The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We can easily get a first round pick for him at the deadline, PLUS a prospect.  Question is where will we be at the deadline?  Just hope he continues his great play so that he becomes as valuable as possible at the deadline...

I’m torn with this in my head a part of me thinks we can ride EP and horvat to the playoffs and once you make it to the playoffs anything can happen. Or I just miss good old playoff hockey to much

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think if you're looking at an Edler with an extra year left, you might be right. Given his pending UFA status, I'd say his value is considerably lower than that.

I think Washington gives us their first round pick and doesn't blink.  They can throw in Burakovsky for good measure as they would have to unload cap space...

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

We gotta move Edler, he's a trooper so he might actually waive his ntc for the good of the team and he is a competitive guy so competing for a cup somewhere ain't all that bad.  Maybe they work some sort of deal to throw him a little extra cash this off-season if he agrees to waive...which is collusion and not allowed but gmjb don't give a F

Honestly, I can't see Edler playing well anywhere else. His heart is in Vancouver and if other GMs catch a whiff of that, I think they might steer clear. I could see his game falling off a cliff if he was traded.

We're one point out of the playoffs !! Can you imagine going into the post season with [ Brisebois, McEneny, 'other'] instead of Edler. I like our AHL guys, but they cannot replace 22min of playing against other teams' top lines. Really, take off the 'shiny toy' goggles and join reality. If we're anywhere near a playoff spot, Edler stays.

The armchair gm folk have us losing Edler, Tanev and Sutter ! (.....insert primal scream here !! )

33 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

We're one point out of the playoffs !! Can you imagine going into the post season with [ Brisebois, McEneny, 'other'] instead of Edler. I like our AHL guys, but they cannot replace 22min of playing against other teams' top lines. Really, take off the 'shiny toy' goggles and join reality. If we're anywhere near a playoff spot, Edler stays.

The armchair gm folk have us losing Edler, Tanev and Sutter ! (.....insert primal scream here !! )

Remember losing Jovo for nothing while simultaneously missing the playoffs?

It would suck to lose Edler but I don't see Benning bungling stuff like Nonis.

• Wat 1

23 minutes ago, nzan said:

Remember losing Jovo for nothing while simultaneously missing the playoffs?

It would suck to lose Edler but I don't see Benning bungling stuff like Nonis.

I don't recall the Jovo story. Looked up the season and notice we were 3 points behind Edmonton for that 8th spot in the West. Probably too close to be moving a top dman at the TDL. Also notice that both Jovo and Salo had reduced games that year. If one or both were injured at the TDL, it would have made it even harder, for us, to trade Jovo. I notice, too, that that was Baumgartner's big year. Pretty hard to put your prime minutes on NB. He was kind of soft, if I remember correctly.

Did the 'nucks try to re-sign Jovo ? I don't recall !

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

We gotta move Edler, he's a trooper so he might actually waive his ntc for the good of the team and he is a competitive guy so competing for a cup somewhere ain't all that bad.  Maybe they work some sort of deal to throw him a little extra cash this off-season if he agrees to waive...which is collusion and not allowed but gmjb don't give a F

Would love to move Edler at the TDL with a guarantee to him that he is resigned as a UFA in the summer. With his season to date Edler brings back a 1st Rdr. He is attractive because he is a top pairing 'D' on most teams. On a CUP contender he is top 4. Van could easily retain salary to increase his worth to CAP strapped acquirers. I ranked Tanev higher in worth until this season but not now. The attraction of moving a Edler or Tanev has to go up with Benning as the Canucks draft position sinks. A 2nd 1st Rdr gves him options come draft day.  

• Upvote 1

FWIW:

No idea the validity of his sources or even when he claims this had happened, but things can be different by the time the TDL rolls around.  If the Canucks are in the hunt then yes, an Edler trade is much less likely.  So far the way they're projecting, unless we're hit with injuries to critical players again it looks like we'll be there.

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I don't recall the Jovo story. Looked up the season and notice we were 3 points behind Edmonton for that 8th spot in the West. Probably too close to be moving a top dman at the TDL. Also notice that both Jovo and Salo had reduced games that year. If one or both were injured at the TDL, it would have made it even harder, for us, to trade Jovo. I notice, too, that that was Baumgartner's big year. Pretty hard to put your prime minutes on NB. He was kind of soft, if I remember correctly.

Did the 'nucks try to re-sign Jovo ? I don't recall !

That was perhaps the best lineup the Canucks ever had believe it or not - (I'll expect some flaming for that) it's arguable for sure, but it was great. The WCE was still legit and the Sedins were finally really coming into their own. The D had Salo, Ohlund and Jovo - 3 of the all-time great Canuck defencemen - plus Allen and Bieksa. We didn't have Luongo yet...but I liked Cloutier more than most.

At the deadline Nonis stated that you don't trade away a great player when you're trying to make a playoff push - I guess he was right, but we subsequently imploded over the last part of the season to unbelievably miss the playoffs. He then didn't even offer Jovo a lowball contract - he just let him walk expecting that he would cost too much. 

Jovo later stated that he would have at least liked to hear an offer.

It's not even close to the same situation as we're in right now, I just wish we would have gotten something out of that opportunity.

3 minutes ago, nzan said:

That was perhaps the best lineup the Canucks ever had believe it or not - (I'll expect some flaming for that) it's arguable for sure, but it was great. The WCE was still legit and the Sedins were finally really coming into their own. The D had Salo, Ohlund and Jovo - 3 of the all-time great Canuck defencemen - plus Allen and Bieksa. We didn't have Luongo yet...but I liked Cloutier more than most.

At the deadline Nonis stated that you don't trade away a great player when you're trying to make a playoff push - I guess he was right, but we subsequently imploded over the last part of the season to unbelievably miss the playoffs. He then didn't even offer Jovo a lowball contract - he just let him walk expecting that he would cost too much. 

Jovo later stated that he would have at least liked to hear an offer.

It's not even close to the same situation as we're in right now, I just wish we would have gotten something out of that opportunity.

I'm sure Nonis did some good stuff, but TDL 2006 was a disaster. 2x 2nd, 1x 3rd and 1x 4th traded away for zilch. Who knows what pressure he was getting from ownership and why he didn't try to re-sign Jovo. If JB pulled a move like this, he would be thrown out of town !

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I'm sure Nonis did some good stuff, but TDL 2006 was a disaster. 2x 2nd, 1x 3rd and 1x 4th traded away for zilch. Who knows what pressure he was getting from ownership and why he didn't try to re-sign Jovo. If JB pulled a move like this, he would be thrown out of town !

he did one good stuff - he got us luongo

other than that it's pretty slim pickins

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Edler has 14 points in 23 games right now. If he were to play 82 games, that puts him on pace for 50 points, which would be a career best. Amazing that he's playing so well at his age.

And Burke thinks he's long in the tooth pfft.

Best Dman in Canucks history, and I think he gets re-signed.

Edited by NUCKER67

7 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Our games played give a misleading picture of us and the playoff race. We've played more games than anyone else in the league and therefore have had more chances to pick up points than anyone else. By point-percentage, we're 6th in the Pacific and 11th in the West. We're still a fair ways out of playoff contention.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Our games played give a misleading picture of us and the playoff race. We've played more games than anyone else in the league and therefore have had more chances to pick up points than anyone else. By point-percentage, we're 6th in the Pacific and 11th in the West. We're still a fair ways out of playoff contention.

Okay......should have put an '*' next to one point away from a playoff spot ! Doesn't really change the fact that going into post season play without Edler (..or Tanev, or Sutter ) would put us in a tough spot. All of this chatter about draft picks for Edler/ Tanev/ Sutter goes away if we are close to a playoff spot leading up to the TDL. At the moment, we are one point* away from a playoff spot. In the week before TDL the picture will be much clearer ( obviously ).

He’s been a good damn for us. If we can turn him into picks and prospects then we should. 

His best years are contact years, 

tanev is not a contact player and is probably one of the best defensive dmen in the league he should also be turned into  futures. 

Niether of these guys will be effective when the Nucks are true contenders again but the pieces that could get us should be. 

Or hold on to them and use the “mentor” and “veteran leadership” nonsense and get nothing. Keep grasping at straws of a “playoff team” instead of a future CUP team. 

9 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Gotta disagree. First, it's got nothing to do with shiny toy goggles. I think management has a plan, and it's building for a contender in a couple years. Any playoffs this year is a bonus, not the focus.

So if we can move Edler to help build that, we do. Playoffs or otherwise.

That said, it's still largely up to Edler whether that happens or not.

On December 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM, -AJ- said:

I really like the idea of trading veterans for young high end prospects or high draft picks..

Trading Edler would be a big hole that nobody could fill at this time. This D man is the main guy and logging between 22 -25 mins per game playing all roles PP, PK and regular shifts...I agree only way you trade Edler is if your 8 points out of wild card race at trade deadline...I can see trading Sutter we have played great without him.. Trade Sutter for good prospect or 2nd round pick..

This team is so fun to watch..They play with emotion and work there asses off every game..So many young guys to get excited about, Pettersson, Horvat, Boser, Virtanen, Goldy, Hughes, Juolevi, Demko, Woo, Gaudette, Dahlen..

Veteran Markstrom playing great, Gudbranson is playing the way he did in Florida.. Strong play of Edler, Tanev, Motte, Roussel..

Go Canucks Go