The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One would have to think that Edler has to be aware of how effective the defense has played in his absence. With established players like Tanev, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto taking on well dispersed minutes, Edler hasn't been missed as in previous years. Benning has done very well in ensuring that the defense is deeper than before. In turn, this has given greener players in Hutton, Stecher and Pouliot more stability to make the most of their opportunity. As well, having the greatest 7/8 defenseman in the league in Biega helps.

Edler must see the writing on the wall, in how the Sedins ice-time has been reduced significantly, and should also undergo a similar adjustment in minutes. He doesn't need to be the go to defenseman from any standpoint outside of experience. Del Zotto has taken on the minutes, Gudbranson, the physicality, and hopefully one of the younger defensemen (my bet's on Pouliot) will take charge of generating offense from the back end.

I hope he comes back invigorated and ready to use his shot and frame to make things happen. Will be sad to see Biega back in the pressbox though.

Every coach who has ever had Edler have played him big TOI. Desjardin actually cut his TOI last spring at times. IMHO at 20 minutes TOI I think Edler is more effective. I actually think it might cut his injury time down as well. The Canuck history is that they have never had enough depth to cut his TOI. I am still hoping that some kind of trade can be worked out for Edler. He will not be on this club when they become competitive so if he can be moved for 2018 Draft picks then it has to happen. I originally wanted Tanev moved but I actually think he is a better mentor than Edler. This thinking is all predicated on the resigning of Guddy. Van d-core is too small. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Edler is so frustrating for me. He was once my favourite player, so I'm always hoping he'll prove everyone wrong, but he's let me down for the last five years most of the time. He's generally underrated, but still, he's never fulfilled the potential it looked like he had. As much as I like him, I wouldn't be devastated if we cut ties with him this year at some point, unless he improves suddenly.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Send him to ride busses in Utica then, much like other teams have done with their overpaid, and underwhelming players.  Wade Redden comes to mind.  

Edler is nowhere near Wade Redden bad  infact last night Pouliots gaff was much worse yet Edler took the blame for it even though the play was on Pouliot. 

It's not Edler's fault injuries have us relying on him to carry the load. He was playing pretty well when both him and Tanev were healthy and he was playing less minutes.

Also if we sent him to Utica he'd be claimed in seconds and that is terrible asset management. Weren't you crying poor asset management when we lost Corrado? 

Edler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Corrado. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Edler is nowhere near Wade Redden bad  infact last night Pouliots gaff was much worse yet Edler took the blame for it even though the play was on Pouliot. 

It's not Edler's fault injuries have us relying on him to carry the load. He was playing pretty well when both him and Tanev were healthy and he was playing less minutes.

Also if we sent him to Utica he'd be claimed in seconds and that is terrible asset management. Weren't you crying poor asset management when we lost Corrado? 

Edler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Corrado. 

Corridor is not a Cup guy, but neither is Edler.  If he is claimed, oh well.  We slip a bit further in the standings, and get better odds in the draft lottery.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Corridor is not a Cup guy, but neither is Edler.  If he is claimed, oh well.  We slip a bit further in the standings, and get better odds in the draft lottery.  

Lol that is horrible asset management also if Edler sucks so much and you want to tank wouldn't you prefer him in the lineup? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Send him to ride busses in Utica then, much like other teams have done with their overpaid, and underwhelming players.  Wade Redden comes to mind.  

Edler has repeatedly said that he has never been asked to waive his NTC. He had 24 minutes last game. I still hope he can get us a Draft 2018 pick. It requires resigning Gudbranson first. If Gudbranson leaves then Tanev can be moved. Either of these players should bring back a 1st Rounder in a strong draft.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Edler has repeatedly said that he has never been asked to waive his NTC. He had 24 minutes last game. I still hope he can get us a Draft 2018 pick. It requires resigning Gudbranson first. If Gudbranson leaves then Tanev can be moved. Either of these players should bring back a 1st Rounder in a strong draft.

If Gudbranson is resigned (as expected) then I think Edler goes this year or next, but Tanev stays at least two more, or until Chatfield, Brisebois or similar is ready.  Holm/McEneny likely take Edler's spot, and if Pouliot continues to do well I think that makes Hutton the odd guy out.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Gudbranson is resigned (as expected) then I think Edler goes this year or next, but Tanev stays at least two more, or until Chatfield, Brisebois or similar is ready.  Holm/McEneny likely take Edler's spot, and if Pouliot continues to do well I think that makes Hutton the odd guy out.

You seem preoccupied with moving Hutton out. :huh: Not saying that doesn't happen but am confident that they will see how his season goes. Canucks simply have to get more offence off their backend before opposing teams start to back off. It puts a lot of stress on the group. I would like to keep Edler longer than Tanev but with Gudbranson signed I would move whichever brings the best return. 

It looks like he’s giving his -39 season a run for its money. And he’s on pace for a 10 point season (if he wasn’t injured).

Let’s be perfectly honest here; would any of you want Benning to trade for a Defenseman making 5 million a year that puts up -30 and 10 points and is on the decline? Would you be willing to give up a 1st or 2nd rd pick for that type of player?

If we’re to be honest here, we’d be lucky to get a 4th rd pick or a low level prospect for him. But ultimately if there was a trade for him, it would be a Loui Eriksson type player on a similar contract coming back. Edler has little to no trade value left.

Waive him.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think your estimation is pretty solid. Hutton, while serviceable and a good winker, hasn't really done much to separate himself from the rest of the defense.

I think trading Edler is of utmost importance at this stage in the season. He's back to being fairly inconsistent and sloppy, which for the most tenured d-man on the roster, isn't a good thing. Now is the time to let the new d-corp fall truly come to form, sloughing off the redundancies.

47 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It looks like he’s giving his -39 season a run for its money. And he’s on pace for a 10 point season (if he wasn’t injured).

Let’s be perfectly honest here; would any of you want Benning to trade for a Defenseman making 5 million a year that puts up -30 and 10 points and is on the decline? Would you be willing to give up a 1st or 2nd rd pick for that type of player?

If we’re to be honest here, we’d be lucky to get a 4th rd pick or a low level prospect for him. But ultimately if there was a trade for him, it would be a Loui Eriksson type player on a similar contract coming back. Edler has little to no trade value left.

Waive him.

Addition by subtraction.  The Leafs were able to move the "PYLON" Phaneuf, and not retain salary.  We should be able to do the same with Edler.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1