The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 minute ago, ajhockey said:

I guess we'll have to hope he feels the same way as them then.

The way I see it (and I could be out to lunch), Edler must see that the writing is on the wall. Burrows and Bieksa were (and still are) beloved fan favorites who's actions propelled the team during the magnificent 2011 playoff run along with Luongo, Kesler, Daniel, and Henrik.

Edler himself, has always been more of a middling influence than the aforementioned players, never really embracing or grabbing the reigns of being a true number one defenseman for the team.

At this point, he's worth more to the Canucks in what he can bring in a trade, and he knows that Benning works hard to ensure that former players are taken care of. To hold on to his NTC and refuse a trade would signify that Edler is more concerned with complacency and comfort than competition. He's in the way of the future and needs to accept a trade and stop (0(*-blocking Benning from shaping the future core.

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The way I see it (and I could be out to lunch), Edler must see that the writing is on the wall. Burrows and Bieksa were (and still are) beloved fan favorites who's actions propelled the team during the magnificent 2011 playoff run along with Luongo, Kesler, Daniel, and Henrik.

Edler himself, has always been more of a middling influence than the aforementioned players, never really embracing or grabbing the reigns of being a true number one defenseman for the team.

At this point, he's worth more to the Canucks in what he can bring in a trade, and he knows that Benning works hard to ensure that former players are taken care of. To hold on to his NTC and refuse a trade would signify that Edler is more concerned with complacency and comfort than competition. He's in the way of the future and needs to accept a trade and stop (0(*-blocking Benning from shaping the future core.

One might wonder whether Edler's attitude towards moving changes next year with the Twins in their final year. No matter Bennings hand will be forced by the Vegas draft. I cannot see Benning losing a top 4 d-man to that draft. A deal has to be simmering.  

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

One might wonder whether Edler's attitude towards moving changes next year with the Twins in their final year. No matter Bennings hand will be forced by the Vegas draft. I cannot see Benning losing a top 4 d-man to that draft. A deal has to be simmering.  

I don't see Benning allowing that to happen. One has to think that Edler is right in his sights for a request to waive for a trade. It just makes too much sense, and is right in line with recent moves made.

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see Benning allowing that to happen. One has to think that Edler is right in his sights for a request to waive for a trade. It just makes too much sense, and is right in line with recent moves made.

I sure hope you're right, but something keeps nagging at me that Hutton will be the guy moved.  Then we would likely lose Sbisa too, in the ED.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope you're right, but something keeps nagging at me that Hutton will be the guy moved.  Then we would likely lose Sbisa too, in the ED.

While I was aboard the trade Hutton train earlier on this season, he has shown excellent poise and capability.

Edler is the obvious choice, and hopefully Benning delivers the message that they are no longer interested in his dwindling services.

• Upvote 3

I don't see Sbisa as a legitimate top 4 defenseman on many teams except for the Canucks. He's a solid #5 on most teams IMO. Compared to what other teams are losing, we are actually remarkably well off. I think Benning is sad to potentially lose Sbisa, but grateful when he looks at what other teams have to deal with losing.

2 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I don't see Sbisa as a legitimate top 4 defenseman on many teams except for the Canucks. He's a solid #5 on most teams IMO. Compared to what other teams are losing, we are actually remarkably well off. I think Benning is sad to potentially lose Sbisa, but grateful when he looks at what other teams have to deal with losing.

If you think Sbisa is a weak #4 and a strong #5 I would look through the NHL rosters again.

to me I think Edler needs a Guddy or Tram playing with him as he has been best when he skates into a one timer

it is when he pinches is the worst part of his game, all the rest of his game is decent so i say keep him and get him a better partner that he can play his style

I would say out of our d core and the time frame in which Vancouver would be pushing for cup runs makes elder the most likely candidate. Why try again to find a pairing to help him with his game. Being a veteran , isn't his skill lvl that should be elivating our youth? Not the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

On 28/03/2017 at 9:52 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

If this is the case then I agree. But also if this is the case then I do not see what good is in for Edler tio stay. I mean if you're asked to waive then that would mean you are not in the teams future plans. So to say no is wrong & can do more harm to himself as well for the future.

The Canucks can slowly ease his minutes down to a 6th or 7th defensemen which would not go so well for Edlers future deals as that would effect his value. It can also get ugly when 2 sides don't see eye to eye. Edler would be wise to realize this & move along the proper mutual respectful way. No player is bigger than the team. Who would want to stick around if their not wanted anyways?

• Upvote 1

On 28/03/2017 at 3:26 PM, cripplereh said:

to me I think Edler needs a Guddy or Tram playing with him as he has been best when he skates into a one timer

it is when he pinches is the worst part of his game, all the rest of his game is decent so i say keep him and get him a better partner that he can play his style

Keith Karlsson webber there is nobody that can make this idiot look good anymore. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah the whole shooting pucks in to the shin pads thing is pretty ridiculous, and the way he screens our own goalie is pretty frustrating as well..

At the end of the day he goes out there each and every night and gives it his all.  For awhile now he has been our top minute muncher who plays against the best players on a regular basis.  Never complains, never pouts, just goes out there and plays hard.  

He deserves our respect

i have a tendency to agree. edler plays, even if he receives the amount of criticism that he does, i'm not sure that it's always fair. 

he just is the dman that gets the brunt of the criticism from fans. 

i have respected edler for a long time. i still do. he's been a part of the team for many years, and has been a valuable contributor to the team. 

whether he wants to stay or go, that's up to him.