The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

7 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I agree. He needs to go somewhere protected as we have seen he can't handle being the number one. Perhaps would be better suited as a #3-4 on depth.

He's a perfect fit in Detroit.  What would we get for him?  Is he worth a first? 

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I agree. He needs to go somewhere protected as we have seen he can't handle being the number one. Perhaps would be better suited as a #3-4 on depth.

I could see an opportunity here with Detroit. They want Datsyuk off their books. Edler for Datsyuk's contract and their 1st rounder. I don't know what would make it a fair trade for both sides, but it could be worth looking at. I want to see JB try to jump into the 16-20 spot to pick up Logan Stanley. 

1 hour ago, Kraken70 said:

I could see an opportunity here with Detroit. They want Datsyuk off their books. Edler for Datsyuk's contract and their 1st rounder. I don't know what would make it a fair trade for both sides, but it could be worth looking at. I want to see JB try to jump into the 16-20 spot to pick up Logan Stanley. 

Detroit would have to add significantly.  We could resign Hammer to soften the blow, but Edler would garner a mid first and possibly a prospect on his own.

great contract and in a 2-3 role with a Offensive RHD partner, he would be lights out. 

I honestly thought Ottawa was going to make a move for him, then they got P-goof...  Edler paired with Karlson would be fantastic for the Sens

I don't think Edler is going to be moved this year. Adding Gudbranson to the line up gives us better balance on defence and Gudbranson can take some of the heavy minutes, putting Edler in a better situation. 

The only move I would like I see is Moving out Sbisa and retaining Hamhuis to guide Trymakins development.  A third pairing of Hamhuis and Trymakin would be really positive. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Detroit would have to add significantly.  We could resign Hammer to soften the blow, but Edler would garner a mid first and possibly a prospect on his own.

great contract and in a 2-3 role with a Offensive RHD partner, he would be lights out. 

I honestly thought Ottawa was going to make a move for him, then they got P-goof...  Edler paired with Karlson would be fantastic for the Sens

I don't think it's his d partner that's the problem. He makes bad defensive decisions. His age is also becoming a factor and would, IMO, be a key point in any negotiations. An argument could be made, that at his salary, he is not living up to expectations. 

And here's another crazy idea. What if JB and crew make a real effort to get Datsyuk to come back for the last year of his contract and succeed? Wouldn't that be something? 

5 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Personally I would like to see him go east and especially not in the same division.

The Oilers would hang up.  I hate them, but Draisatl has a VERY high ceiling.  I could see them parting with RNH for Edler.  

even better

To ARIZ

Edler

sbisa

5th

To VAN

7th

strome

fischer

now thats a rebuild

clears a ton of cap and arizona needs dollars to reach the floor plus they only have 3 d men signed for next yr

loads of cap space to sing gaglioski or whatever his name is.

Edited by Canucks Curse

This thread is hilarious.

All you guys bending over backwards to point out A: how valuable he is. B: how well he would do for other teams. 

The fact seems to have escaped many of you how this team's D sucked after Edler went down injured. We need Edler a hell of a lot more than other teams do, we are still not sure we can make the playoffs even with Guddy and yet we are offloading our best and most physical D.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

This thread is hilarious.

All you guys bending over backwards to point out A: how valuable he is. B: how well he would do for other teams. 

The fact seems to have escaped many of you how this team's D sucked after Edler went down injured. We need Edler a hell of a lot more than other teams do, we are still not sure we can make the playoffs even with Guddy and yet we are offloading our best and most physical D.

I want to to rebuild but if you want to "re tool" you trade assets and try to replace them via UFA.You really only have to do it for one year to get a retool. Watch:

Trade Edler to Arizona 

Edler 5th, Sbisa for strome, 7th, fischer

draft one of the 3 d men and now you have - a future 1C, a future no 2-3 d man and another top 6 forward. 

then, looking at our prospect pool, that gives us

- a future 1G - Demko

-a future 1C - strome

a future 2C - Horvat

a winger group of Boeser, virtanen, fischer, Beartschi, Gaunce, Etem

no real future 1D - which is all we are missing now

- d crops of future:

Hutton - a no 2 D

Tanev - a no 2D

Gubranson - a 3/4 D

-Tryamkin - who knows - anywhere from 1-6

other d prospects with promise including

- whoever we draft at 7

-Brisebois

-Subban

-Olson

then sign some UFAs to stay competitive - re sign Hammer and try our best to add one more D like Yandle r Goglioski and a winger or two like Ericsson, Ladd etc - with this one trade we alter our future and get a ton of cap space.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

I want to to rebuild but if you want to "re tool" you trade assets and try to replace them via UFA.You really only have to do it for one year to get a retool. Watch:

Trade Edler to Arizona 

Edler 5th, Sbisa for strome, 7th, fischer

draft one of the 3 d men and now you have - a future 1C, a future no 2-3 d man and another top 6 forward. 

then, looking at our prospect pool, that gives us

- a future 1G - Demko

-a future 1C - strome

a future 2C - Horvat

a winger group of Boeser, virtanen, fischer, Beartschi, Gaunce, Etem

no real future 1D - which is all we are missing now

- d crops of future:

Hutton - a no 2 D

Tanev - a no 2D

Gubranson - a 3/4 D

-Tryamkin - who knows - anywhere from 1-6

other d prospects with promise including

- whoever we draft at 7

-Brisebois

-Subban

-Olson

then sign some UFAs to stay competitive - re sign Hammer and try our best to add one more D like Yandle r Goglioski and a winger or two like Ericsson, Ladd etc - with this one trade we alter our future and get a ton of cap space.

I actually don't see the other team going for any of that. 

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Edler looks good tonight, I'm sure it's refreshing not to be playing stacked mins, .. Playing with a bit of that Prowess again.

Adding Guddy lightens the load for everyone.  You can see how much it helps everyone's play on the backend.  But particularly happy to see Edler with a bit more swagger

• Upvote 1

Edler was easily our best D out there tonight. His vision along with poise and skill is unparalleled on the back end right now. Tanev is solid, but lacks the range and skating ability of Edler. 

Everyone is so critical of Alex Edler, but we're a much better team with a healthy and confident Elder than without.