The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, Provost said:

At under $3 million it would be honestly silly NOT to sign Edler.  It could actually be a perfect scenario to rotate the three guys we have for those two spots.  You ease the kids into more minutes, and keep Edler from wearing down like he has over the last couple seasons.

Something like:

First 20 games of the season: Edler every game and platoon Juolevi and Rathbone into the 3rd pairing spot for roughly 20 games each
Middle 40 games: Rotate Edler out as well to have each of the 3 guys playing 25-30 games in that stretch. 
Last 20 games: Put the kid who has shown the most on the 2nd pairing, and platoon Edler and the other kid in the 3rd pairing spot

You end up with kids who are sheltered with an experienced veteran still handholding them.  You get the best out of Edler without riding him 25 minutes a game every night, and may even have him rested for a "hopeful" playoff run.

If all goes badly and one of the the kids don't measure up, you have bought yourself some time to find another body.  If all goes well, then by the end of the season you know if you have a young 2nd pairing D or whether you have to go find another one.

If Eddys on the team he will not be played less minutes. Greener will still try to get more out of him even with the same results. Get bigger RHD to improve the "kids" chances to get better not shelter. 

On 6/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, Dannydog said:

If Eddys on the team he will not be played less minutes. Greener will still try to get more out of him even with the same results. Get bigger RHD to improve the "kids" chances to get better not shelter. 

Yeah, at this point - Edler & Baumer should be in Abby.

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, at this point - Edler & Baumer should be in Abby.

If he regresses again, I'd agree, but I think Edler is still probably 5/6 defenseman NHL material as of what we've most recently seen.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If he regresses again, I'd agree, but I think Edler is still probably 5/6 defenseman NHL material as of what we've most recently seen.

Based on his usage with the (mostly) similar staff - if he gets paid in the 4-6 million range, he will expect top 4 minutes.  Hope can develope one of the youths to fill those minutes cause for awhile now he has been slow & his shot has been MIA.

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Based on his usage with the (mostly) similar staff - if he gets paid in the 4-6 million range, he will expect top 4 minutes.  Hope can develope one of the youths to fill those minutes cause for awhile now he has been slow & his shot has been MIA.

I would really hope he gets drastically less than $4-6M for his next contract. He was once worth that, but he shouldn't be near that for this contract IMO. He still played a lot of minutes, but his average of 20:54 per game was the lowest he's had since his rookie year back in 2006-07. He's not being used like a 2/3 like he has for most of his career.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would really hope he gets drastically less than $4-6M for his next contract. He was once worth that, but he shouldn't be near that for this contract IMO. He still played a lot of minutes, but his average of 20:54 per game was the lowest he's had since his rookie year back in 2006-07. He's not being used like a 2/3 like he has for most of his career.

X factor right now is Shaw - hope he developes one of the youths to fill the minutes and Edler can walk.

• Like 1

And the Twins won't want to see their buddy shortchanged if they are asked for their opinion 

(Probably a good reason why they shouldn't be consulted on decisions involving Edler or Eriksson)

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, gurn said:

Given a choice between Edler and Ollie, I dress Ollie or Rathbone for that matter.

Edler is mostly done  but the other 2  are just getting started.

If I was the G.M. I'd pull Travis Green aside and tell him "You will play these players, on my instruction, you will not lose your job because of how they play.  You will however be judged on how the others do".

This year was a write off quite quickly and should be nothing more than development time for next season.

Would you feel comfortable to have Juolevi or Hughes on the top pairing for next season? Despite Edler losing a step he is still a veteran presence on the back - end who plays a physical game. I would prefer to re-sign Edler on a cheap 1 year contract.

40 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Would you feel comfortable to have Juolevi or Hughes on the top pairing for next season? Despite Edler losing a step he is still a veteran presence on the back - end who plays a physical game. I would prefer to re-sign Edler on a cheap 1 year contract.

Joulevi paying a 5/6 dman roll hughes top pairing with hamonic  and 1 or 2 potential RHD's on show- me 1 yr deals. Cap  will be no problem next year so management has time to find out if  joulevi is going to put it together or jack needs more time.  Edler should step back for a year or 2 then join the twins in the organization.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I"m fine with Edler staying, hopefully as the 2nd or bettter yet 3rd d man on his side.

I just thought it was silly, last year om March 28, to not play the rookies and younger players.

I was positive at that point the team was not going to get into the play offs, so why burn up a vet, when another could learn with that playing time.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, gurn said:

I"m fine with Edler staying, hopefully as the 2nd or bettter yet 3rd d man on his side.

I just thought it was silly, last year om March 28, to not play the rookies and younger players.

I was positive at that point the team was not going to get into the play offs, so why burn up a vet, when another could learn with that playing time.

I believe they were letting him play so he could hopefully get his 100th career goal.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I believe they were letting him play so he could hopefully get his 100th career goal.

Well, there is all next season for that, as I really think he will be back.

Hopefully on a one year $3 mill or less deal, and Hamonic as well.

Especially if Schmidt is actually moved, with out another D man coming back.

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

Well, there is all next season for that, as I really think he will be back.

Hopefully on a one year $3 mill or less deal, and Hamonic as well.

Especially if Schmidt is actually moved, with out another D man coming back.

Sadly that's why I think he sat out the last game of the season, I think they thought will just sign him and let him try again next year, and I'm strongly against that unless it's for dirt cheap like 1M as a 6th/7th guy. He can't be relied on anymore as a top player, he's way to slow, his minutes need to come way down, but if that's not the plan and the plan is to sign him to still play top 4 role, then might as well just give up now and throw in the towel, because he's horrible and can't be relied on anymore in those roles.

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sadly that's why I think he sat out the last game of the season, I think they thought will just sign him and let him try again next year, and I'm strongly against that unless it's for dirt cheap like 1M as a 6th/7th guy. He can't be relied on anymore as a top player, he's way to slow, his minutes need to come way down, but if that's not the plan and the plan is to sign him to still play top 4 role, then might as well just give up now and throw in the towel, because he's horrible and can't be relied on anymore in those roles.

Until they have a better guy, he's the guy.

Dealing Schmidt with out getting a d man back just ensures we see Alex, getting big minutes again.

I'd say he would be a  good #5, and a really good #6  on a contender; however the Canucks are a couple years away from that.

Keep him under 14-15 a game, his play will pick up with less ice time at this point of his career.

• Like 1