Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

ROH candidate the moment he retires.

 

This guy gets so much crap from me and fans alike, but without him on our blueline for the years he has been here, man we would be in trouble. Mad respect for Eddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

ROH candidate the moment he retires.

 

This guy gets so much crap from me and fans alike, but without him on our blueline for the years he has been here, man we would be in trouble. Mad respect for Eddy.

It's too bad he's obviously slowing down this year. I had hoped he could keep going until he was 40 or something and at that point, a discussion could be open for jersey retirement, but as it is, he's a lock for the ROH I think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

ROH candidate the moment he retires.

 

This guy gets so much crap from me and fans alike, but without him on our blueline for the years he has been here, man we would be in trouble. Mad respect for Eddy.

Bang on! He has been the #1 for many years. Van has so many d- prospects I don't know how they keep Eddy. They have to get TOI. If the vet core is Meyers, Shultz, Huggy can Edler outplay Hamonic? Does Hamonic get resigned over Eddie? Some how they have to make room for Joulevi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, Boudrias said:

Bang on! He has been the #1 for many years. Van has so many d- prospects I don't know how they keep Eddy. They have to get TOI. If the vet core is Meyers, Shultz, Huggy can Edler outplay Hamonic? Does Hamonic get resigned over Eddie? Some how they have to make room for Joulevi. 

I don't know what others think about this but I am starting to think Rathbone maybe better than OJ, even right now.  Watching him play and skate with confidence in Utica has been quite amazing to watch even though he has only played 3 games I think...?  I think he is 5' 11" and around close to 200 lb.  He is really built like a mac truck.  I think strength and speed is making him look like he doesn't belong in Utica and belongs in Vancouver playing a regular shift on the second or third defensive pairing, ahead of OJ.  What do you think? B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I don't know what others think about this but I am starting to think Rathbone maybe better than OJ, even right now.  Watching him play and skate with confidence in Utica has been quite amazing to watch even though he has only played 3 games I think...?  I think he is 5' 11" and around close to 200 lb.  He is really built like a mac truck.  I think strength and speed is making him look like he doesn't belong in Utica and belongs in Vancouver playing a regular shift on the second or third defensive pairing, ahead of OJ.  What do you think? B)

I think ..... you're right. Strikes me that Rathbone could be a dynamic chnage up. Apart from Hughes  ( and he surely has his flaws) we don't have any dynamic D players that can chnage a game. Rathbone has a chnace to be that guy. I was sorry that Green did the one and out for Rafferty  ( I suppose Green is looking after his job ) but this crummy season was the time to push players such as Rathbone and Rafferty to chnage the sills associated with a Vcr D corp. The season will end and there's going to be mutters about why wasn't youngsters given playing time

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don't know what others think about this but I am starting to think Rathbone maybe better than OJ, even right now.  Watching him play and skate with confidence in Utica has been quite amazing to watch even though he has only played 3 games I think...?  I think he is 5' 11" and around close to 200 lb.  He is really built like a mac truck.  I think strength and speed is making him look like he doesn't belong in Utica and belongs in Vancouver playing a regular shift on the second or third defensive pairing, ahead of OJ.  What do you think? B)

I think Rathbone is certainly more dynamic and 'noticeable'.

 

That does not however make him 'better'.

 

I'm quite happy to have both as they have different and complimentary skill sets. Where that leaves us with re-signing Edler is certainly a good question. And I agree with others that we should seriously consider re-signing Hamonic (after the ED).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Now it’s time to cheer for our defense blocking specialist that must be hard as iron.

 

He got himself into a top ten, all time high in NHL, blocking shots. 
1722 blocked shots so far. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Now it’s time to cheer for our defense blocking specialist that must be hard as iron.

 

He got himself into a top ten, all time high in NHL, blocking shots. 
1722 blocked shots so far. 
 

Until last year our shot blocking specialist was Tanev. Edler was, is and will always be a screening-our-own-goalie-while-trying-to-block-shot specialist. 
time to let him go, and signing Hamonic + Tryamkin, both of them have strong blocking shots capabilities. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Until last year our shot blocking specialist was Tanev. Edler was, is and will always be a screening-our-own-goalie-while-trying-to-block-shot specialist. 
time to let him go, and signing Hamonic + Tryamkin, both of them have strong blocking shots capabilities. 

 

I'm not sure what your post have with Edler being in an top ten all time top list in NHL!??

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not sure what your post have with Edler being in an top ten all time top list in NHL!??

 

 

My post is related to the cult of Edler the shot blocker for whom you want us to cheer for.  For any shot he had blocked, how many went in due to the screen he provides to our goalie ? 
i guess he has reach the top 3 all time in this list. 

Time to move on from Edler. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

 For any shot he had blocked, how many went in due to the screen he provides to our goalie ? 
i guess he has reach the top 3 all time in this list. 

I wonder if that is because he has played over 900 regular season games?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder if that is because he has played over 900 regular season games?

wonderfull career for sure. now, i don't see your argument carring your point any further.
the only things that should interesting us is how does he do now. Not how good he was 400 games ago.
And the least we could say, its he's washed up.
Allow him to play for a contender could be a really classy manner to let him call it a career. (and bringing back a draft pick in the process isn't hurting).

now don't get me wrong. I'm not in a crusader against Edler, i want everythings good for this team ; and i just think Elder is not part of the future for the sake of the Canucks. As a nucks fan since the 94' run, i saw soooo many wrong decisions that have been taken since then, i just want to avoid some obvious ones.  

Edited by deus.ex.makina
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

My post is related to the cult of Edler the shot blocker for whom you want us to cheer for.  For any shot he had blocked, how many went in due to the screen he provides to our goalie ? 
i guess he has reach the top 3 all time in this list. 

Time to move on from Edler. 

 

A cult of Edler has nothing to do with him earning credit for a special record.

 

I applaud every canuck player that achievs something like that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

A cult of Edler has nothing to do with him earning credit for a special record.

 

I applaud every canuck player that achievs something like that.

 

i dunno if you get my point or not, but at least i told you what i wanted to. 

good for Edler to break a new record. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, deus.ex.makina said:

i dunno if you get my point or not, but at least i told you what i wanted to. 

good for Edler to break a new record. 

Edler is on his way out. Either that or he’s gonna be cheap.

No need to talk about that when he got into a top ten list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

wonderfull career for sure. now, i don't see your argument carring your point any further.
the only things that should interesting us is how does he do now. Not how good he was 400 games ago.
And the least we could say, its he's washed up.
Allow him to play for a contender could be a really classy manner to let him call it a career. (and bringing back a draft pick in the process isn't hurting).

now don't get me wrong. I'm not in a crusader against Edler, i want everythings good for this team ; and i just think Elder is not part of the future for the sake of the Canucks. As a nucks fan since the 94' run, i saw soooo many wrong decisions that have been taken since then, i just want to avoid some obvious ones.  

Edler is not the player he was. True

Edler is  still atop 3 D man on this team.   True

Not sure how many times Edler has to turn down trade requests for people to figure out he doesn't want to and doesn't have to go anywhere else.

I'm hoping for a 1 yr deal at $4.5 mill NMC for next yr.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Edler is not the player he was. True

Edler is  still atop 3 D man on this team.   True

Not sure how many times Edler has to turn down trade requests for people to figure out he doesn't want to and doesn't have to go anywhere else.

I'm hoping for a 1 yr deal at $4.5 mill NMC for next yr.

It is a really tough call.  He is still a 2nd pairing D who can be used in all situations.

On the other hand, if we are still going to be taking a step back next season is it better to see if Rathbone is ready and go with a couple of young guys?  Or to pick up a younger top 4 D in the expansion process?

Is this management (or the one that will be in place by the offseason) creative enough to get 1-2 top 4D prior to expansion with our extra available protection slots for a deep discount... and then flip them after expansion for a higher price once they aren't at risk of being lost?  We could then gain assets AND then re-sign Edler as well.

I think a 3rd pairing of Edler and Tryamkin next season could really be our solid 5v5 match up guys, making sure Hughes doesn't have to carry a huge workload outside the power play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is a really tough call.  He is still a 2nd pairing D who can be used in all situations.

On the other hand, if we are still going to be taking a step back next season is it better to see if Rathbone is ready and go with a couple of young guys?  Or to pick up a younger top 4 D in the expansion process?

Is this management (or the one that will be in place by the offseason) creative enough to get 1-2 top 4D prior to expansion with our extra available protection slots for a deep discount... and then flip them after expansion for a higher price once they aren't at risk of being lost?  We could then gain assets AND then re-sign Edler as well.

I think a 3rd pairing of Edler and Tryamkin next season could really be our solid 5v5 match up guys, making sure Hughes doesn't have to carry a huge workload outside the power play.

Given a choice between Edler and Ollie, I dress Ollie or Rathbone for that matter.

Edler is mostly done  but the other 2  are just getting started.

If I was the G.M. I'd pull Travis Green aside and tell him "You will play these players, on my instruction, you will not lose your job because of how they play.  You will however be judged on how the others do".

This year was a write off quite quickly and should be nothing more than development time for next season.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurn said:

Given a choice between Edler and Ollie, I dress Ollie or Rathbone for that matter.

Edler is mostly done  but the other 2  are just getting started.

If I was the G.M. I'd pull Travis Green aside and tell him "You will play these players, on my instruction, you will not lose your job because of how they play.  You will however be judged on how the others do".

This year was a write off quite quickly and should be nothing more than development time for next season.

 

 

I think the gist of what you are saying will happen once the Canucks are past the trade deadline. You will see a number of veterans especially on the D; get rotated in and out of the remaining games in order to give the up and coming players a taste of the NHL and also to better evaluate where they are at development wise.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...