The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is playing a lesser role with 19 minutes a game which is better suited for him at this point in his career. He's pretty much a solid 4/5 now. 

A part of some of the former Canucks having better hockey now that they're away from the team 

He's def not a 5, there aren't many 5's playing the minutes he's playing. Still a 3-4 imo. And he's producing. 

Yes, he's having success in a smaller role, but that speaks to this team's inability to get the most out of their players. Edler, Tanev, Schmidt, Holtby.. the list goes on. Tanev's been healthy in Calgary, Schmidt and Edler are producing, Holtby's looked much better. The fact that players look better away from the team reflects horribly on management and coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I just could never get on board with anyone saying he was done. Maybe his scoring dropped off the last few seasons for us but he was still our number 1 shut down guy and still very hard to play against. I really thought we would still keep him even with OEL on the roster. I guess he thought it was time for a change and to move on...but I miss him, and so does this team in a bad way. I don't want to put it in the category of Benning "made a mistake" by not signing him, but we should not have let him go, not with out a fight. The most likely scenario is he wanted to move on so we had no chance of signing him anyways.

So crazy how time flies, I remember watching him develop on the farm back in the Manitoba Moose days, weird to watch a guy for so long, then just poof he's gone. End of a great era. But the young guns we have now need to learn to fly on their own now. 

His scoring only really dropped off last season, and last season was a disaster. His point totals leading up to last season were 34, 34, and 33, it's not as if he suddenly forgot how to produce. I've said it multiple times, last season shouldn't be used as an accurate gauge as to where the play of individual players was at. But yeah, he still ate tough minutes for us. 

OEL's been great, but him and Edler are different players. I'd have loved to have had them both. They'd both look better for it imo. 

I was really hoping he'd hit 1k games here. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He's def not a 5, there aren't many 5's playing the minutes he's playing. Still a 3-4 imo. And he's producing. 

Yes, he's having success in a smaller role, but that speaks to this team's inability to get the most out of their players. Edler, Tanev, Schmidt, Holtby.. the list goes on. Tanev's been healthy in Calgary, Schmidt and Edler are producing, Holtby's looked much better. The fact that players look better away from the team reflects horribly on management and coaching staff. 

His scoring only really dropped off last season, and last season was a disaster. His point totals leading up to last season were 34, 34, and 33, it's not as if he suddenly forgot how to produce. I've said it multiple times, last season shouldn't be used as an accurate gauge as to where the play of individual players was at. But yeah, he still ate tough minutes for us. 

OEL's been great, but him and Edler are different players. I'd have loved to have had them both. They'd both look better for it imo. 

Good point, his points took a nose dive because Hughes took his place on PP1. That's about the only reason. He's still the same old savvy vet we know and love. Steady Eddy.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Good point, his points took a nose dive because Hughes took his place on PP1. That's about the only reason. He's still the same old savvy vet we know and love. Steady Eddy.

It def contributed imo, while Hughes is a phenomenal offensive talent I think his taking the forefront offensively gave many the illusion that Edler had fallen off 

I never really saw that, his skating has slowed over the years but he's as capable as ever 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

4/5 defenseman for me is different than a 4 or a 5 seperately. I use it similarly like I would a middle 6 C or top 9 forward. Pretty much a player that can play up and down the lineup and be relied on when injuries hit and trusted more so than your typical bottom 6 forward or bottom pair defenseman.

My terminology is a little weird but that's me.

• Huggy Bear 1

• 1 year later...