The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think also not having to shoulder the load of being the preeminent physical presence on the defense has been instrumental in him feeling that much more comfortable. It really shows.

Trade Gudbranson!

:picard:

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I think the coaches are relying on Edler a little too much.  Yes his game is better but he still makes that one horrible pass at least once a game.  Maybe if the rest of the D core sans Tanev would step up their game Edler wouldn't have to play so much. 

Man he'd be a great top 4 addition to a team that already has a number one pairing though, cough Tampa cough:bigblush:.  Hopefully the scouts from other teams see this though I am not holding my breath for Edler to waive. 

Not denying it would be better if we were able to rely less on Edler (it's largely been my biggest point re: him for years) but even the best D in the world generally make a couple misplays a game while playing 22+ minutes largely against the best competition in the world. They're not robots.

It's an unrealistic expectation, particularly for a guy who's not in fact one of the top 20 or 30 D in the world. People really need to quit crucifying the poor guy for it :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Just throwing this out there. How many of you would take Brent Seabrook over Edler, at this stage of their careers??? Just on contract alone, I'll take #23.

If you're factoring in the contract, Edler by a country mile. That said, Seabrook has historically been better, though he's worse than Edler this year.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, coolboarder said:

The issues here is that he hasn't been consistent with his play, on a good night, he would be like this but oftentimes, he wasn't like this for majority of games played this season and in last few years as well.  

Edler has been just terrible at least a quarter of the games, and a non-factor/unnoticed except for a bad pass another quarter of the games.  He is now completely outclassed by Tanev, and, I would argue, Stecher.  Most nights Pouliot and Biega have more to offer and play better.  People boast about his shot blocking, but this is poor compensation for his bad passes, poor skating and terrible rush defense.  In fact, his shot-blocking is a result of not intercepting passes, not chasing down forwards better, not closing gaps properly when they are bearing down on him. I'm not sure where the Edler went who was so good in 2010-2012, but he isn't here anymore.  Should have been moved last TDL or even the TDL before that.

I suspect he has little trade value now. 

We are probably on schedule to lose him or let him walk.  Still, not even close to the Hamhuis debacle.  Hamhuis had real value. 

I actually have the opposite opinion, TheRocket18. Edler has only one year left on his contract after this one. It doesn't look like we've asked him to waive, and given his comments a couple of years ago it doesn't look like he's really interested in going anywhere else - which leads me to believe we may just play out his remaining year here. He just looks... happier and less lost out there this season.

Given that we don't have many prospects aside for Juolevi who will probably be in the lineup next season, I wonder if we might just end up keeping Edler.  He's obviously not good as a top pairing guy but as a 3rd or 4th d or so, but despite his gaffs I still think he brings a reasonable overall package.  2.5 mil for 2 years?  That gives us enough time to bolster the rest of the D and brings us to around the area where we will start being a true playoff team - after which point we may even re-sign him again as our 5th guy... which he might very well be interested in given he's had his whole career with us and can finally taste success again.

• Upvote 1

It depends heavily on what happen's next year, but if Edler is playing like this next year too, I see him getting $4-4.5M per year probably. If he reverts to his former self, it'd be closer to $3.5M probably. The debate would be whether to take that contract or let some other team swoop it up.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It depends heavily on what happen's next year, but if Edler is playing like this next year too, I see him getting $4-4.5M per year probably. If he reverts to his former self, it'd be closer to $3.5M probably. The debate would be whether to take that contract or let some other team swoop it up.

While Edler had been quite solid this season, it is still a good idea to move on from him and the Sedins. They should all be looking for another opportunity to compete for the big prize. 

• Upvote 1

In the Philip Holm thread, there is a fair amount of talk re Edler and his NTC. CapFriendly doesn't show any 'lists' or changing criteria from year to year. If I recall, his desire to stay in Vancouver had a big 'wife and kids' component to it. Happy wife, happy life. A couple of years later, I would assume that all these factors still apply. Maybe at the TDL next year he and his family will have to re-evaluate, but it would seem the he's with us for the next year plus. Being a Edler 'realist', that's fine by me.

21 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Edler had been quite solid this season, it is still a good idea to move on from him and the Sedins. They should all be looking for another opportunity to compete for the big prize. 

I am more willing to see Edler extended a year over the Twins. :) 

Edler (320 points) is now one point away from tying Lumme and Kearns (321) in points. After he beats them, he'll be second to only Ohlund and Ohlund is only four points ahead (325) of Lumme and Kearns. We may yet see Edler become the all-time point leader among defensemen in Canucks history.

He's also just two assists back of second-place Lidster in all-time assists among defensemen. Edler has 240 assists and Lidster has 242. That said, Kearns, who's in first, is way ahead at 290 assists.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Edler (320 points) is now one point away from tying Lumme and Kearns (321) in points. After he beats them, he'll be second to only Ohlund and Ohlund is only four points ahead (325) of Lumme and Kearns. We may yet see Edler become the all-time point leader among defensemen in Canucks history.

He's also just two assists back of second-place Lidster in all-time assists among defensemen. Edler has 240 assists and Lidster has 242. That said, Kearns, who's in first, is way ahead at 290 assists.

Bah.  "Edler sucks".

• Cheers 1

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 8:56 PM, Tyndall2 said:

Does Edler not really want a chance at a shot at the Stanley Cup in his career??  If not then let him walk when his contract expires.  

Why would you do that?  If he wants to move to another team, ask him to waive his clause and we'll send him to a contender for a return. He shouldn't mind too much if his mind is on moving on a couple of months later anyway.

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Bah.  "Edler sucks".

Edler is great. 3rd round pick who has played 730 games in a 'nuck uniform not good enough ? Perhaps the past is not what you're talking about, so how about today ? Last night, more than 24mins ( including a short stretch injured ). Not good enough ? MDZ was 2nd in ice time, under 20mins.. The fact that management has not found a 20+ min d to surpass him for ice time is not his fault. Green plays him for a reason. He's not a #1 d, but necessity forces him into that role. Edler is great !

• Cheers 1

You see I put "Edler sucks" in quotes right?  That means I'm quoting somebody else; that somebody else being the Edler haters.

I mean, he isn't an amazing defenseman and I certainly wouldn't call him "great" but he has been quite the workhorse for us.

• Cheers 1

Edler is a top pairing d-man. Question motivation or how he thinks but I like his physicality and his size. I have been open to Benning trading either Edler or Tanev this TDL simply because I thought such a trade would return a 1st Rounder. When it comes down to choosing which one I pick Tanev because of his questionable durability. His contract is attractive and therefore valuable. I can easily see Edler playing another 3 years.   

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler is a top pairing d-man. Question motivation or how he thinks but I like his physicality and his size.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the way he's been playing, he is making a case for it again. He's at least a good #3 guy right now and he's pushing closer and closer towards a #2 guy with his play IMO. On our team, he's clearly our second best defenseman behind Tanev.

This year he's got one less point than last year despite playing in 26 less games. His points-per-game hasn't been this high since 2012-13, and even then, he's very close to that same level.