The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Stetcher is paired with him and makes less mistakes

No, he really doesn't. Edler is usually the one left covering for him actually. 

And that has zippity-do-da to do with your original post about his pay. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, he really doesn't. Edler is usually the one left covering for him actually. 

And that has zippity-do-da to do with your original post about his pay. 

Lol, quite the opposite actually,. 

But i’ll Stop now, and not hurt your “Herbie the Love Bug” feeling for Edler.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I find it odd that Edler hate is coming out of the woodwork now, considering he's been great for the past week or two.

I’ve been fed up with his errors all season, 2 weeks of good play you say?  I’m not getting on that band wagon.

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Stetcher is paired with him and makes less mistakes

I like the fact that Stecher's TOI has gone down this year and he has had the time to refocus his game. He is not making as many higher risk plays. I thought that by year end last year he was making to many desperation passes. Stecher has an above average ability to handle the puck. He often gets passes from Edler that I am amazed he can accept. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seriously SS, Edler hasn’t broken a stick on this entire road trip!  :lol:

He offered Gaunce all his sticks...

Edler has been very consistent in the last few weeks, taking the body like a beast, boxing players out and making some great passes. I hope he can keep it up because when he plays like this, he's a very good defenseman.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He offered Gaunce all his sticks...

Edler has been very consistent in the last few weeks, taking the body like a beast, boxing players out and making some great passes. I hope he can keep it up because when he plays like this, he's a very good defenseman.

Agreed.  I noticed he's been taking a lot of hits to make plays, and free up pucks too.  Someone said earlier that Edler's back must be feeling improved.  Maybe it's that simple?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

With his powerplay assist tonight, Edler is now just one powerplay point from tying a nearly 40-year old record in all-time powerplay points for Canuck defensemen. He has 142 to the 143 of Dennis Kearns.

Low and behold, after this streak, Edler is only 9 points away from being the highest scoring Canucks defenseman.  Wouldn't have thought he could do it this year as little as a month ago.  Now, I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Posted this in the PGT, but I'll post it here too: Alex Edler has broken a 37-year old record for the most powerplay points by a defenseman tonight. He now has 144 powerplay points as a Canuck. Dennis Kearns scored his 143rd powerplay point way back in 1981.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Posted this in the PGT, but I'll post it here too: Alex Edler has broken a 37-year old record for the most powerplay points by a defenseman tonight. He now has 144 powerplay points as a Canuck. Dennis Kearns scored his 143rd powerplay point way back in 1981.

Guy's a bum.

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Edler's game continues to be strong. Is he finally polishing his game as he enters his 30s? He's looking good these days.

Not that we'll ever know, but I wonder how his back has been lately.  It can't be as simple as that could it?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Not that we'll ever know, but I wonder how his back has been lately.  It can't be as simple as that could it?

That's what I tend to figure.  Sortof like how Hamhuis was regressing then after he came back from that facial injury he was back to his old self.  Seems like it gave him time to heal up more than just that.  These guys are always playing injured to some degree, but once something fully heals up (backs especially) it means you can really go out full bore again.  Backs are tough though, seem they never fully permanently heal, so we'll have to see if he keeps going as he is.  If nothing else, he's certainly showing how he's capable of playing, and he's doing it consistently.  It's not like he's suddenly learned to play hockey at the age of 30.

• Cheers 1

We also have more depth (and despite the standings) a better team around him. Not having to carry as much load all by his lonesome = better Edler. Not much different than when we had an even better/deeper team when we were contending.

Though his minutes sure have been up there somewhat regularly this year, his ATOI is actually down 1min'ish from what he's been playing the last few years (on worse teams with less depth).

I'm sure there's multiple pieces to the puzzle that is Edler's improved performance though, possibly including his health/back. Doubt we'll ever find out for sure about that piece though.

I've been very pro-trading Edler (if he'll waive) this TDL with 50% retained for a nice return (likely bolstered by his solid play this season as well, there may not be a better time to sell in fact). But that's going to be bitter sweet for me if/when that happens. Guys been a warrior and a hell of a good D for a lot of years here and taken a lot of abuse by fans and media for little more than not being a #1D and playing on a crappy team for all but a few years.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We also have more depth (and despite the standings) a better team around him. Not having to carry as much load all by his lonesome = better Edler. Not much different than when we had an even better/deeper team when we were contending.

Though his minutes sure have been up there somewhat regularly this year, his ATOI is actually down 1min'ish from what he's been playing the last few years (on worse teams with less depth).

I'm sure there's multiple pieces to the puzzle that is Edler's improved performance though, possibly including his health/back. Doubt we'll ever find out for sure about that piece though.

I've been very pro-trading Edler (if he'll waive) this TDL with 50% retained for a nice return (likely bolstered by his solid play this season as well, there may not be a better time to sell in fact). But that's going to be bitter sweet for me if/when that happens. Guys been a warrior and a hell of a good D for a lot of years here and taken a lot of abuse by fans and media for little more than not being a #1D and playing on a crappy team for all but a few years.

I think also not having to shoulder the load of being the preeminent physical presence on the defense has been instrumental in him feeling that much more comfortable. It really shows.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Edler's game continues to be strong. Is he finally polishing his game as he enters his 30s? He's looking good these days.

I think the coaches are relying on Edler a little too much.  Yes his game is better but he still makes that one horrible pass at least once a game.  Maybe if the rest of the D core sans Tanev would step up their game Edler wouldn't have to play so much. 

Man he'd be a great top 4 addition to a team that already has a number one pairing though, cough Tampa cough:bigblush:.  Hopefully the scouts from other teams see this though I am not holding my breath for Edler to waive.