The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

22 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Clear?  OK I know we're all just having fun here but to say you know what the guys thoughts and intentions are about the Canucks......

It's not what he's thinking, it's how he looks on the ice. He looks like a man possessed in the games for Sweden. He never played with that fire once this season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Watching the Ducks move the puck on their PP.  Edler is way too static never changes postal codes just parks at the point.  Ana worked the points great and had a lot of good looks on the PP.

Maybe the Canucks need to trade him to learn new postal codes. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's not what he's thinking, it's how he looks on the ice. He looks like a man possessed in the games for Sweden. He never played with that fire once this season. 

To be fair, he does step it up in the playoffs, but we aren't in the playoffs much these days.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Watching the Ducks move the puck on their PP.  Edler is way too static never changes postal codes just parks at the point.  Ana worked the points great and had a lot of good looks on the PP.

Our PP forwards don't pass back to the point until their options are taken away. The defence-men have little time and usually just throw it at the net or push the puck across then back down and so on. To me that was one of the biggest weaknesses of our PP system. This magnifies on Edler because his wingspan makes for longer windups and a wider arc on his moves.

We still need him to eat up minutes against the big boys. He plays big minutes against the best in the League and all of his good play is ignored. Even the very best defence-men in the NHL get beat. He's way better than how our fan base portrays him. We have better support D with another year under their belts now. Hopefully he can play less minutes and be more effective next season.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Our PP forwards don't pass back to the point until their options are taken away. The defence-men have little time and usually just throw it at the net or push the puck across then back down and so on. To me that was one of the biggest weaknesses of our PP system. This magnifies on Edler because his wingspan makes for longer windups and a wider arc on his moves.

We still need him to eat up minutes against the big boys. He plays big minutes against the best in the League and all of his good play is ignored. Even the very best defence-men in the NHL get beat. He's way better than how our fan base portrays him. We have better support D with another year under their belts now. Hopefully he can play less minutes and be more effective next season.

Our PP was pathetic front to back. Edler included. No comparison to what Ana did last night.

Edler was disinterested all season,look at him now with Team Sweden- 2 different guys.

Edler has always played a pretty physical game internationally. No idea what slows that game with the Canucks. He was trending more physical until Guddy was injured. Anyone watching the Oilers has to realize how much more physical and bigger the Canucks have to get.  

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler has always played a pretty physical game internationally. No idea what slows that game with the Canucks. He was trending more physical until Guddy was injured. Anyone watching the Oilers has to realize how much more physical and bigger the Canucks have to get.  

I think his suspensions may have something to do with it.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think his suspensions may have something to do with it.

He's a big, strong dman and other players seem to just bounce off him; which seems to look far worse than what it is.  With his record, he just can't afford to take another suspension.

Unfortunately, the Canucks don't have a #1 (left handed) dman, so Edler ends up playing way too much.

He s having a good tournament and has been one of the better dman fr team sweden.

He s skating hard, making plays, his passing has been right on the dot, hard to play against, jumping in rushes and also that hit early in tournament.

Mayb cause the canucks chase puck in their own zone a lot and thats hurting his numbers and defensive ability or just the outcome of playing with better defense cause that swedish defense is sexy but idk. All I can say is that he looks far more determined right now than hes ever been and looks like a completly different dman than he did in regular season.

23 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

He s having a good tournament and has been one of the better dman fr team sweden.

He s skating hard, making plays, his passing has been right on the dot, hard to play against, jumping in rushes and also that hit early in tournament.

Mayb cause the canucks chase puck in their own zone a lot and thats hurting his numbers and defensive ability or just the outcome of playing with better defense cause that swedish defense is sexy but idk. All I can say is that he looks far more determined right now than hes ever been and looks like a completly different dman than he did in regular season.

23 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

I thought Edler had a strong couple of games before Gudbranson was hurt. IMO his TOI should be in the 20 -22 minutes. This is where he is most effective.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Edler had a strong couple of games before Gudbranson was hurt. IMO his TOI should be in the 20 -22 minutes. This is where he is most effective.

Exactly my thoughts Edler gets $&!# on non-stop. To the point where some have even suggested exposing him. When in fact, if the Canucks wouls simply play him a little less and allow him to be the type of D that he is I think he would shine. Of all the rants about players on here, Edler and Sbisa have to be the worst and most uninformed. It's like asking A pitcher to play third base and expect him to bat 3.oo and win a gold glove. Edler is a much better d than given credit for. haters want to point out all his turnovers Has anyone watched some of the elite D on other teams? Doughty Webber etc they also turn the puck over quite a bit Edler plays the wrong role on this club. I really hope he gets A chance to show when played properly he is still a very good player

On 4/3/2017 at 10:36 PM, niknuk85 said:

If there were ever a species you want to see go extinct it's the edler supporter. They aren't extinct yet but they are on the endagerd species list. (Won't be long now )

ya go watch some of the Sweden games guys like you have zero clue. All he needs is fewer minutes and allowed to play the role that best suits him. How many times was he caught out of position cuz the twins made a quick change and left him out there to look like he was to blame. watch the games and learn about how certain things lead up to Edler taking the fall. There is A reason he hasn't been traded yet, and it isn't his NTC Like I said watch sweden play and tell me he should be exposed to save Sbisa (who I like) JB knows he needs to stop relying on Edler as A minute muncher. Sadly our D is young and injury prone and quite frankly sucks right now until the young guys get experience. Give Edler away for free what a joke.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, higgyfan said:

He's a big, strong dman and other players seem to just bounce off him; which seems to look far worse than what it is.  With his record, he just can't afford to take another suspension.

Unfortunately, the Canucks don't have a #1 (left handed) dman, so Edler ends up playing way too much.

Sad but true. I also mentioned this in another post but went back and watched a few games they have where they just show bits of it forget what it's called. What I noticed was most of Edler's mistakes were caused by his partner not clearing the zone taking Edler out of position, and on sloppy line changes where Edler would pinch and get caught cuz the twins or whoever decided to change. Last but not least most mistakes came in the 3rd where it is safe to assume he was at or over the 22-minute mark. There was a reason AV got the best out of his Swedes he managed their ice time Torts and WD IMO royally fuc*ed his game up. Hope Green watches more than just the pp from 2011

• Upvote 1