The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Realistically 2 million x 1 year with NMC after expansion draft   

I see your $2m and raise you $1.5m base salary with a 35+ contract, potential $1m bonus for games played (that can be deferred to next year if need be).

Edited by aGENT

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see your $2m and raise you $1.5m base salary with a 35+ contract, potential $1m bonus for games played (that can be deferred to next year).

I try to bring a Larsson or Savard to the table instead. We’ll have to see how many chips are left after we give Petey/Hughes their share of the pot. We might not have enough to attract them big name players to play at our table but we’ll see.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I fold and wait for a better hand. I try to bring a Larsson or Savard to the table. We’ll have to see how many chips are left after we give Petey/Hughes their share of the pot. We might not have enough to attract them big name players to play at our table but we’ll see.

I don't mind Larsson or Savard but really they're not much improvement over Hamonic and will likely cost more. I'd prefer to target Parayko, Risto etc next year when we have cap opening up.

I'm sure Benning already had a pretty good idea of how much cap we have.

$1.5m for Edler as 6-7D is fine. Re-sign Hamonic for around $2.5 (or alternately cheaper guys like Hakanpaa, Ceci etc) as well as try to trade for Mayfield, Jenner, Foote or similar.

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield (or similar)

Juolevi, Myers

Edler

Rathbone playing #1D in Utica and a short drive down the #1 for call ups.

Minimal cap, decent improvement and leaves cap for a bigger move next year where there's better pieces.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, aGENT said:

Honestly, anyone that doesn't want him back as a solid #6-#7 D on a cheaper, likely bonus filled contract, are off their rocker.

Guy was still our best hard minute/PK D this year, even with the Covid outbreak and the $&!# show that was our schedule/practice/rest time. With more managed minutes, a regular schedule and games off to rest, I have little doubt he can play a lot closer to the 19-20 season level. Which was still pretty damn good BTW.

Edler's one of those players who experienced a renaissance of sorts as he played into his 30's. He's been very effective the last few years. Given how &^@#ed up this season was for the Nucks, and how inept our coaching staff seemed to be, I question how fair a gauge this past season is as a representation of where his game is at.

Realistically Edler shouldn't be our main horse at this point, but that doesn't mean he still can't be a valuable player for us. Clearly he wants to be here, and I question whether we'd get a better caliber play for what we'd end up giving him in terms of a contract.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... That's not what I'm referring to as hard minutes.

Well HARD minutes is what he plays for a solid 1:30 or 2 minutes. but he gets tired and gets stuck out there with no stamina to get back to the bench. Then we get scored on. Anything after the 2 min mark in any given shift for edler is bad for our team. 

6 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Well HARD minutes is what he plays for a solid 1:30 or 2 minutes. but he gets tired and gets stuck out there with no stamina to get back to the bench. Then we get scored on. Anything after the 2 min mark in any given shift for edler is bad for our team. 

Name a defenseman who's able to play a 2 minute shift without being gassed.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Edler's one of those players who experienced a renaissance of sorts as he played into his 30's. He's been very effective the last few years. Given how &^@#ed up this season was for the Nucks, and how inept our coaching staff seemed to be, I question how fair a gauge this past season is as a representation of where his game is at.

Realistically Edler shouldn't be our main horse at this point, but that doesn't mean he still can't be a valuable player for us. Clearly he wants to be here, and I question whether we'd get a better caliber play for what we'd end up giving him in terms of a contract.  

Couldn’t agree more, with the bolded. Statistically, his last three seasons were some of the stablest results of his career, since maybe the 2007-08 through 2011-12 period, which was in his prime. But his 30+ years have been much better than most, which bodes well for him being able to extend his effectiveness later than you expect from most players in his age group. He’s been good for something like 1-1.5 WAR (wins above replacement) in each of the last three seasons, and arguably has been around a $5M/season value player, and even last season only declining to around $3.5M value. Anything under about $3M for next season is probably going to prove decent value, and you’re not likely to find much better, on the open UFA market. 

Also, I see no reason why Edler can’t provide both LHD and RHD depth, at reduced minutes. His off side play has been mixed over his career, but he’s also been asked to play his off side in top-4 minutes in the past. Edler on the right side of a 3rd pairing would be something different, and I’d expect he’d handle it well, if needed. Certainly, I’d prefer him on his natural side, but just something to consider, if there’s a need for a #3RHD.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

That was happening regularly last season. Totally agree. 

With Hughes guiltier than most .... that's why I think those dreaming of Rathbone being in the running for the Calder are going to be disappointed.  He won't rack up the PP assists that are necessary with only 15 seconds at the end of a PP after QH has done his stuff

(Unless he mans the right point with QH on the left ....... )

Edited by Googlie
Afterthought

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

With Hughes guiltier than most .... that's why I think those dreaming of Rathbone being in the running for the Calder are going to be disappointed.  He won't rack up the PP assists that are necessary with only 15 seconds at the end of a PP after QH has done his stuff

I mean it's possible that Rathbone could man the other side with Hughes. I'm not expecting it to happen but it could based off his performance during the training camp. 

Only real issue I have with Edler coming back is this. Towards the end of the year, he was taking penalties that are very indicative of someone who can't quite keep up anymore. I don't mind bringing him back, AS LONG AS it is for a 3rd pairing role at best. I definitely want him to get his 100th goal with us, and also want him to retire as a Canuck. But no more top pairing minutes, no more PP and limited PK. 1-2yr contract at 1.75-2M at best. Nothing more than that. Essentially, it would be advertisement that Vancouver can be a great long term market and possibly sway a UFA or 2 that needs just a little more convincing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

2 minute shifts or even longer tells me that there is a lack of game discipline going on. Extended shifts do not build a serious Cup contender. It encourages entitlement and undermines your #2PP but also your 3rd and 4th lines if it is happening at even strength.  

• Cheers 1

If we want to be a serious contender, we need to insulate these positions via young guys with upside or players who are good at these roles, not aging players who can just "get the job done".

Cut your emotional ties and move on, like we did with Ohlund. Eagle will still be a legend in Vancouver regardless.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Only real issue I have with Edler coming back is this. Towards the end of the year, he was taking penalties that are very indicative of someone who can't quite keep up anymore.

If I recall, Edler was one of the guys who had a pretty rough bout of Covid, playing a compressed schedule at 35, with a bunch of other guys recovering from Covid, in some of the harder (defensive zone, PK etc) minutes, on a team just hanging on for dear life.

Who's going to look 'good' under those conditions?

People keep wanting to make knee jerk personnel decisions (not just Edler) based on last year. I think that is probably one of the biggest mistakes we could make.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Id much rather spend the 1.5 - 2mil that most posters think he's worth now on a younger stay at home RHD for the same. There might be some risk but also some  reward. Not even just last year with Eddy, he's shown he's lost a step ( actually a few). His offensive game is done, it seemed like he was just hammering it at the net . Hitting the first defender playing high on him or not even waiting on a player to screen the keeper. Iced passes or interceptions were common place. Getting hemmed in our end was inevitable. Taking bad penaltys is a result of his decline and that's hard to ignore. The mans been a warrior for many years on the canucks blueline and deserves much respect so i hope they  let him walk or retire this year so i can recall all those great years not the last few bad ones when i think of Eddy.

If he's willing to take a real team friendly, 1 year deal then I see no reason not to bring him back.

The left side is still not established, and I wouldn't be comfortable with an OJ and Rathbone combo as our only option to step into the 2nd and 3rd pairing roles. Those spots need to be earned. Edler brings depth and can absolutely play in a 3rd pairing role if that's what makes sense. I think with managed minutes, Edler can still contribute.

To me, its whether or not he is fine with a massive pay cut when another GM might take a flyer on a bit higher salary. I really think some are undervaluing what he brings - last season notwithstanding. If we got him for 2.5 or less, I say that's a fair deal for us.

Who knows - other guys in the twilight of their careers are taking super low salaries to be on their team of choice. Why not here too? Perhaps Edler is a man who has made enough money, and wants to help his team win. Maybe he takes 1m per, 2 years. Gives us continued depth, and all but guarantees he retires a Canuck. I think we are a playoff team next season but perhaps we really make a run the following. He could be a part of that.

As he should.

Edited by kloubek

18 hours ago, kloubek said:

If he's willing to take a real team friendly, 1 year deal then I see no reason not to bring him back.

The left side is still not established, and I wouldn't be comfortable with an OJ and Rathbone combo as our only option to step into the 2nd and 3rd pairing roles. Those spots need to be earned. Edler brings depth and can absolutely play in a 3rd pairing role if that's what makes sense. I think with managed minutes, Edler can still contribute.

To me, its whether or not he is fine with a massive pay cut when another GM might take a flyer on a bit higher salary. I really think some are undervaluing what he brings - last season notwithstanding. If we got him for 2.5 or less, I say that's a fair deal for us.

Who knows - other guys in the twilight of their careers are taking super low salaries to be on their team of choice. Why not here too? Perhaps Edler is a man who has made enough money, and wants to help his team win. Maybe he takes 1m per, 2 years. Gives us continued depth, and all but guarantees he retires a Canuck. I think we are a playoff team next season but perhaps we really make a run the following. He could be a part of that.

As he should.

I guess we will see shortly if he takes a pay cut to help out his team but for him to take on  contract for 1m/2 yrs I highly doubt. Getting solid RHD partner for OJ ( i bet rathbone spends alot of time in Abbotsford, as do a few of our upcoming prospects. First year.... I bet management would  like to impress!!) or 2 on  short  1yr show me deals has more potential for success then resigning edler. Maybe OJ doesn"t have Edler size but he surely has his IQ and much better puck moving skills,shot and passing by far. Time will tell and i hope that times given to the future not past players.

On 6/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, kloubek said:

As he should.

At under $3 million it would be honestly silly NOT to sign Edler.  It could actually be a perfect scenario to rotate the three guys we have for those two spots.  You ease the kids into more minutes, and keep Edler from wearing down like he has over the last couple seasons.

As I mentioned before, with his over 35 contract you can make it a $1.5 guaranteed and $1.5 in bonuses based on minutes/games played.  Even if he hits those bonuses, they can be pushed into next year when we have more cap space.  You aren't going to find a guy on the open market for that cheap and with that much contract flexibility.

Something like:

First 20 games of the season: Edler every game and platoon Juolevi and Rathbone into the 3rd pairing spot for roughly 10 games each
Middle 40 games: Rotate Edler out as well to have each of the 3 guys playing 25-30 games in that stretch. 
Last 20 games: Put the kid who has shown the most on the 2nd pairing, and platoon Edler and the other kid in the 3rd pairing spot

You end up with kids who are sheltered with an experienced veteran still handholding them.  You get the best out of Edler without riding him 25 minutes a game every night, and may even have him rested for a "hopeful" playoff run.

If all goes badly and one of the the kids don't measure up, you have bought yourself some time to find another body.  If all goes well, then by the end of the season you know if you have a young 2nd pairing D or whether you have to go find another one.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1