The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

- Edler is one of only 11 Canuck defensemen to ever win a face-off. In fact, Edler is 2nd all-time among Canucks with 8 face-off wins on 19 attempts for a face-off percentage of 42.1%, giving him a face-off percentage just 0.2 percentage points below Connor McDavid's career average of 42.3%.

WTF, how and why did he ever take 19 faceoffs?!

51 minutes ago, J-P said:

WTF, how and why did he ever take 19 faceoffs?!

Likely other players being kicked out of the faceoff dot. If two forwards got kicked out on the PK, a d-man would have to take it, for example.

The way this team is going I'd rather keep him for a playoff push. Even if we were to sneak into the playoffs, even a 4 game sweep would be invaluable for the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and our young defence.

The 2nd round pick or prospect we might get back from Edler would be nice, but you can't quantify the value a playoff game would be to our kids. That's why I think we should keep Edler.

If we're well and truly out of a playoff spot then sure go for it, Edler for picks or prospects, but if we've even got a chance we should keep him around because even playing in important games down the stretch would be huge for our kids so they can learn what it takes to win important games rather than these throw away 7-6 OT games early in the season.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

If Hamonic is worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, Edler is worth at least that.

Except Hamonic is 28 and in his prime while Edler is 32 and in the decline. That age difference does tend to make a difference.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but to expect Edler to be worth more is wishful thinking at best.

• Upvote 2

I know its just a small sample of games, but we have done very well without Edler . I dont think his loss would be as big as an impact as people think. This team is built on its youth upfront and will live and die by how our goaltending does. If a team would be willing to trade a decent prospect or late 1st round pick then id be happy to move him.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, TheAce said:

I know its just a small sample of games, but we have done very well without Edler . I dont think his loss would be as big as an impact as people think. This team is built on its youth upfront and will live and die by how our goaltending does. If a team would be willing to trade a decent prospect or late 1st round pick then id be happy to move him.

You said it right off the bat.  It's a small sample size. Put this kind of stress on our goaltending and defense through an entire season and the strain will show.  Edler is nothing amazing but he's our best all-around defenseman.  The fact this team has accomplished what it has without him and the other injured is pretty astounding - but can't last imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, The Lock said:

Except Hamonic is 28 and in his prime while Edler is 32 and in the decline. That age difference does tend to make a difference.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but to expect Edler to be worth more is wishful thinking at best.

But tone down your comparison because Edler's averaged 0.442 ppg over his career while Hamonic averged 0.302.  Edler's best season was 49 points, Hamonics was 33.  Edler's still got a lot of value to the right team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheAce said:

The difference team GAA and SV% with and without Edler this year is dramatic.   Seems team scores more goals when he is not in lineup but in terms of goals against and SV%, it isn't even close (the difference).   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The difference team GAA and SV% with and without Edler this year is dramatic.   Seems team scores more goals when he is not in lineup but in terms of goals against and SV%, it isn't even close (the difference).   

Freaking baffling :lol:

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

But tone down your comparison because Edler's averaged 0.442 ppg over his career while Hamonic averged 0.302.  Edler's best season was 49 points, Hamonics was 33.  Edler's still got a lot of value to the right team.

Especially considering Edler is on an expiring contract.  At the TDL a team that thinks they’re close to the Cup would pay a lot for Edler.  I’d say a first, and a good prospect for sure.  

18 hours ago, kloubek said:

You said it right off the bat.  It's a small sample size. Put this kind of stress on our goaltending and defense through an entire season and the strain will show.  Edler is nothing amazing but he's our best all-around defenseman.  The fact this team has accomplished what it has without him and the other injured is pretty astounding - but can't last imo.

Small sample size that I doubt would stand up over a season. I still would move Tanev before Edler based on perceived value. Re-sign Edler on shorter term with a limited no-trade. RHD would have Hughes, Guddy, Stecher, Biega and Pouliot has moved to the right side in the past. A Tanev trade should/could bring back a 'd' prospect.  

Mark Stowe (Alex Edler’s agent) on Sportsnet 650:

“Alex is progressing and is on schedule for his return. No talks with Vancouver yet on a contract but, Alex wants to stay in Vancouver. There needs to be a meeting of the minds but we need the Canucks to make the first step.”

"The problem from my side as his rep, there is no guarantee they can bring him back. If he waives, no guarantee the Canucks can re-sign him July 1st. It's wishing and hoping and speculation."

On the fans and media fascination for Edler to waive his NTC: "Fascination might be putting it mildly it's an obsession."

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2018 at 8:23 AM, Boudrias said:

Small sample size that I doubt would stand up over a season. I still would move Tanev before Edler based on perceived value. Re-sign Edler on shorter term with a limited no-trade. RHD would have Hughes, Guddy, Stecher, Biega and Pouliot has moved to the right side in the past. A Tanev trade should/could bring back a 'd' prospect.  

I think we're finally starting to see the effects the last few games. Guys playing over their heads are starting to look it.

And all of this is not likely helped by what appears to be Markstrom playing through some nagging issue. You know you're goalie's hurt you're going to sit back and try to cover for him, take less chances, press less offensively. Sounds a lot like the last few games....

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think we're finally starting to see the effects the last few games. Guys playing over their heads are starting to look it.

And all of this is not likely helped by what appears to be Markstrom playing through some nagging issue.

You mean since Edler's also at least half a goalie? :P

And yeah, it reallys shows now that he's missing on D...

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mark Stowe (Alex Edler’s agent) on Sportsnet 650:

“Alex is progressing and is on schedule for his return. No talks with Vancouver yet on a contract but, Alex wants to stay in Vancouver. There needs to be a meeting of the minds but we need the Canucks to make the first step.”

"The problem from my side as his rep, there is no guarantee they can bring him back. If he waives, no guarantee the Canucks can re-sign him July 1st. It's wishing and hoping and speculation."

On the fans and media fascination for Edler to waive his NTC: "Fascination might be putting it mildly it's an obsession."

Good on Stowe for calling it like it is.