Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

A healthy and well rested Edler will pay dividends in the play ins and beyond.

 

Even strength and on the PP

 

 

 

Of course the flipside to that is a noticeably worse performance on the PP. Last year he had 17 PP points in 56 games and he had just 7 PP points in 59 games this year. That's definitely the Quinn Hughes effect more than Edler himself though. Eddie doesn't get #1 PP time as much anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Of course the flipside to that is a noticeably worse performance on the PP. Last year he had 17 PP points in 56 games and he had just 7 PP points in 59 games this year. That's definitely the Quinn Hughes effect more than Edler himself though. Eddie doesn't get #1 PP time as much anymore.

Also worthy of note that he is no longer on the 2nd PP unit after his injury in November. Myers ran the 2nd PP and the 2nd PP was pretty decent, so Green never bothered changing the set up. So Edler is only out for PP if the Canucks are up a goal or two and late in the third, and they just throw him in as the extra-defenseman trying to prevent SHG against late in the game.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Also worthy of note that he is no longer on the 2nd PP unit after his injury in November. Myers ran the 2nd PP and the 2nd PP was pretty decent, so Green never bothered changing the set up. So Edler is only out for PP if the Canucks are up a goal or two and late in the third, and they just throw him in as the extra-defenseman trying to prevent SHG against late in the game.

Hm, I didn't realize that. Given Edler's proficiency on the PP in the past, I do question that decision, even if Myers is alright. I'm sure Myers is fine, but I'm not sure he'd be better than Edler, especially with Edler's strong offensive vision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Edler is ready to play!!

 

Great read here.

 

Ben Kuzma: Chasing fitness fanatic Sedins could help Edler extend NHL career

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-chasing-fitness-fanatic-sedins-could-help-edler-extend-nhl-career

Just hoping he retires a Canuck.  Great example for our young players with his commitment to fitness and continued improvement.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Honestly if Edler is out for the whole series, that is a massive blow to our team and will make the series much much harder. Benn is already not returning, so our back up defenders are the likes of Sautner or Rafferty most likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Seems to be not that bad. Was cut by Myers' stick. If it was a serious cut we'd probably be hearing a lot more about it.

I guess Miller's commentary on Myers' defending was spot on.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
August 26, 2020 01:04 AM
Canucks' Alexander Edler: Provides pair of assists
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

 

Edler recorded two assists, four blocked shots, four PIM and a plus-4 rating in Tuesday's 5-2 win over Vegas in Game 2.

Edler set up Elias Pettersson for a second-period tally and added the secondary helper on Bo Horvat's goal early in the third. The all-around strong effort from Edler gave him six assists, 45 blocked shots, 16 PIM and a plus-5 rating through 12 contests.

 

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Edler is the best defenseman the Canucks have ever had based on long term stats in almost every category.

I think I would enact a slight change of words choice as say he's the greatest Canuck defenseman. To me "Best" doesn't imply longevity whereas "Greatest" does. As for defensemen in the short-term, there are others like Jefff Brown, Paul Reinhart, Christian Ehrhoff, and even maybe Quinn Hughes who have, even in their short stints, been better players than Edler, but obviously didn't last very long with the Canucks (in Hughes' case, just not yet).

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think I would enact a slight change of words choice as say he's the greatest Canuck defenseman. To me "Best" doesn't imply longevity whereas "Greatest" does. As for defensemen in the short-term, there are others like Jefff Brown, Paul Reinhart, Christian Ehrhoff, and even maybe Quinn Hughes who have, even in their short stints, been better players than Edler, but obviously didn't last very long with the Canucks (in Hughes' case, just not yet).

I would include Mattias Ohlund in that conversation as well. Although maybe not the best skater, he could hit like a Mac Truck and gave the Canucks an imposing presence on the back end.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...