The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

I don't think I've ever been on the fence on a player more than Edler.  We need to improve our D, that is obvious, and bringing back the same group will not accomplish that.  Hughes isn't going anywhere, Myers had a pretty nice season despite what some say, Hamonic was very good, Rathbone looks ready, so does Juolevi.  I think Schmidt needs another year more normal season before comsider moving him.  I hate to say it, but Edler looks to be the odd man out, as I'm sure JB will be looking to bring in at least 1 new Dman.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:52 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I think after this season, Edler needs to make a decision first if he wants another year. If he does, he'll sign after the expansion draft so that we don't have to protect him, is my understanding.

I think he still has some gas in the tank, but he's showing signs that the end is coming. If he stays, I think he needs to be used even more sparingly next season, maybe drop down to 3rd pairing and penalty kill.

• Cheers 3

On 5/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, BCNate said:

I'm sure JB will be looking to bring in at least 1 new Dman.

That is certainly a possibility but we really won't know til after FA is well underway and possibly a few trades are made as well.

I still think that all of this will happen after the expansion draft at least as far as players go. Travis and Co. are another matter.

If they want to keep him onboard, they should push to re-sign him before seasons end. They may even get out bid for his services if they do not sign him before his contract expires.

I would like him to be re-signed but his cohorts need to be replaced IMO.

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am fine with that as long as the price and term to sign him are reasonable.

IMO, ballpark numbers  1.5 to 2.5 Mil and only on 1 yr term. Any more than that could become a cap problem.

I do like @aGENT idea of platooning / rotating Edler, Rathbone and Juolevi  throughout the season. IMO it would benefit all of them and help them be more effective when on the ice. More down time between game for Edler to rest and recover and more video review and practice time for JR and OJ.

Yeah, I think anything $2M or under and a 1-year deal would be perfect. I could live with two years, but at his age and decline, 1 year is safer.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:40 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I think after this season, Edler needs to make a decision first if he wants another year. If he does, he'll sign after the expansion draft so that we don't have to protect him, is my understanding.

I think he still has some gas in the tank, but he's showing signs that the end is coming. If he stays, I think he needs to be used even more sparingly next season, maybe drop down to 3rd pairing and penalty kill.

The problem is, if he does come back, there is pretty much no chance Green uses him as a 3rd pairing guy and manages him with lower minutes. And it limits the opportunity for Schmidt to become more what he was in Vegas, which we definitely need him to be.

The main need on D is a top pairing type guy who can play effectively with Hughes. Its a long shot to get that though.

I liked what I saw from Rathbone at both ends. Juolevi could be a good 3rd pairing guy too. Just needs more games.

Hughes-top pair rhd all around guy

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

I would be ok with that.

If Juolevi isnt in the plans, 

Schmidt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

I would be ok with that too. 

Like I said,probably wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is, if he does come back, there is pretty much no chance Green uses him as a 3rd pairing guy and manages him with lower minutes. And it limits the opportunity for Schmidt to become more what he was in Vegas, which we definitely need him to be.

The main need on D is a top pairing type guy who can play effectively with Hughes. Its a long shot to get that though.

I liked what I saw from Rathbone at both ends. Juolevi could be a good 3rd pairing guy too. Just needs more games.

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

I would be ok with that.

Schmidt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

It will be interesting to see what the team does here. I'd like to see Edler finish his career in Vancouver, but at the same time, I agree that it might be time for him to move on as part of our defensive zone overhaul.

Assuming that we don't win the lottery (would be shocked if the league let us do that), maybe flip the 9th OA to Tampa for Cernak and a 3rd round pick?

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

maybe flip the 9th OA to Tampa for Cernak and a 3rd round pick?

Boy... that would certainly cause an uproar on here LOL.

Given his age and contract, that is a deal I would consider if I was JB. Cernak is young (23) and under contract for two more years and is a RD with size and some skill.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Boy... that would certainly cause an uproar on here LOL.

Given his age and contract, that is a deal I would consider if I was JB. Cernak is young (23) and under contract for two more years and is a RD with size and some skill.

I would happily make that deal, especially this year. Past the first 5 to 10 guys in this draft, there's a very limited book on any of them in terms of how they project as players. NO ONE saw them play this year for more than a few games. The draft is a crap shoot at the best of times, but it's even more so, this year. At number 9, we could easily wind up with a guy who should have been picked in the 2nd or 3rd round, just because there's no recent exposure to how or if he's developing.

If we don't win the lottery, I would happily flip the pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, BCNate said:

I don't think I've ever been on the fence on a player more than Edler.  We need to improve our D, that is obvious, and bringing back the same group will not accomplish that.  Hughes isn't going anywhere, Myers had a pretty nice season despite what some say, Hamonic was very good, Rathbone looks ready, so does Juolevi.  I think Schmidt needs another year more normal season before comsider moving him.  I hate to say it, but Edler looks to be the odd man out, as I'm sure JB will be looking to bring in at least 1 new Dman.

I sort of disagree with your assessment.

The eye test seems to suggest that Hamonic was very good, but IMO, he wasn't that good. He was somewhere below Tanev but above Stecher. I think he wasn't as good as Tanev at defending and moving the puck but better than Stecher in that he brought some size. 

I would be happy to bring back Hamonic as a bottom 6D and not as Hughes partner. If I were JB, upgrading RD would be my priority to give Hughes a reliable partner to work with.

Unless we can upgrade, I'd bring Edler back. IMO, Juolevi+Rathbone aren't quite ready for hard minutes and Hughes isn't going to take over any of Edler's hard minutes. That leaves our LD completely bare when it comes to defending. Edler at worst is going to be a good veteran depth defender if the kids are ready. Edler did take a bit of a step back so perhaps he can be brought back on a 1 or 2-year deal at a discount.

I wouldn't rush to sign or trade for a new LD (unless it's a clear win). Since we have a successors in the pipeline (Rathbone and Juolevi), I'd just ease these guys in under Edler's mentorship.

Hughes-new RD

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Hamonic

or 

Hughes-new RD

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers

If we are able to sign an RD like Larsson or Savard, I'd be willing to trade Schmidt to create some cap space and to upgrade our 3C.

Anyhow, I'd sign an RD, bring Edler back, and keep only one of Hamonic or Schmidt.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would happily make that deal, especially this year. Past the first 5 to 10 guys in this draft, there's a very limited book on any of them in terms of how they project as players. NO ONE saw them play this year for more than a few games. The draft is a crap shoot at the best of times, but it's even more so, this year. At number 9, we could easily wind up with a guy who should have been picked in the 2nd or 3rd round, just because there's no recent exposure to how or if he's developing.

If we don't win the lottery, I would happily flip the pick.

Trading 9th overall for a surefire young RD seems like a good idea.

Reminds me of Horvat (9th overall) for Schneider (young starting goalie) trade. This time, we are the one trading the pick for roster player.

If Tampa goes deep in the playoffs, I'd seriously try and see if I can get their 1st in return though (likely 24th overall or later). This draft is a crapshoot anyways so that 1st could become an important piece in 3 years time. Maybe our 1st (9th overall) + something for Cernak + TB's 1st?

But I hope we win the lottery and draft Power or Clarke. That would be equally great.

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

I would be ok with that.

Schmidt-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

This is pretty decent. But we are missing a LHD that can eat up tough minutes. Unfortunately, Schmidt isn't that guy.

I don't want to have another scenario where we lose tough minute man (Edler) without replacing him properly like we did when we lost Tanev and replaced him with Schmidt. 

Somehow, I've not been a great fan of Hamonic and don't think he replaced Tanev's duties well at all.

11 minutes ago, khay said:

This is pretty decent. But we are missing a LHD that can eat up tough minutes. Unfortunately, Schmidt isn't that guy.

I don't want to have another scenario where we lose tough minute man (Edler) without replacing him properly like we did when we lost Tanev and replaced him with Schmidt. 

Somehow, I've not been a great fan of Hamonic and don't think he replaced Tanev's duties well at all.

Schmidt was a pretty good big minute, all situations guy in Vegas. If they need to play him on the left side, I think he is more likely to be able to take on a bigger role than Edler is to not keep declining at this point. 

Edler playing so many hard minutes is - unfortunately - no longer really helping the team. They need to find a replacement for him for sure.

Schmidt-Hamonic could be a reasonable option for bigger minutes if the team can find a partner for Hughes.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Schmidt was a pretty good big minute, all situations guy in Vegas. If they need to play him on the left side, I think he is more likely to be able to take on a bigger role than Edler is to not keep declining at this point. 

Edler playing so many hard minutes is - unfortunately - no longer really helping the team. They need to find a replacement for him for sure.

Schmidt-Hamonic could be a reasonable option for bigger minutes if the team can find a partner for Hughes.

Not against trying Schmidt-Hamonic but I'd rather focus on upgrading RHD and 3C and let Rathbone and Juolevi develop.

Why spent assets/cap space to upgrade LD when we've got Rathbone and Juolevi that can work their way into those roles? They probably just need one full season. In the meantime, Edler can share some of those hard minutes with Rathbone and OJ and slowly fade out.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Not against trying Schmidt-Hamonic but I'd rather focus on upgrading RHD and 3C and let Rathbone and Juolevi develop.

Why spent assets/cap space to upgrade LD when we've got Rathbone and Juolevi that can work their way into those roles? They probably just need one full season. In the meantime, Edler can share some of those hard minutes with Rathbone and OJ and slowly fade out.

The problem is Green and Baumgartner will just ride Edler rather than sharing those hard minutes with Rathbone or Juolevi.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is Green and Baumgartner will just ride Edler rather than sharing those hard minutes with Rathbone or Juolevi.

Fair point. Hopefully Baumgartner will not be re-signed.