Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D


-SN-
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Has any of his picks in the last few years been injured at all....

 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Not sure what you mean but my point, is that the young core JB was able to build will perhaps give the Canucks a good chance of competing for a cup.  Ofcourse, there are no guarantees - so who knows; and it will be our descendants to witness the Canucks winning the cup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not sure what you mean but my point, is that the young core JB was able to build will perhaps give the Canucks a good chance of competing for a cup.  Ofcourse, there are no guarantees - so who knows; and it will be our descendants to witness the Canucks winning the cup

Basically what I'm implying is I'm skeptical, but I get your optimism with them, no question I see lots of skill in them not ignoring that, but I also see undersized vulnerable players hence being skeptical.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Basically what I'm implying is I'm skeptical, but I get your optimism with them, no question I see lots of skill in them not ignoring that, but I also see undersized vulnerable players hence being skeptical.

Thanks for clarifying and it is a good point - ofcourse, no guarantee.
 

IMO, any roster deficiencies can be mitigated (to a certain degree) by a good coaching staff, with a sprinkling of a lot of luck; and when it comes to the playoffs, it will come down to how they are calling the games and what type of teams are making the playoffs.  A good coaching staff should be able field a competitive team, without having to always depend on good to great goaltending - imo.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Some of the media that suggests Edler wants to go play for a cup. LOL

 

That has never been on the top of his list. Why would an NHL team on a cup run want Edler?  That ship has sailed.

 

The truth is probably that Edler has made an agreement but they don't want to sign him until after the ED. Or they low balled him and have other plans.  

 

 

 

How the hell would you know what's on Edlers list? Bull$&!#

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well in this case you can be 99.999% certain. They can’t afford to lose Myers at this stage.

 

Gadjovich would be the only other player they would even think of protecting. They’re not using a spot on Highmore or Bowey, no chance. So therefore it’s Myers or Gadjovich. Pretty easy choice.

There is no reason to protect Myers. At 6 mill he's unlikely to get taken for what he provides with all the defensemen on the market right now. Even if he is, great, there's so much more bang for your buck on the market right now than Tyler Myers.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

How the hell would you know what's on Edlers list? Bull$&!#

His main focus has always been to play in Vancouver. He has said it over and over.

He has been given opportunities to wave his no trade at deadline time to go to a playoff team. 

What was his answer? Was it, " I want to win a cup" ? 

No  it was I want to play in Vancouver. 

 

LOL, Not sure what rock you have been sleeping under .

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

His main focus has always been to play in Vancouver. He has said it over and over.

He has been given opportunities to wave his no trade at deadline time to go to a playoff team. 

What was his answer? Was it, " I want to win a cup" ? 

No  it was I want to play in Vancouver. 

 

LOL, Not sure what rock you have been sleeping under .

Well apple, what broken crystal ball have you been sleeping under.?

 

You just say $&!# so matter of fact like your in the know when its purely speculation on your part. IMHO works well, try it once in a while

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like he just wants to test the market and see what's out there.

 

I could certainly see him circle back and sign with the Canucks, but a lot of teams will throw money at him that he won't get with us, especially a 2nd time around. Problem is he was still playing top pairing minutes last season and most top pairing defencemen get at least 4M.

 

Our goal should be to try and drop his minutes and let Hughes/Rathbone/Juolevi take them (we've done a dreadful job with the Edler-Juolevi hand over, partly due to Covid) but if Edler comes back next season and he's still our best all around defenceman, we have to play him more.

 

I wonder if this team would be better to just walk away and sign someone else/acquire someone else via a trade who we know is not as good as our current lefties but can support them, and who can be had much cheaper then? Right now I don't think we can afford more than 3.5M on a defenceman, especially considering we have to sign Hamonic (this is essential) and likely a backup goalie to replace Holtby, as well as everyone else.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two things I'm thinking about regarding Edler.

 

1) don't think he'll consider Seattle or anything but a true contender, the agent's comment about the long time losing getting to him hurts but also tells something about why he after all this time might move on.

 

2) when Reiily Smith tried to take EP:s head of last playoffs, who "accidentally" happened to steamroll Smith from behind with a crosscheck to the back/neck on the next Line change between the whistles without even getting a penalty although Smith was clearly in a lot of discomfort (refs get that kind of payback within the limits)? You know who.

Edited by J-P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

Calgary is interested

...of course they are.

 

The article says the estimated hit is 3.x X 3 years? I would never sign that. He obviously didn't have the same opportunities this season and the team sucked as a whole, but by the eye test he clearly declined. 

 

I'm all for bringing him back if we need to fill a hole, but it's gotta me less money AND less term. I'd be pretty unhappy if it was any more than 2x2. If he wants to ensure he retires a Canuck I could be ok with 3 years but it would have to be less than half the "suggested" price.

Edited by kloubek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

...of course they are.

 

The article says the estimated hit is 3.x X 3 years? I would never sign that. He obviously didn't have the same opportunities this season and the team sucked as a whole, but by the eye test he clearly declined. 

 

I'm all for bringing him back if we need to fill a hole, but it's gotta me less money AND less term. I'd be pretty unhappy if it was any more than 2x2. If he wants to ensure he retires a Canuck I could be ok with 3 years but it would have to be less than half the "suggested" price.

Yeah, I'm not signing a 3 year deal. Even 2 is a bit iffy.

 

I do think we could take advantage of 35+ contracts though. $1.5 base + say another $1m based on games played...

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm not signing a 3 year deal. Even 2 is a bit iffy.

 

I do think we could take advantage of 35+ contracts though. $1.5 base + say another $1m based on games played...

I can appreciate the sentiment. He's declining quickly. But I feel even for depth and leadership he's still useful if the price is low enough. For his sake, I'd really like to see him retire a Canuck but it can't come at a cost which handcuffs us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I can appreciate the sentiment. He's declining quickly. But I feel even for depth and leadership he's still useful if the price is low enough. For his sake, I'd really like to see him retire a Canuck but it can't come at a cost which handcuffs us.

Couldn't agree more. Would make an excellent #7 and let Rathbone/Woo marinate for another year in Abby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Victor1915 said:

Couldn't agree more. Would make an excellent #7 and let Rathbone/Woo marinate for another year in Abby.

THIS. I'm stoked for this. Rathbone looked good last year, don't get me wrong. But personally I would rather see him leading the babynucks across town logging huge minutes and being called up for injuries then grinding it on a bottom pairing or eating popcorn. 

 

Utica was solid for us, we were so lucky to have them. But I'm so pumped to have our farm team in town now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...