The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

On 2/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, kloubek said:

I'm with you.  Tanev is clearly our best DEFENSIVE player.  But let's face it - as elite as he is in that regard, he's extremely one dimensional.

Edler has a far better rounded toolbox. Besides the scoring, we've actually seen just a little of that old-school physicality coming back too.  To be honest, I'm pretty impressed - and I was already trying to defend him at the start of the season against people who said he was terrible. The real issue with Edler is and always has been that he was expected to be a really high end/elite player and he never realized that potential - yet as the best defenseman we've had on the team for years he's always been expected to be that guy anyway. And to be fair, his atrocious +/- over the last few years has been pretty hard to ignore.

If he maintains this resurgence, I could even see us re-signing him at the end of his contract.  He's not what we really *need*, but he'd make a good stop-gap for a couple of years in a middle to bottom pairing role.

Hard to add to your analysis. +++  Edler shocked the org when he broke in and never got that opportunity to ease himself into the league. He was thrown into it from the get go. I think he is so close to the Twins as they took him under their wing and helped out a pretty young kid from northern Sweden.

What happened to Edler is/was standard for young Canuck talent. Hopefully Hutton will be the last. 

Edited by Boudrias

For all you why won't Edler wave.   See linden presser.   Nothing serious was presented so we didn't talk to him says L.  That is how it works people, even with a NTC.    

Edler is a top D and the return on him would have to be very substantial.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

let's not forget now Edler is one point away from tying Ohlund for top point scoring defenseman ( 325 points ) in Canucks history! 

I had actually forgotten to check on this. Crazy! I hope he gets a heck of an ovation when he makes it. He gets more hate than he deserves IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Not a surprise now, I know, but while jumping into 19th in all-time Canuck scoring Edler is now also the highest scoring defenseman.  Congrats Eddy!

18.  Cliff Ronning C 366 112 216 328
19.  Alexander Edler D 741 80 246 326
20.  Mattias Ohlund D 770 93 232 325
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Can we give props to both Edler and Sutter who stood up for Guddy after the nut shot? Warms my heart to see Eddy stand up for his teammate that way.

I would have felt a lot better if Edler had come over the top and cold cocked that NYR. At some point you have to stop talking the talk and actually take action. Granlund was a no show, How many shots has Boeser taken with no push back? The culture of turning the other cheek or grinning after every face wash has to change. 

There are too many young rookies coming in the next 3 years to have a rep around the NHL that you can take advantage without risk. 

Edited by Boudrias

Eddy has played outstanding for the last month or so. Hes hitting,clearing the crease more, His shots are actually getting through, his all around game is up 2 fold.My question is this, is the decision whether  the Sedins do not play next year already been determined. If they are not being resigned i can see Eddy working his arse off to be  more attractive to a larger pool of predicted playoff bound teams. Maybe the team Eddy would wave for isn't interested because of his last 2 yrs of mediocrity.Or is there another reason for this abnomally that is Eddy's play of late.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Boeser needed to pass to Edler more. :bigblush:

It's still arguable that his 2012-13 could be more productive. That season had a 0.488 points-per-game wheras this year has a .484 points-per-game. Pretty similar, but it's hard to shake those 8 goals in 45 games.

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Just out of curiosity, I was looking at some of our guys career stats. Looking at Edlers stats, something came out to show that he really is playing well this year.

If you take away Edler's power play points, this year is his 2nd best year scoring. His career high, not using PP points, is 17; right now he is at 16 non-PP points. Kinda striking when you look at it. Combined with his somewhat renewed physicality, I'm beginning to be a little more convinced that he is just about as valuable to the team as Tanev, if not a little more.

I never realized how much he relied on ppp  for his production. Good find.