The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

So with the direction of this team. adding older more experienced skilled players to the lineup. it seems less likely the likes of edler will indeed be moved when his contract ends. if this inconceivable fact before july 1st were to occur. 

what would you believe his next contract would be worth in terms of cap hit and possibly term?

Alex has 2 seasons left with his 5 million dollar cap hit remaining. he is currently 31 years old and will be 33 at the end of his contract. ( https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alexander-edler )

please share your thoughts.

Just now, Rush17 said:

So with the direction of this team. adding older more experienced skilled players to the lineup. it seems less likely the likes of edler will indeed be moved when his contract ends. if this inconceivable fact before july 1st were to occur. 

what would you believe his next contract would be worth in terms of cap hit and possibly term?

Alex has 2 seasons left with his 5 million dollar cap hit remaining. he is currently 31 years old and will be 33 at the end of his contract. ( https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alexander-edler )

please share your thoughts.

im hoping if his play remains similar we can lock him back up between 3.5 and 5 million on a 2 or 3 year term.  his cap hit in todays dollars isn't bad by any stretch.  i think the emergence of Juolevi if he excels as the scouts project he could bump edler down to the 2nd pairing a year or so into edlers extension.  (possibly sooner but lets not try and reach to far).

alex has shown he can be a very good 2nd pairing d man.  the question is can he have that role here in the foreseeable future. i hope greener can bring out his physical game some more. alex seems to excel when hes physical.

The following season I know Edler is going to take a massive step back, so lets cut his ice-time. Ideally we have him as our 2nd left sided defenceman but we really don't have anyone better. We're mainly waiting for Hutton to take the reins but I'm not sure if that happens just yet. I'm expecting a big bounce back season from Hutton but let's be honest, he is a 5th round pick after all so we can't lump massive expectations on the kid. This team is really waiting for Juolevi to be their top man and that'll take at least 3 years time, or roughly when Edler's contract runs out. Until then, I think we should run our top-2 pairings pretty evenly. Edler-Stecher and maybe Hutton-Tanev as our top-2 pairings is a decent ideal, roll them roughly at 20-21 mins each. Leave Del Zotto and Gudbranson together as our bottom pairing.

Hopefully Green doesn't burn out Edler the way past coaches have. Playing him at 25 minutes a night is asking for trouble, you can't blame Edler for mistakes when you overwork him and play him like Doughty.

• 3 months later...
On 2017-07-04 at 9:23 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

The following season I know Edler is going to take a massive step back, so lets cut his ice-time. Ideally we have him as our 2nd left sided defenceman but we really don't have anyone better. We're mainly waiting for Hutton to take the reins but I'm not sure if that happens just yet. I'm expecting a big bounce back season from Hutton but let's be honest, he is a 5th round pick after all so we can't lump massive expectations on the kid. This team is really waiting for Juolevi to be their top man and that'll take at least 3 years time, or roughly when Edler's contract runs out. Until then, I think we should run our top-2 pairings pretty evenly. Edler-Stecher and maybe Hutton-Tanev as our top-2 pairings is a decent ideal, roll them roughly at 20-21 mins each. Leave Del Zotto and Gudbranson together as our bottom pairing.

Hopefully Green doesn't burn out Edler the way past coaches have. Playing him at 25 minutes a night is asking for trouble, you can't blame Edler for mistakes when you overwork him and play him like Doughty.

DelZotto played over 27 minutes against Winnipeg.

16 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Any words on his injury? Is he playing tomorrow? How long is he out for?

Yeah, oddly quiet and no one in media seems to be asking any questions.... How long? Will Pouliot play? Who are they recalling? Will they play ahead of Pouliot? 

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, oddly quiet and no one in media seems to be asking any questions.... How long? Will Pouliot play? Who are they recalling? Will they play ahead of Pouliot? 

I agree, but it would seem very odd to me if they did not put him in the lineup tonight.  They traded for him and gave up a draft pick, so at this point they can't send him down.  Presumably they have been waiting for an opportunity to get him into the lineup to see first hand in game situations what they have and what he needs to work on.  This has given them a golden opportunity to do just that without sitting someone else out.

If he is NOT in the lineup, that would tell me that he still isn't up to speed on their systems, which after a few weeks would be a bit of a red light going off.  I see them pairing him primarily with Tanev to give him the best possible start for his confidence, as well as it allows them to leave Del Zotto and Guddy together, who have been a pretty good second pairing.

I feel bad for him, I mean he is not a bad defenseman and he has just been asked to do too much. If he is on a better team as a #3 or #4 D, he would of been a beast and play so much better. At this point, I just hope he waives his no trade clause when his healthy, and get moved somewhere. Maybe a new scenery could rejuvenate his career. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎14 at 0:52 PM, aGENT said:

Yay, more ignorant Edler hate. The guy is a solid #2-3D. We're worse with him out of the lineup. 

As you know. I am a tanker and I would trade Edler in a NY minute, but yeah, I don't get the Edler hate either???? He is a 2 / 3 and we press him to be a #1, which is totally unfair to him.......But even saying that, I would want a small fortune for him, and so would most, so I don't get how he can be dirt and have value, if he is thought of so poorly........I just ignore those without knowledge

Or a good argument why they feel that way.................

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man i hope Edler has bought in with coach Greens system.Sometimes i think the Sedins aren't  on board or maybe its just they cant play this style, no forcheck, no speed,no tenacity. We have D depth now (i think) that if eddy regress's further even from last years play we have the guys to drop his minutes accordingly.

16 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Man i hope Edler has bought in with coach Greens system.Sometimes i think the Sedins aren't  on board or maybe its just they cant play this style, no forcheck, no speed,no tenacity. We have D depth now (i think) that if eddy regress's further even from last years play we have the guys to drop his minutes accordingly.

One would have to think that Edler has to be aware of how effective the defense has played in his absence. With established players like Tanev, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto taking on well dispersed minutes, Edler hasn't been missed as in previous years. Benning has done very well in ensuring that the defense is deeper than before. In turn, this has given greener players in Hutton, Stecher and Pouliot more stability to make the most of their opportunity. As well, having the greatest 7/8 defenseman in the league in Biega helps.

Edler must see the writing on the wall, in how the Sedins ice-time has been reduced significantly, and should also undergo a similar adjustment in minutes. He doesn't need to be the go to defenseman from any standpoint outside of experience. Del Zotto has taken on the minutes, Gudbranson, the physicality, and hopefully one of the younger defensemen (my bet's on Pouliot) will take charge of generating offense from the back end.

I hope he comes back invigorated and ready to use his shot and frame to make things happen. Will be sad to see Biega back in the pressbox though.

• Upvote 2