The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the way he's been playing, he is making a case for it again. He's at least a good #3 guy right now and he's pushing closer and closer towards a #2 guy with his play IMO. On our team, he's clearly our second best defenseman behind Tanev.

This year he's got one less point than last year despite playing in 26 less games. His points-per-game hasn't been this high since 2012-13, and even then, he's very close to that same level.

People like to say this and if the entire game was only played in the defensive end (though it seems like that some nights lately :lol: ) I might agree.

Tanev's career ATOI = 19:43 This year = 19:46

Edler's career ATOI = 22:51 This year = 23:27

Clearly, multiple NHL coaches have different ideas on who our 'best D' overall is.

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

People like to say this and if the entire game was only played in the defensive end (though it seems like that some nights lately :lol: ) I might agree.

Clearly, multiple NHL coaches have different ideas on who our 'best D' overall is.

It's an interesting discussion. Edler is a far more versatile defenseman than Tanev, so he can be played in all sorts of situations, but Tanev is used more more heavily just for defense, limited his possible use. Does the versatility that Edler has put him above Tanev despite Tanev's more reliable and strong defensive game? Perhaps it does.

• Cheers 1

On 2/9/2018 at 11:28 AM, aGENT said:

On 2/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, -AJ- said:

It's an interesting discussion. Edler is a far more versatile defenseman than Tanev, so he can be played in all sorts of situations, but Tanev is used more more heavily just for defense, limited his possible use. Does the versatility that Edler has put him above Tanev despite Tanev's more reliable and strong defensive game? Perhaps it does.

I like Edler but I'm not sure if that's a fair argument. Edler gets a lot of PP time because he's considered to be our best offensive dman , while still getting a lot of PK time because he's our 2nd best defensive dman. But that's just on this team.

The way I look at it, the difference between their defensive games is greater than the difference between their offensive games.

I think it would be fair to say Edler is a 30-40 point dman and Tanev is a 20 point dman. Defensively, it's harder to quantify their value but I'd say Tanev is elite defensively and Edler is somewhere between "above average" and "good"

Still it's good to see Edler getting some praise on CDC.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Edler also deserves props for being on pace for his best offensive season in 5-6 years... nearly at a 40 point pace again. He won't get there due to the games he missed but he's been an important part of our improved powerplay this season. Much better than Del Zotto or Pouliot when they were tried on the first unit, imo. He still has the odd blunders time and again but overall he's had a decent year considering how bad our team's been and there's no one else in our defense core that can log the kind of minutes he can in all situations (although I gotta say, Stecher has really picked it up in the last little while as well).

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 6:15 PM, Wilbur said:

Edler still climbing up the all-time scoring list.  (only 4 points away from D leader Ohlund)

20.  Jyrki Lumme D 579 83 238 321
21.  Alexander Edler D 732 80 241 321
22.  Dennis Kearns D 677 31 290 321

Thanks for posting. Underappreciated defenseman more so now as he has lost a step from his peak.

Like it or not he is the Canucks top defenseman. He is a top pairing blueliner and its really as simple as that. Not he's a 3/4 guy, maybe making case for a 2 guy. In Vancouver he is a top dman.

Anyways big accomplishment where he is all-time in scoring.

Hats off

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:12 PM, Wilbur said:

Edler now alone in 2nd in all time D points, 20th overall.

19.  Mattias Ohlund D 770 93 232 325
20.  Alexander Edler D 735 80 242 322
21.  Jyrki Lumme D 579 83 238 321

Good to see. A much maligned 3rd round pick. Not too sure why another poster started a whole new topic when your post says it all. I like all three of those d men.

13 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 36m36 minutes ago

Edler's agent refuses to answer calls, texts or e-mails, maybe there is something to the Tampa Bay rumour. #Canucks

Or maybe his agent is just busy.... either way I wouldn't mind sending him to TB if  the return is good and he's willing to waive his NTC

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Or maybe his agent is just busy.... either way I wouldn't mind sending him to TB if  the return is good and he's willing to waive his NTC

Or maybe his agent isn't interested in talking to a bunch of vultures about someone he is paid to represent, which could adversely affect his client's well being, the team his client is dedicated to, or his stature as an agent.

I'd be all for trading Edler to continue moving into the future and stocking an already strong prospect pool, but Edler has been great for Gudbranson as well. Double edge sword type of stuff.

On 2/11/2018 at 6:19 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler - Gudbranson is a very solid and intimidating pairing. Well done Green. 

Which is why I would be reluctant to deal Edler.  Why mess with something that works?  You need some semblance of a blueline when Demko's plays with the parent club next season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another great point, Alf. Maybe Edler's agent is working the phones on another deal and doesn't need to respond to the gnats flying around his head.

Usually Dhaliwal is pretty good about his Tweets, but this one appears he didn't think through before posting.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Usually Dhaliwal is pretty good about his Tweets, but this one appears he didn't think through before posting.  

Rick needs to resist the urge to join the dark side.

Here's the latest picture of Tony Gallagher at a meeting with his literal pee-ons at Province HQ.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/9/2018 at 12:28 PM, aGENT said:

People like to say this and if the entire game was only played in the defensive end (though it seems like that some nights lately :lol: ) I might agree

I'm with you.  Tanev is clearly our best DEFENSIVE player.  But let's face it - as elite as he is in that regard, he's extremely one dimensional.

Edler has a far better rounded toolbox. Besides the scoring, we've actually seen just a little of that old-school physicality coming back too.  To be honest, I'm pretty impressed - and I was already trying to defend him at the start of the season against people who said he was terrible. The real issue with Edler is and always has been that he was expected to be a really high end/elite player and he never realized that potential - yet as the best defenseman we've had on the team for years he's always been expected to be that guy anyway. And to be fair, his atrocious +/- over the last few years has been pretty hard to ignore.

If he maintains this resurgence, I could even see us re-signing him at the end of his contract.  He's not what we really *need*, but he'd make a good stop-gap for a couple of years in a middle to bottom pairing role.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2