The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

$&!#. The rest of the league is catching on that elder is garbage.

I dont think they mean garbage just that he is a depth defenseman at this point that will grind it out for you (although surprisingly not for the nucks last season).

That said some of the posters here that think he is worth a good prospect or 1st round pick are way out to lunch. 

Edler an enforcer? Stralman is no less of an enforcer than Edler, and when you're talking about overall career, what kind of enforcers have 40+ point seasons from the blueline? Edler at the World's is no enforcer, and as bad as he's been on the Canucks, he's arguably better than Stralman given the right matchups and TOI per night. 

• Upvote 1

Yup, here's the link to the full article, but I was surprised to hear the word enforcer associated with him. Certainly with that group he may be more physical than some of the others, even if we don't see it as much anymore.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-alex-edler-makes-big-impact-at-2017-iihf-world-championship/c-289484132

"You have to play a little bit different," said Edler, who had two assists for Sweden during preliminary-round play in Group A. "The ice surface is so much bigger, so it took a few games to get used to that, but I've tried to play solid in all areas of the ice and be physical. That's just how I play. That's when I play my best."

:unsure:

• Upvote 2

To be honest I think Edler just needs the right team and the right coach. We've all seen how systems-sensitive he can be. With AV he was his very best (of course he was playing in his prime too). He was paired with a steady veteran most of the time in Sami Salo, and was allowed to just free-wheel. The guy played hard, physically and nearly potted 50 points. (or at a 50 point pace anyway). 

Then of course Tortorella came in with his different coaching technique and destroyed Edler's confidence and game (along with the Sedins and several others).

Now we see Desjardins come in who appears more similar to AV which really suited Edler's play, but not to a tee, and Edler is definitely slowing down.

Now he goes off to play under a different coach, different ice and style of play but completely different system and role, and I think we're seeing where and how he plays best. He plays best when he's not being worked like a dog at 25 minutes a night, but on a lesser pairing with lower responsibilities. That's what we've needed to do with him for a long time, but the coaches haven't really had anyone else to give those prime minutes to. He's still a decent 20 minute top-4 defenceman on most teams and bottom pairing on a stacked contender. Hopefully this boosts his stock more than anything else.

If we can't trade Edler, he'd be a pretty good mentor and 3rd pairing defenceman. I would be interested to see how he'd cope with 15-19 minutes a night mentoring Juolevi in particular. Edler does have a mean streak and can protect players if he has to, but I'd love to see that pairing at training camp and if we can't move Edler, maybe in a year or two's time. 

There is certainly a role for him on just about any team, but definitely still one here. I really expect Stecher to surpass him as our best defender next year but Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson and Sbisa can all take 20 minutes so there's no need to play Edler more than 21-22 minutes a night anymore. Lets get him down the depth chart and he'll play as well as he is right now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest I think Edler just needs the right team and the right coach. We've all seen how systems-sensitive he can be. With AV he was his very best (of course he was playing in his prime too). He was paired with a steady veteran most of the time in Sami Salo, and was allowed to just free-wheel. The guy played hard, physically and nearly potted 50 points. (or at a 50 point pace anyway). 

Then of course Tortorella came in with his different coaching technique and destroyed Edler's confidence and game (along with the Sedins and several others).

Now we see Desjardins come in who appears more similar to AV which really suited Edler's play, but not to a tee, and Edler is definitely slowing down.

Now he goes off to play under a different coach, different ice and style of play but completely different system and role, and I think we're seeing where and how he plays best. He plays best when he's not being worked like a dog at 25 minutes a night, but on a lesser pairing with lower responsibilities. That's what we've needed to do with him for a long time, but the coaches haven't really had anyone else to give those prime minutes to. He's still a decent 20 minute top-4 defenceman on most teams and bottom pairing on a stacked contender. Hopefully this boosts his stock more than anything else.

If we can't trade Edler, he'd be a pretty good mentor and 3rd pairing defenceman. I would be interested to see how he'd cope with 15-19 minutes a night mentoring Juolevi in particular. Edler does have a mean streak and can protect players if he has to, but I'd love to see that pairing at training camp and if we can't move Edler, maybe in a year or two's time. 

There is certainly a role for him on just about any team, but definitely still one here. I really expect Stecher to surpass him as our best defender next year but Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson and Sbisa can all take 20 minutes so there's no need to play Edler more than 21-22 minutes a night anymore. Lets get him down the depth chart and he'll play as well as he is right now.

I agree. I think our lines next year should be quite spread out. I would like to see

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson 

No true hierarchy on the lines, except for maybe Sbisa-Gudbranson. Two years ago we saw how good Hutton was with Tanev, and just last year Edler played quite well with Stecher on the first line. Sbisa and Gudbranson provides a classic gritty shutdown third pairing. 

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Image result for where's boucher meme

• Upvote 2

Really hoping that win ignites Edler's motivation to win again. He's become one of the most selfish and unmotivated players on this team. Used to be a huge fan of him and even bought his jersey, now I can't even wear it around without my friends chirping me.

• Upvote 2

Yzerman must see some value in Edler... Alex is solid #2 / #3 guy on any team IMO.

Seems like a destination Edler would waive for.

Edler (2-2.5mill retained for duration of contract) to Tampa for Drouin or TJ straight up?

At 2.5 cap hit, Edler would be an absolute steal for 2 years while their cup window is open

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, apollo said:

Yzerman must see some value in Edler... Alex is solid #2 / #3 guy on any team IMO.

Edler (2-2.5mill retained for duration of contract) to Tampa for Drouin or TJ straight up?

At 2.5 cap hit, Edler would be an absolute steal for 2 years while their cup window is open

Edler to Tampa would make sense for a lot of reasons. Hedman, Stralman and Edler reunited on defence. That's a lot retained though and we'd probably have to give a bit of "future" up for Drouin (eg. a forward B or C grade prospect or 2nd round/3rd round pick) but I'd do it in a heart-beat.

I wonder what they'd be thinking about Brayden Point and how untouchable he is? 40 points in 68 games but undersized.

Edler + CBJ's 2nd round pick for Point or Drouin? I'd much rather Point, gives us a scoring center and key playmaker that could really make our shoot-first wingers succeed.

Then pull off the miraculous Tanev + 5th overall to Buffalo for Reinhart + 8th overall pick.

Draft Heiskanen if we can, otherwise Makar or Liljegren. Draft a defenceman with the 2018 1st rounder too. 3 consecutive first round defencemen. 3 bonified first line NHL centers (Horvat, Reinhart, Point).

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Edler to Tampa would make sense for a lot of reasons. Hedman, Stralman and Edler reunited on defence. That's a lot retained though and we'd probably have to give a bit of "future" up for Drouin (eg. a forward B or C grade prospect or 2nd round/3rd round pick) but I'd do it in a heart-beat.

I wonder what they'd be thinking about Brayden Point and how untouchable he is? 40 points in 68 games but undersized.

Edler + CBJ's 2nd round pick for Point or Drouin? I'd much rather Point, gives us a scoring center and key playmaker that could really make our shoot-first wingers succeed.

Then pull off the miraculous Tanev + 5th overall to Buffalo for Reinhart + 8th overall pick.

Draft Heiskanen if we can, otherwise Makar or Liljegren. Draft a defenceman with the 2018 1st rounder too. 3 consecutive first round defencemen. 3 bonified first line NHL centers (Horvat, Reinhart, Point).

edler and 2nd rounder doesnt not get u drouin.

A dman whose past his best years and 2nd round pick in a weak draft for a forward whose likely going to be the top scorer in a team. Its a robbery.

something like Edler's salary retained (1.5 - 2 mill) and 5 th overall fr drouin. 

On 5/22/2017 at 7:16 AM, Butters Stoch said:

Really hoping that win ignites Edler's motivation to win again. He's become one of the most selfish and unmotivated players on this team. Used to be a huge fan of him and even bought his jersey, now I can't even wear it around without my friends chirping me.

So misguided...

It's funny how good Edler looks when playing with a solid partner and a team with depth. But yeah CDC, you're right, he's a worthless plug playing too many minutes due to a lack of options and sheltering rookies on a bottom 5 team.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, apollo said:

Maybe a little convincing by Ohlund and Salo may do the trick.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

edler and 2nd rounder doesnt not get u drouin.

A dman whose past his best years and 2nd round pick in a weak draft for a forward whose likely going to be the top scorer in a team. Its a robbery.

something like Edler's salary retained (1.5 - 2 mill) and 5 th overall fr drouin. 

Nope.  Edler straight up gets us Drouin.  As much as I (as a fan) like Drouin, I don't think JB wants that kind of high maintenance, one-way player.  Probably if Yzerman wants to move Drouin, he will have to take back another team's problem child.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Edler straight up gets us Drouin.  As much as I (as a fan) like Drouin, I don't think JB wants that kind of high maintenance, one-way player.  Probably if Yzerman wants to move Drouin, he will have to take back another team's problem child.

im sure yzerman has way better offers than that. 

Elder wont get u drouin in any world. Tanev might

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

im sure yzerman has way better offers than that. 

Elder wont get u drouin in any world. Tanev might

Look at the team's successful in the playoffs.  Do you see any one way, me first, softies leading those teams?  The league seems to be moving towards the 200 foot players, especially in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Look at the team's successful in the playoffs.  Do you see any one way, me first, softies leading those teams?  The league seems to be moving towards the 200 foot players, especially in the playoffs.

im just saying mayb TB can find better than alex edler fr drouin. I know drouin is not a 200ft player but teams also need some one to put the puck in the net and i wouldnt have any problem with drouin's defensive game if he's the leading scorer on my team. Do u remember watching him in last years playoffs?

Edited by Nuck1991
spell

On 5/12/2017 at 0:28 PM, Boudrias said:

I thought Edler had a strong couple of games before Gudbranson was hurt. IMO his TOI should be in the 20 -22 minutes. This is where he is most effective.

Even less and I bet you would see a much harder to play against Edler.  And paired with Stetcher that seems about right. 

• Upvote 1