  Especially if we are to keep Hamhuis. 

I like Edler but it's clear he's not the same player as his mid 20s

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, mpt said:

I think this is the time to shop him around.  He's 30, and holds more value now then he will in the future.  Especially if we are to keep Hamhuis. 

Shop all you want, but, with his NTC his value is less than you think and he doesn't want to leave anyway. How many GM's do you think are queuing up to acquire a guy who's still mentioned in the same paragraph with the word "potential" at age 30?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Shop all you want, but, with his NTC his value is less than you think and he doesn't want to leave anyway. How many GM's do you think are queuing up to acquire a guy who's still mentioned in the same paragraph with the word "potential" at age 30?

Detroit always seems to be interested.  Also Mantha seems to be a little on the outs, I bet a deal could be worked around those 2 pieces

5 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

When was this?

Last year I believe, he said something like, he doesn't want to leave but if the team doesn't want me, then why would he want to stay.   Since I never had the conversation with management means that they want me

5 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Hoping he can be better with Gudbranson here to eat minutes.

Exactly this. With Gudbranson on the team, we can put out two big pairings (Edler-Tanev, Hutton-Gudbranson) to take some of the heavy lifting off Edler's legs. I just hope he can play a full season injury free.

I'm excited to see Edler have a bounce back year with some more supporting pieces in place. When he has to supply the physicality, the PP shot, the puck moving, the PK defence and the leadership it's easy to see how he can be overwhelmed. It's like having a deeper batting order in a baseball lineup, the more protection you get the better the pitches you're going to see. Maybe with other players taking some of the load off he'll have some matchups that he can take advantage of. 

I really hope Edler can return to previous form.  I totally agree that he was expected to do too many things, and he just doesn't have the ability to multitask in that manner.  Being paired with Tanev helped him be able to think more offensive-mindedly, but he was still expected to dish out the big hits and even those two things combined was a struggle. 

Now he can focus on just putting up points and trying to play a sound game.

• Upvote 1

On May 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Shift-4 said:

Hoping he can be better with Gudbranson here to eat minutes.

Totally agree I'm very interested to see how much this will help Edler.  Not playing above your abilities can do huge things for your play and confidence.  

On May 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM, mpt said:

Or we could keep him and roll with the best top 4 we've had since 2011. 

He's a great player for a 3rd rounder. His inconsistency worries me. One minute he destroys other players, holds the blue line with authority and makes great shots. Next minute he can't even get out of zone without coughing up the puck. Tanev has usually had to bail him out. If it's a deal that makes sense and he's willing to be traded I'm sure Jim is entertaining all realistic offers.

We finally have a couple D men to play with edler and people want to trade him????Edler is still above average d man in the league ,he can HIT,Shoot and check which is what all teams want in a D man.When Edler has the right partner he is one of the best and think we finally have one or two that can play with him besides Tanev!If we get a great deal at the draft or before I would trade him if he would say yes but not for a second unless it is a big deal and we get a scorer plus a pick!

Edler is the one I'd like to see dealt at or before the draft. I think it's time for him to get a change of scenery. He's too unpredictable as to what kind of season he's going to have. One year he'll have a good season the next a bad.

There are two positions where consistency are most important; goaltending and defense. I'd much rather see JB re-sign Hammer, knowing that he's getting a, consistent, dependable defender who won't make many mistakes and can play in all situations. He looks, on paper at least, to fit the type of defense JB is trying to build, better than Edler.

It would be nice to see Edler's contract off the books. Perhaps teams like Washington, Philadelphia, either New York Team or Detroit would like to add him.

19 hours ago, Kraken70 said:

Edler is the one I'd like to see dealt at or before the draft. I think it's time for him to get a change of scenery. He's too unpredictable as to what kind of season he's going to have. One year he'll have a good season the next a bad.

There are two positions where consistency are most important; goaltending and defense. I'd much rather see JB re-sign Hammer, knowing that he's getting a, consistent, dependable defender who won't make many mistakes and can play in all situations. He looks, on paper at least, to fit the type of defense JB is trying to build, better than Edler.

It would be nice to see Edler's contract off the books. Perhaps teams like Washington, Philadelphia, either New York Team or Detroit would like to add him.

I agree. He needs to go somewhere protected as we have seen he can't handle being the number one. Perhaps would be better suited as a #3-4 on depth.