The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

His ice time has actually gone up since then. :shock:

Baumgartner has been poorly managing the minutes for the D-core.  Surprised that he got an extension, if anything, this year should've been a wait and see kind of year.

I look squarely at the Bo Horvat penalty and how that was managed from the bench.  That unit including Edler and Tanev got stuck on the PK for the full 2 mins duration.  Beagle takes a penalty, and Baumer elects to send Edler and Tanev right back out.  They were clearly gassed leading to Tanev getting hurt by a shot, and Edler looking totally spent.

TG and Baumer need to manage minutes wayyyy better.  We have the depth now, time to use it.  If they aren't careful Edler is going to get hurt and it will be one that should've been avoided by limiting his minutes.

• Upvote 1

Edler is what you see.  A body filling a position with flashes of brilliance now and again.  The biggest setback in my opinion is him taking unnecessary penalties.  If you have chased a guy into the corner great.  Staple him there or get back into position and let the back checkers take over.  He ends up reaching and hooking time and time again.  Then realizes he is out of position.  This could be said for all our defense but it seems Edler is good for one or two bonehead penalties a game.  The PK, although pretty good just can't be relied on to bail him out.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Edler is what you see.  A body filling a position with flashes of brilliance now and again.  The biggest setback in my opinion is him taking unnecessary penalties.  If you have chased a guy into the corner great.  Staple him there or get back into position and let the back checkers take over.  He ends up reaching and hooking time and time again.  Then realizes he is out of position.  This could be said for all our defense but it seems Edler is good for one or two bonehead penalties a game.  The PK, although pretty good just can't be relied on to bail him out.

Edler has always taken bad penalties (kind of like Henrik), but he seems to get in trouble more often this season.  I was hoping that the coaches would play him more reasonable minutes, but I think they are sheltering Quinn (for the time being) and don't really want to rely too much on Benn.

• 3 weeks later...

In fairness, sometimes one can’t look at Edler and think that the same player is playing that played the game before, but in fairness to Edler, he plays hurt a lot because we pretty much need him to play every game. He blocks a ton of shots and takes (and delivers) a ton of heavy hits. In a perfect world, Juolevi would not have missed so much development time through injury so that he could be ready to take over Edler’s role when Edler is not 100% - good for Edler and good for Juolevi’s development.

Another poster claims Edler's shots from the point on the power play are just fluff and not very good.  So I will just post the Vancouver Canucks ALL TIME NHL LEADERS below:

dubas.PNG.5c2bb3aa918a2f3d6c5828085f473863.PNG

Oh look,  Edler is the 2nd best Canuck defense man  in history for ppgs.  The narrative that his shot is crap on the pp is ridiculous imo.

• Cheers 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Another poster claims Edler's shots from the point on the power play are just fluff and not very good.  So I will just post the Vancouver Canucks ALL TIME NHL LEADERS below:

dubas.PNG.5c2bb3aa918a2f3d6c5828085f473863.PNG

Oh look,  Edler is the 2nd best Canuck defense man  in history for ppgs.  The narrative that his shot is crap on the pp is ridiculous imo.

As fast as Hughes is progressing I still think Edler plays the best 200' game. That said Hughes is ideal on the 1PP. Edler's physical game is sorely missed. Other than Benn the backend does not have much physicality. That is where Tryamkin could step in and shine. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Anyone know our record with vs without Edler? It's getting ugly without our top defender

This year, we're 3-4 without him with 3.42 goals against per game. With him, we're 13-10-4 and 3.00 goals against per game.

I'd be curious as to those same stats over the last 5 years or so, because it seems like every year when he goes down, we suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

No surprise this team goes on a winning streak when Edler returns. He's scoring at a 50 point pace and is by far our MVP.

This team can score without Petey, Brock or Miller, but with Edler out we've seen the team crumble. With him back he gives us so much confidence.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1